Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Jovocop » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 pm

ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.

Even if he costs you Franson?


Don't waste your time with him. I brought up the point yesterday and his response was:
BigTuna wrote:At this point, the Leafs are moving on from Franson. Nothing good is coming from this holdout from Franson.

He's a nice player, but no team will offer-sheet him. That almost never happens.


Seriously, why wouldn't it happen?? There are nine teams with over $3.5m cap space even with a minimum of 22 man roster and six teams have over $6m. Sabres, Senators, Flames and Avalanche would have no problems signing Franson to an offer sheet that makes life miserable for Nonis. Especially the Avalanche, Sherman is probably the only team that can and will take back Liles. Basically, Sherman can really screw Nonis big time... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby dbr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 am

As much of a tool as poster "BigTuna" acts like around these parts, never bet on an offer sheet.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Jovocop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 am

dbr wrote:As much of a tool as poster "BigTuna" acts like around these parts, never bet on an offer sheet.


Two main ingredients are missing so far:

1) The Flyers have cap problem themselves
2) Holmgren does not like Fransen much
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 am

Ryan Jones is on waivers...too bad his cap hit is $1.5M because he would be a massive improvement over Tom Sestito on the fourth line.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Jovocop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 am

herb wrote:Ryan Jones is on waivers...too bad his cap hit is $1.5M because he would be a massive improvement over Tom Sestito on the fourth line.


I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 am

Jovocop wrote:I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...


Volpatti KO'd Winchester with one punch a couple years ago...besides,we really don't need to be getting any older.

There HAS to be a better option than Sestito, who has just been dreadful. The two year extension was a head scratcher, and now it just looks like a plain horrible move.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Jovocop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I mentioned yesterday that Brad Winchester was on waivers yesterday. His cap hit is pretty much the same as Sestito. They are about the same in terms of size but at least Winchester can score a goal here and there...


Volpatti KO'd Winchester with one punch a couple years ago...besides,we really don't need to be getting any older.

There HAS to be a better option than Sestito, who has just been dreadful. The two year extension was a head scratcher, and now it just looks like a plain horrible move.


Same could be said about Alberts. :|
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Jovocop wrote:Same could be said about Alberts. :|


Yes.

Dump them both as far as I am concerned. This training camp should have been a tryout for both, and they have both failed miserably.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby SKYO » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks, they are just our foot soldiers, players who are not that fun to play against, as they just don't give a shit and play with grit and more grit, at bargain basement prices at that.

In a long season they will help in games where it is physical, don't you feel more comfy in those rowdy after the whistle clashes with those two mucking it up in there instead of our star players?
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Per » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm a bit surprised no team picked up Omark on maivers.
He has has 30 points in 65 NHL games and 47 in 46 AHL games in North America.
He had 55 points in 53 games his last season in Sweden, plus another 5 in 5 playoff games.
Last season he played in Switzerland and won their scoring title with 69 points in 48 games.

Sure, we're not talking about a superstar, but decent enough stats that it surprises me that not a single team thought he'd fit on their roster.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4008
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:49 pm

SKYO wrote:Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks...


Ummm, no they're not...depth in the NHL is king. You can't have your 6/7 defenseman and 12/13 forward costing you goals and games whenever they are in the lineup.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby SKYO » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:Sestito and Alberts are the least of our worries folks...


Ummm, no they're not...depth in the NHL is king. You can't have your 6/7 defenseman and 12/13 forward costing you goals and games whenever they are in the lineup.


On the same token, you can't have a team full of pussies either and expect to steam roll over teams, can't win a cup without some size and grit on your DEPTH lines, these muckers provide that.

Alberts is playing overly aggressive in the preseason to impress the coach me thinks, he's been here for a c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ *few season's now, so you should know he calms down and is invisible most games, which is a good thing, that is when we have all our dmen healthy and he gets the minimal amount of minutes.

In addition these are not knuckle dragging goons either that a lot of you hate with a passion.
Last edited by SKYO on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby BigTuna » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Jovocop wrote:
ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.

Even if he costs you Franson?


Don't waste your time with him. I brought up the point yesterday and his response was:
BigTuna wrote:At this point, the Leafs are moving on from Franson. Nothing good is coming from this holdout from Franson.

He's a nice player, but no team will offer-sheet him. That almost never happens.


Seriously, why wouldn't it happen?? There are nine teams with over $3.5m cap space even with a minimum of 22 man roster and six teams have over $6m. Sabres, Senators, Flames and Avalanche would have no problems signing Franson to an offer sheet that makes life miserable for Nonis. Especially the Avalanche, Sherman is probably the only team that can and will take back Liles. Basically, Sherman can really screw Nonis big time... :mrgreen:


An offer sheet is not happening. It occurs every few years and won't for Franson.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby BigTuna » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Lancer wrote:
ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.

Even if he costs you Franson?


According to fish-head there, the organization (and/or the fans) have adopted the sour grapes approach to it. The leafs are moving on/don't want him anymore/are just not that into him - that kind of thing. I guess if you don't want to be a Leaf so bad that you'll eat shit to cover up Cheeseburglar's cap ineptitude, then the Leafs and their fans don't want you. I mean, the guy was only their highest-scoring defenceman and 4th highest scorer last season, so screw him if he doesn't want to sign for $2 million/yr for 5 years or some other Nonis-friendly contract.

How to make a guy feel wanted. I hope he gets offer-sheeted no matter what picks go the other way. Leafs don't deserve him.


He's a good player. But at this point he's really hurting his career. All that momentum he picked-up from his play last season is going down the toilet.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby BigTuna » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm

ESQ wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Even if he doesn't work out, it's hard to say it was a mistake for 1 million and the way he played to make the team.

Even if he costs you Franson?


It won't.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ESQ, Google [Bot] and 25 guests