Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

herb
CC Legend

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by herb »

^ Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels, Subban, etc. will all be going back to Junior if/when they don't make the Canucks.

CHL eligibility can be confusing. Some of these guys could play with the Canucks or Comets towards the end of the year if their CHL team misses the playoffs or is eliminated early, like we saw with Corrado last year. I think a guy has to be 18 to play in the AHL.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote:
dangler wrote: I think the organisation has realized they need a new #1 line ASAP.

The Sedins and Kesler still have lots to offer but for any success to occur in the near future it will definitely come only with consistent contributions from the whole team as the Sedins best is behind them and Keslers style of play leads to injuries.
Sedins would be the best 2nd line in the league for a number of seasons yet.
You make getting a new #1 line seem so easy! Patience people! The stars haven't aligned for this team the past two playoffs, all this team needs is health and a solid 3rd line to develop to have success in the playoffs, re-sign the Sedin's till they retire, they are the teams best chance at a cup in the next 4 to 5 years, then we'll have to hope and pray that Horvat can take over from there with an aging war veteran Kesler at that point.
Never said it would be easy. I'm sure Gillis didn't find trading Schneider a easy decision.And he obviously felt the lineup wasn't going to be able to do any better than the last 2 seasons when he made that decision.
I don't see ASAP happening for another couple of seasons.I'm sure the Sedins will stay Canucks until THEY decide to retire, and thats a good thing IMO, but like spidey says "We have been leaning on them for years. Now it's time for the next wave to start to take over. "
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Kesler isn't good enough to be a 1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

vic wrote:Kesler isn't good enough to be a 1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
??? Please tell Samuelsson,Raymond,Hansen and Burrows that BS..
He hasn't had anybody on the second line worth shite for the last 2 years..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Skyo Said:

It's the short term we are trying to win the cup and if you guys ever want to see a cup soon,
re-signing the Sedin's is your best bet at that.
;

Well you quoted my post but apparently don't believe the real statistics..
Basically the Sedins have sucked defensively in the playoffs bigtime..

Again.. here are the stats..
H Sedin.. 940 regular season games is a +200 in 99 playoff games a -15
D Sedin ..906 regular season games is a +172 in 96 playoff games a -11

Great regular seasons followed by massive suckage in the playoffs.. :(

and :
You make getting a new #1 line seem so easy! Patience people! The stars haven't aligned for this
team the past two playoffs, all this team needs is health and a solid 3rd line to develop to have
success in the playoffs, re-sign the Sedin's till they retire, they are the teams best chance at a cup
in the next 4 to 5 years, then we'll have to hope and pray that Horvat can take over from there with
an aging war veteran Kesler at that point.

Maybe you forget the 2011 playoff run ? It was Keslers line that starred against the tough defensive teams
Not the Sedins. They had the pleasure of being on the ice for all 4 goals against ( 1 a shorthanded goal )
in the final game against the Bruins ..Depending on the Sedins to "lead the team" has resulted in the last 2 years fast playoff exits..Time for a change !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:CHL eligibility can be confusing. Some of these guys could play with the Canucks or Comets towards the end of the year if their CHL team misses the playoffs or is eliminated early, like we saw with Corrado last year. I think a guy has to be 18 to play in the AHL.
Although if a CHL team holds that player's rights they can keep him out of the AHL until age 20 if I'm not mistaken (which is why Jensen played in Europe last year - felt he was done with the CHL but they wouldn't let him advance to the A).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tiger wrote:Well you quoted my post but apparently don't believe the real statistics..
Basically the Sedins have sucked defensively in the playoffs bigtime..

Again.. here are the stats..
H Sedin.. 940 regular season games is a +200 in 99 playoff games a -15
D Sedin ..906 regular season games is a +172 in 96 playoff games a -11

Great regular seasons followed by massive suckage in the playoffs.. :(
Putting aside your ridiculous use of plus/minus, even if the Sedins aren't ideal first liners you still have to replace them with two players that are for the same money or less if you want to get any closer to winning the Stanley Cup any time soon.

What do you think Sedin money gets you in the UFA market this year? Maybe Paul Stastny and Ryan Callahan if you're lucky? Perhaps Phil Kessel and Dave Bolland, or Thomas Vanek and Mikhail Grabovski?

