Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:That's four more years of the twins, I think signing them longer than that could be a big mistake. They'll be in their late-30s by then and there's a good chance they'll be a lot slower than they already are... which is pretty slow.

Most of the forwards you see excelling in the 38+ range (Selanne, Alfredsson) are and always have been great skaters.
Unlike Selanne and Alfredsson, Sedins' game was never about skating anyway. Their strengths are protecting the puck along the board, cycling until the defense are dizzy and making an unbelievable pass for someone to tap in. For that reason alone, I think they would still be fine after three years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote: I would frigging cream myself if we got the Sedins (no apostrophe necessary Aaron) locked up with a cap hit of 5 to 5.5. I just wouldn't want an extension term of more than three years.

That's four more years of the twins, I think signing them longer than that could be a big mistake. They'll be in their late-30s by then and there's a good chance they'll be a lot slower than they already are... which is pretty slow.
I wouldn't be opposed to signing up to 5 years at around $5M, like I said the Sedin's (apostrophe's are always for you Rummy ;) ) because they are under 35 and a retirement doesn't hamstring us.

Also would depend on the structure of the deal - what NMC/NTC exist. Give them a NMC for the first 3 years but player and team outs in the last two depending on the direction of the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Why can't the Sedin's be signed to retirement contracts and not be the focal points of the team.

If there's anything we've learned (or at least some of us anyways) is that depth and health wins in the playoffs. Turfing the Sedin's and replacing then with whatever we can for their money is not going to increase the depth of this team. If the Sedin's have support from a legitimate second line there's no reason the Canucks cannot still be contenders for a few years.

I highly doubt the Sedin's are looking for high value contracts at this point, they're already set for life and want to win. I'm sure they also completely understand that they aren't getting younger and will eventually be relied upon for support instead of our primary scoring.

Look at what $5M per year gets you these days. I think they could be signed to AAV contracts at around $5M per. Why wouldn't we do this when the cap will likely continue to increase. Hell they aren't 35 yet either so they could retire at any point if they felt they no longer had it in them and nothing would count against the cap.

It's baffling that people think the Sedin's production and value to this team can be so easily replaced.
Nice posting.

Secondary scoring is essential in the playoffs.

Ass is assholishness.

Everyone knows the Great Strangelove has been screaming for more assholishness for years.

This is partly due to the fact your Don Docksteader All Stars are indeed pussies.

This is fine as long as they are putting up points and making teams pay on the PP

... but you must surround your pussy point producers with assholes.

Ass hass always been the case in the NHL.

For years, every summer, the Great Strangelove has argued this will never change.

LOFL at the "New NHL" folk.

The Great Strangelove is good with wrapping these two pussies up with one more contract.

If they're willing to sign a 3-4 year deal at a $5mil cap hit... well you just do it.

The cap is bound to increase drastically and as you say we can trust them to retire when they're done.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I've always agreed about the assholiness of this team. Definitely need more of it.

Kassian as a fit with the twins would be huge. A healthy asshole in Kesler and the a return not of the whiny Burrows but rather the asshole that caused opponents to despise playing against him would be a welcome sight.

As has been said, assholes breed assholes. Torts is a grade A asshole and may be able to bring out the best in the players.

AV's mantra was to play between the whistles, which is what lead to the infamous Marchand speed bagging of Daniel. That will not fly with Torts, definitely not if a guy like Kassian is playing with the Sedins.

It's very simple really, when we have one line to shut down it's far easier to beat the Canucks, especially in the post season. Same goes for any team. The other team puts their shut down guys and top pairing out against them regularly. They may still average around a PPG but when the rest of the team does jack squat who cares!

We need help from throughout the lineup, which we haven't received since 2011.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Agreed Torts helps men get in touch with their inner asshole.

And that assholes breed assholes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So does bargain store toilet paper.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Aaronp18 wrote: Why can't the Sedin's be signed to retirement contracts and not be the focal points of the team.

If there's anything we've learned (or at least some of us anyways) is that depth and health wins in the playoffs. Turfing the Sedin's and replacing then with whatever we can for their money is not going to increase the depth of this team. If the Sedin's have support from a legitimate second line there's no reason the Canucks cannot still be contenders for a few years.

