Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:"$45.5 Million Dollars over 7 years for Alex Pietrangelo in St.Louis."
~John Shannon
Damn, that's a great cap hit and term for a guy who will likely be a Norris contender for years to come.

St. Loo's blue line is stacked.
Really good deal for St Louis.

Same cap hit as Phaneuf and Karlsson. $500,000 less than Doughty. $1M less than Ryan Suter. Pietrangelo is the best player out of all of them, imo.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:With a falling Canuck buck and no economic recovery south of 49.

Vancouver already ran into corporate sponsorship difficulty in the playoffs last year. Do you expect Rodgers/Bell to support all the teams?
Not gonna get into this again.

Those who should know are projecting massive growth.

Out-of-towners are arriving any minute.

Gonna party like Rummy all weekend long.

:rockin: :cheers: :drunk: :mex: :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

This is just ridiculous. How do other owners feel?? :evil:

This was the anthem scene at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla., this afternoon for Predators-Panthers. It proves once and for all that there's no better setting for preseason hockey than a doubleheader that begins at 2:30 on a Monday in south Florida in the middle of September.
http://deadspin.com/the-florida-panther ... socialflow
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

NJ Devils have invited Damien Brunner to camp on a PTO. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Thomas had major league horse shoes the last couple of seasons with Boston and he had a Stanley cup calibre defence in front of him. He is going to get absolutely lit up if he comes out of retirement for the panthers. He's gonna need sunscreen from all ultraviolet rays coming off the goal light.
You may very well be right, but I'm hoping you're wrong

... seeing as how the Cats are now in the same division as the Leaves. :mrgreen:

Thomas + Markstrom is a lot stronger than Markstrom + Clemmensen.

For the same reason, I'm glad that idjit Yzerman picked up Bishop just after the realignment announcement.

Bishop + Lindback is a lot stronger than Lindback + Garon.

BLOW LEAVES BLOW!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jovocop wrote:This is just ridiculous. How do other owners feel?? :evil:
Well I am going to guess they don't want to open up the pandora's box of "what is HRR" just to deprive the Panthers of revenue sharing dollars (given their parent company is doing just fine despite the poor attendance and low prices) given that would be a fucking nightmare the next time CBA negotiations roll around..
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432270
The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms on a seven-year, $42 million contract extension with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Nugent-Hopkins, 20, has one year remaining on his three-year entry-level contract with the Oilers.

Watch the news conference live on TSN.ca at 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt.

The first overall pick from the 2011 NHL Draft had four goals and 20 assists in 40 games in Edmonton last season.

In 102 games over his first two seasons, Nugent-Hopkins has 22 goals and 54 assists.
The Oilers will have $32.175m committed to 8 forwards, $7m on two defensemen, and ZERO goalies for next season. Yakupov will be looking for a huge raise the season after. Basically, $40m on 10 players only with no goalies... It will be interesting to see how the Oilers are going to re-sign all their RFAs and UFAs at the end of the season.

Forwards
Hemsky - UFA ($5m)
Smyth - UFA ($2.25m)
Jones - UFA ($1.5m)
Eager - UFA ($1.2m)
Brown - UFA ($0.737m)

Defensemen
Justin Schultz - RFA ($3.775m)
Nick Schultz - UFA ($3.5m)
Petry - RFA ($1.75m)
Grebeshkov - UFA ($1.5m)

Goalies
Dubnyk - UFA ($3.5m)
LaBarbera - UFA ($1m)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

They'll be fine for a couple more years... Smyth and Hemsky will walk or get dumped at the deadline if the Oilers are out of it.

Plus the cap going up, yada yada...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:They'll be fine for a couple more years... Smyth and Hemsky will walk or get dumped at the deadline if the Oilers are out of it.

Current Cap: $64.3m
Assumed that the cap goes up to $70m next season. That means the Oilers will have $30m to sign 2 NHL goalies, a minimum of 4 defensemen and 4 forwards. I assume that they will have to carry at least one extra defenseman and one extra forward...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:They'll be fine for a couple more years... Smyth and Hemsky will walk or get dumped at the deadline if the Oilers are out of it.

Current Cap: $64.3m
Assumed that the cap goes up to $70m next season. That means the Oilers will have $30m to sign 2 NHL goalies, a minimum of 4 defensemen and 4 forwards. I assume that they will have to carry at least one extra defenseman and one extra forward...
The forwards they'll need to sign are all third/fourth line guys, and we've seen how cheaply they can be aquired under the new CBA.

I dunno, I hope they're completely fucked but I don't see major cause for alarm when I look at their roster.

Yet.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

RNH, wow. So much for "bridge contracts". (Nazem Kadri has virtually identical career numbers and had a much better year last year.)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

darren wrote:RNH, wow. So much for "bridge contracts". (Nazem Kadri has virtually identical career numbers and had a much better year last year.)
The Oilers are basically banking on the idea that all of their young players are going to explode PK Subban style and that a bridge contract basically just means that on the deal after they'll be paying them $8m each instead of $6m.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Watching the highlights...

According to TSN, Letting Raymond go will come back to haunt us. 2 goals in 2 games, and MayRay is the next coming of Pavel Bure.....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm just happy the Oil are paying a lot of their cap space mostly on wingers! only RNH with the wonky shoulder is their top center.

Sam the wise Gagner is an adequate 2nd line center, however he's making almost $5M per now.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Watching the highlights...

According to TSN, Letting Raymond go will come back to haunt us. 2 goals in 2 games, and MayRay is the next coming of Pavel Bure.....
Only preseason. :D

Only a matter of time till he goes back to skating full speed up the ice, do a loop, shoot puck at goalie's chest or lose puck while falling down numerous times.