None of that makes us a better team right now unless you think the Sedins are some insidious disease infecting this franchise.
Maybe you forget the 2011 playoff run ? It was Keslers line that starred against the tough defensive teams
Not the Sedins. They had the pleasure of being on the ice for all 4 goals against ( 1 a shorthanded goal )
in the final game against the Bruins ..Depending on the Sedins to "lead the team" has resulted in the last 2 years fast playoff exits..Time for a change !
Not having enough players like the Sedins (or Kesler for that matter) has resulted in playoff exits.

Hardly a reason to dump two of our best players.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dbr wrote: Not having enough players like the Sedins (or Kesler for that matter) has resulted in playoff exits.
Wrong Dave,,, We lost because Brad Marchant punched Daniel in the face and the team was completely emasculated after that.

The roster, the coaches, the injuries,,, none of that mattered. We would have won if Daniel wasn't such a pussy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Potatoe1 wrote:
dbr wrote: Not having enough players like the Sedins (or Kesler for that matter) has resulted in playoff exits.
Wrong Dave,,, We lost because Brad Marchant punched Daniel in the face and the team was completely emasculated after that.

The roster, the coaches, the injuries,,, none of that mattered. We would have won if Daniel wasn't such a pussy.
Nope 7uongo. :devil:
just buggin
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

We should all love the thought of re-signing the Sedins, especially to retirement contracts, if we hate the idea of winning a Cup. I guarantee you that we will not win a Stanley Cup as long as the Sedins are the "leaders" and focal points on this team. They just aren't good enough in the playoffs to get the job done. How many failures do we need to witness before people finally admit it? It's clear as day people! Open your freakin eyes!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The_Pauser wrote:We should all love the thought of re-signing the Sedins, especially to retirement contracts, if we hate the idea of winning a Cup. I guarantee you that we will not win a Stanley Cup as long as the Sedins are the "leaders" and focal points on this team. They just aren't good enough in the playoffs to get the job done. How many failures do we need to witness before people finally admit it? It's clear as day people! Open your freakin eyes!!
The chance of winning the cup is 1/16 if they make the playoffs. The chance of not winning the cup is 15/16. Hmm, I really like your odds.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

The_Pauser wrote:We should all love the thought of re-signing the Sedins, especially to retirement contracts, if we hate the idea of winning a Cup. I guarantee you that we will not win a Stanley Cup as long as the Sedins are the "leaders" and focal points on this team. They just aren't good enough in the playoffs to get the job done. How many failures do we need to witness before people finally admit it? It's clear as day people! Open your freakin eyes!!
Why can't the Sedin's be signed to retirement contracts and not be the focal points of the team.

If there's anything we've learned (or at least some of us anyways) is that depth and health wins in the playoffs. Turfing the Sedin's and replacing then with whatever we can for their money is not going to increase the depth of this team. If the Sedin's have support from a legitimate second line there's no reason the Canucks cannot still be contenders for a few years.

I highly doubt the Sedin's are looking for high value contracts at this point, they're already set for life and want to win. I'm sure they also completely understand that they aren't getting younger and will eventually be relied upon for support instead of our primary scoring.

Look at what $5M per year gets you these days. I think they could be signed to AAV contracts at around $5M per. Why wouldn't we do this when the cap will likely continue to increase. Hell they aren't 35 yet either so they could retire at any point if they felt they no longer had it in them and nothing would count against the cap.

It's baffling that people think the Sedin's production and value to this team can be so easily replaced.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote:
It's baffling that people think the Sedin's production and value to this team can be so easily replaced.
Mouth breathers think most anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:It's baffling that people think the Sedin's production and value to this team can be so easily replaced.
Keep in mind this is the guy who wanted to let them both walk and sign Mike Cammalleri and Marian Gaborik instead.

I mean, just.... :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Aaronp18 wrote:Look at what $5M per year gets you these days. I think they could be signed to AAV contracts at around $5M per.
Hey, that's exactly what I said and the oy-ster cult got their collective panties in a knot.

I would frigging cream myself if we got the Sedins (no apostrophe necessary Aaron) locked up with a cap hit of 5 to 5.5. I just wouldn't want an extension term of more than three years.

That's four more years of the twins, I think signing them longer than that could be a big mistake. They'll be in their late-30s by then and there's a good chance they'll be a lot slower than they already are... which is pretty slow.

Most of the forwards you see excelling in the 38+ range (Selanne, Alfredsson) are and always have been great skaters.

That said, I believe the extension term will be four years at 5.5 per. Which I would not complain about.

Haha. Mike Cammalleri.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society