I highly doubt the Sedin's are looking for high value contracts at this point, they're already set for life and want to win. I'm sure they also completely understand that they aren't getting younger and will eventually be relied upon for support instead of our primary scoring.

Look at what $5M per year gets you these days. I think they could be signed to AAV contracts at around $5M per. Why wouldn't we do this when the cap will likely continue to increase. Hell they aren't 35 yet either so they could retire at any point if they felt they no longer had it in them and nothing would count against the cap.

It's baffling that people think the Sedin's production and value to this team can be so easily replaced.
If they're signed to $4.5-5M each then that's another story. But when I hear Sedin and Retirement Contract, I'm picturing it'll be 4-5 years at $6.5-7M each year, and to me that's ridiculous. We will regret it the moment they sign it. Hell we'll regret it before the contracts even kick in assuming it's signed before the season starts.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote: Haha. Mike Cammalleri.

Hey! Don't laugh. He's gonna be a big part of the Flames offense this year, and, according to him, he has been asked to take a leadership role in the room and on the ice.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Haha. Mike Cammalleri.

Hey! Don't laugh. He's gonna be a big part of the Flames offense this year, and, according to him, he has been asked to take a leadership role in the room and on the ice.
Leading them where? To the #1 draft pick next summer??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Tciso wrote: Leading them where? To the #1 draft pick next summer??
Talking to some Flames fans I know (fairly logical ones) and this is exactly what they are hoping for.

In 2014 and 2015.

If Calamari is your leader that's exactly where they're headed!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Y'know, I've been thinking about this and maybe we should just let the season play out before we commit X amount of dollars and X amount of years to an extension.

What's the rush? I highly doubt they are going to raise their value but they may well lower it.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:And that assholes breed assholes.
But you can't breed via asshole... hence Pauser's lack of offspring.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Rumsfeld wrote:Y'know, I've been thinking about this and maybe we should just let the season play out before we commit X amount of dollars and X amount of years to an extension.

What's the rush? I highly doubt they are going to raise their value but they may well lower it.
Good thinking. The chances of them leaving for greener pastures is almost zilch. But if this year goes badly - and there are risks - new coach, unhappy #1 goalie - then they might just consider a move. The cap going up next year will make them more affordable to other teams too. Going to be interesting!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Zedlee wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Y'know, I've been thinking about this and maybe we should just let the season play out before we commit X amount of dollars and X amount of years to an extension.

Good thinking. The chances of them leaving for greener pastures is almost zilch. But if this year goes badly - and there are risks - new coach, unhappy #1 goalie - then they might just consider a move. The cap going up next year will make them more affordable to other teams too. Going to be interesting!
Here's a thought regarding an unhappy #1 goaltender who wants to play in Florida.....

What if mid season rolls around, Lou is unhappy here, the Panthers are struggling again, but have a new owner with some deeper pockets, and suddenly the door is open to move Luongo where he wants to go. Do you pull the trigger on a deal that sends Louie home in exchange for Tim Thomas and a 1st round pick?

Figured I should edit this to explain my rationale.....

Thomas will likely be less than stellar behind a team that doesn't block a lot of shots and isn't great at playing defense. But he will still be a guy who can make that first save, and will still be a tried and true battler.

Torts philosophy is that you play defense and block shots, you clear the net, and you don't play like pussies. Thomas might be good enough to get it done here behind a team that buys into that system. So we still would have an experienced starting goaltender, a you goaltender who is developing (hopefully quickly), and a high pick.

This belongs in the ridiculous trade proposal thread, doesn't it
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:
Zedlee wrote:

Here's a thought regarding an unhappy #1 goaltender who wants to play in Florida.....

What if mid season rolls around, Lou is unhappy here, the Panthers are struggling again, but have a new owner with some deeper pockets, and suddenly the door is open to move Luongo where he wants to go. Do you pull the trigger on a deal that sends Louie home in exchange for Tim Thomas and a 1st round pick?
Well, considering Gillis would have killed to get a 1st for Luongo last year and LouGina will almost certainly not have changed their mind about leaving, I'd have to say yes...

But who knows WTF will be going on by then.

And Thomas isn't going to allow himself to be traded in his retirement season methinks... especially to a commie liberal shithole like Vancouver.