The Future

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Future

Post by Topper »

Prediction

Hansen steps up this season with a defined structure put in place by Tortorella and surpasses burrows on the depth chart.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Mëds wrote:As far as Kassian goes, I look at Booth's contract and think it is safe to say that a 30 year old with his injury prone track record will not be getting re-signed here without putting in at least 70 games and 60 points. If he does get a new deal if will be at a reduced rate. Chances are I think Booth will be gone by either this deadline or 2015's. I think that paves the way for Gillis to re-sign Kassian on a short term (1-2 years) bridge contract.....depending upon Zack's season this year.
If Booth puts up 60 points in 70 games he is well worth his current contract and we probably won't be able to resign him.

Someone will offer him stupid money like the Clarkson deal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Knucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote:As far as Kassian goes, I look at Booth's contract and think it is safe to say that a 30 year old with his injury prone track record will not be getting re-signed here without putting in at least 70 games and 60 points. If he does get a new deal if will be at a reduced rate. Chances are I think Booth will be gone by either this deadline or 2015's. I think that paves the way for Gillis to re-sign Kassian on a short term (1-2 years) bridge contract.....depending upon Zack's season this year.
If Booth puts up 60 points in 70 games he is well worth his current contract and we probably won't be able to resign him.

Someone will offer him stupid money like the Clarkson deal.
That should have read 60 points in/and/or 70 games.

60 in 82 would be great.

If he plays 70 and gets 50 then that's great.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:Prediction

Hansen steps up this season with a defined structure put in place by Tortorella and surpasses burrows on the depth chart.
I like Hansen a lot but I doubt he surpasses Burrows offensively unless Burr really drops off. Burrows has great offensive instincts and Hansen, while reasonably skilled, really lacks in that department.

Underrated stickhandler though.

I will predict a 30g 40a campaign for Kesler, provided he can play a full season (lol). His stride hasn't been the same since that groin tear against the Sharks in '11, and I'm hoping a long summer of rest and a full camp will help him regain that half-step he's been missing.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

If Booth gets 50 points in 70 games or so his contract will be a bargain compared to those being handed out now.

Not that I think those contracts are good value, but what the hell do I know, nobodies paying me the big bucks to make these decisions.

Hanson in my opinion has untaped offensive potential.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The future of this team hinges on Kassian, he is the poster boy for the future of this organization, leading the way for the next grouping. If he doesn't pan out, this team's future is a serious work in progress. If Schroeder could step it up then we may not be so bad. Kesler will be the veteren leader of the next group.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

[quote="RoyalDude"]The future of this team hinges on Kassian, he is the poster boy for the future of this organization, leading the way for the next grouping. If he doesn't pan out, this team's future is a serious work in progress. If Schroeder could step it up then we may not be so bad. Kesler will be the veteren leader of the next group.[/quote]

Not if we re-sign the twins to a massive long-term deal like so many here are hoping.

Kassian has massive potential but if he doesn't show some real production this year then the Hodgson trade is going to look really shitty. I, personally, don't see the skill levels in him that some Canucks fans seem to but he clearly has a pretty special set of physical tools.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The future of this team hinges on Kassian, he is the poster boy for the future of this organization, leading the way for the next grouping. If he doesn't pan out, this team's future is a serious work in progress. If Schroeder could step it up then we may not be so bad. Kesler will be the veteren leader of the next group.[/quote]

Not if we re-sign the twins to a massive long-term deal like so many here are hoping.

Kassian has massive potential but if he doesn't show some real production this year then the Hodgson trade is going to look really shitty. I, personally, don't see the skill levels in him that some Canucks fans seem to but he clearly has a pretty special set of physical tools.
Yeah, I don't get the desire to sign the Sedins to long term retirement contracts.

2-3 years max.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Am I the only guy here who thinks that in 2-3 years Kesler will be all used up as a power forward??

If he drops into beast mode for a couple seasons and puts this team on his back, plays all out, the cumulative wear and tear he will receive will almost guarantee he won't be the first line Center here after the twins are done. And if he is the top pivot then, we are in serious trouble.

In 3 years, we better hope Horvat develops or we trade for a top pivot, Because we will need one by then.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The other 'future' scenario with Kesler, is to trade him in a couple seasons if his stock is relatively still high and it's looking like the Nucks need to rebuild the core. Could see that playing out. The Sedins will retire Canucks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Mëds wrote:Tanev will be interesting. He's going to either step up this year and take some big strides, in which case he can probably ask for $3M next year, or he spins his wheels and makes GMMG's job a bit easier. Regardless, I'm not sure where the money comes from for him, and I do think it's very important to keep him as we aren't exactly stocked with blueline prospects at the moment.
I think the Canucks have quite a few defence prospects:

Frank Corrado
Ben Hutton
Patrick McNally
Henrik Tommernes
Jordan Subban
Peter Andersson
Anton Cederholm
Adam Polasek
Miles Liberati
Mike Williamson

... the queastion is if any will make the leap to the NHL.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Why are we shitting the bed about prospect depth on the back end? There are no open spots in our top-4. There probably won't be for another 3 seasons, until about 2016, when Bieksa and Hamhuis' contracts expire. Until that time, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison all have NTC's and are all established.

If someone like Corrado or Tanev devlops and force's us to move one of the top-4 that's fantastic. Otherwise, there's no rush. We're set there. If the top-4 struggle, we're in a jam regardless. If injuries occur, chances are we can call up a Corrado.

Forward is the position I'm worried about. We need more of them, and at every position and role.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Southern_Canuck wrote: I think the Canucks have quite a few defence prospects:

Frank Corrado
Ben Hutton
Patrick McNally
Henrik Tommernes
Jordan Subban
Peter Andersson
Anton Cederholm
Adam Polasek
Miles Liberati
Mike Williamson

S_C
Soooo....basically after Frankie we have diddley squat.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The future of this team hinges on Kassian, he is the poster boy for the future of this organization, leading the way for the next grouping. If he doesn't pan out, this team's future is a serious work in progress. If Schroeder could step it up then we may not be so bad. Kesler will be the veteren leader of the next group.[/quote]

I think a full year under the tutelage of Torts and playing full time with the Sedins, Kassian will become a behemoth of a player this season!

The Sedin's really need a player like Kass on their line as he helps give them some space and protection, a real deterrent finally, plus he's not a pest like Burrows, so if Torts gives them time to develop chemistry and doesn't muck around with the lines too much, this trio should benefit tremendously.

And if Kass does play full time with the Sedins, MG should be starting the process of re-signing Kassassasin asap to get a good deal, kinda like how MG signed Burrows 2nd contract before he took off while playing with the twins.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: I think the Canucks have quite a few defence prospects:

Frank Corrado
Ben Hutton
Patrick McNally
Henrik Tommernes
Jordan Subban
Peter Andersson
Anton Cederholm
Adam Polasek
Miles Liberati
Mike Williamson

S_C
Soooo....basically after Frankie we have diddley squat.
Pretty much