Jovo trade?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will Jovo be traded?

yes
19%
no
81%

Total votes: 26

vancando
AHL Prospect

Post by vancando »

if it were up to me, i would trade bertuzzi (to dump some salary) and then use it to resign Jovo.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I don't think Jovo will be traded ... at least not right now ... he is playing very well and contributing to the team ... that could also be argued I guess that his trade value is high too but I don't think anything will happen.

What or who would we trade him for ... ?? Prospects ?? ... maybe a better goalie ?? No point in trading him for a forward as we are pretty solid ... and it wouldn't make sense just to trade him for another D-man.

Part of whats been happening in Vancouver the last couple of years or so has been the development of team chemistry ... keeping the same guys together, keeping them happy ... as a result, correct me if i am wrong, we have developed a very "tight bunch" ... and that in my mind is showing up in our record and will continue on through to the playoffs ... So NO for now to the Jovo trade.

Grizz
cupboundnucks
AHL Prospect

Post by cupboundnucks »

Grizzly wrote:I don't think Jovo will be traded ... at least not right now ... he is playing very well and contributing to the team ... that could also be argued I guess that his trade value is high too but I don't think anything will happen.

What or who would we trade him for ... ?? Prospects ?? ... maybe a better goalie ?? No point in trading him for a forward as we are pretty solid ... and it wouldn't make sense just to trade him for another D-man.

Part of whats been happening in Vancouver the last couple of years or so has been the development of team chemistry ... keeping the same guys together, keeping them happy ... as a result, correct me if i am wrong, we have developed a very "tight bunch" ... and that in my mind is showing up in our record and will continue on through to the playoffs ... So NO for now to the Jovo trade.

Grizz

Grizz i think you have to be a little more realistic....with this cap...we simply may not be able to afford jovo.
So why not get something in return???
i'd rather keep bert than jovo.....the sedins in my opinion are more valuable to this team than jovo is.

managemnet has done a great job of keeping the "core" together...keeping everyone happy...but a man can only do so much within the given numbers....

If the cap stays where it is ...and the nucks cant give jovo themoney he wants...and he wont take a paycut...then u gotta trade him for a good young dman like jaybo or someone else....or maybe a first round pick..(it would be nice to have an offensive prospect for the future)...but l ike i said earlier in this thread..if the cap gets pushed up a few million we may have room for eddie :)
94-95
"hey i jus got off work..did the nucks win the cup?"
"YEA THEY DID "
"no just kidding"
Media_Man
AHL Prospect

Post by Media_Man »

I think what will really determine Jovo's value to the team is if he pulls a Nassy and signs here for cheaper than what he'd get on the open market. There is room next year. Don't forget Park and Carter are on one way deals. If Cloutier tanks it in the playoffs again, look for him to be moved. Losing Ruutu would be another option, especially with Bouck healthy and able to play that role at $450,000. There would be money there, but some of the fringe players may be on the way out.
I only report the facts!!!!
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Media_Man wrote:I think what will really determine Jovo's value to the team is if he pulls a Nassy and signs here for cheaper than what he'd get on the open market. There is room next year. Don't forget Park and Carter are on one way deals. If Cloutier tanks it in the playoffs again, look for him to be moved. Losing Ruutu would be another option, especially with Bouck healthy and able to play that role at $450,000. There would be money there, but some of the fringe players may be on the way out.
Yes but I don't get the impression that Jovo would be quite as generous as Naslund in accepting a paycut to stay here. I remember one particular article earlier in the summer when he said he was pleased at the lucrative deals being signed by the free-agent defencemen and how things were looking good for him next year. Not exactly the sort of quote that instills confidence in fans that he wants to stay in Vancouver at a reduced cost....
Media_Man
AHL Prospect

Post by Media_Man »

Jovo knows he's a premier defenseman. His agent, Pat Morris certainly knows. And I believe too, that he's wanting to cash in, and make up for the money that he lost in the lockout.

Like I said in a previous post, George, everything to do with Jovanovski's life, except the hockey team, is out east. His family. His wife's family. Their home in Boca Raton, where the wife spends most of the hockey season so their youngest can attend kindergarten. Hell, the guy's been here six years, and he still hasn't got rid of his Florida license plates on his hummer. And it wouldn't surprize me a bit if he doesn't accept any offers from the Canucks this season, and becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.
I only report the facts!!!!
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

I will be very surprised if Jovo re-signs here after this year is up...

Too many outside factors working against it.

However, I am not in favour of shipping a dynamic player of his caliber out while this team is poised to make a run into the playoffs...Especially not a defender capable of giving us 25-30 minutes a game as a rear-gaurd.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think all the pieces are there to gurantee a move for Jovo, when who knows. But if the Canucks have apparent stregnth any where it's on defence. Boudon (sp) Bieska who was supposed to start the season here, Mojiz one of the better players in camp, Skinner a year in the AHL and even maybe even Doig they obivouly believe in him as they just signed him to a Canucks contract. So with a surplus of cheap alternatives they'd be crasy not to. However maybe they're going to see the season through and if they don't get well in to the play-offs there will be more than Jovo moving
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Grizz i think you have to be a little more realistic....with this cap...we simply may not be able to afford jovo.
So why not get something in return???
i'd rather keep bert than jovo.....the sedins in my opinion are more valuable to this team than jovo is.

managemnet has done a great job of keeping the "core" together...keeping everyone happy...but a man can only do so much within the given numbers....

If the cap stays where it is ...and the nucks cant give jovo themoney he wants...and he wont take a paycut...then u gotta trade him for a good young dman like jaybo or someone else....or maybe a first round pick..(it would be nice to have an offensive prospect for the future)...but l ike i said earlier in this thread..if the cap gets pushed up a few million we may have room for eddie
Thats a fair comment .... I just feel that for right now though he shouldn't be traded because I think its way too early in the season to make a deal for him... however ....

... down the road if it is looking like the cap is going to stay where it is, and it's looking like Jovo will be wanting more money, then I would agree with you that it might be tough to fit him in under the cap and it would be smart to consider our options.... for sure you are right there ... we don't want to end up with nothing,.

Some big questions though ...
... when will we find out if the cap is going up or down ??
... how much is Jovo worth now .. ?
... or how much would he be worth in 4 months to a team that has some cap room and who is looking to make a cup run.
... Do we know for certain that Jovo is going to demand more and not stay with this team ... (probably) ... but ya never know

So ..... IMO we should still wait ... for now ... certainly be aware of the situation ... keep our feelers out and options open ... play him lots. But I don't think it is time yet to rush into a trade because we are worried about what may or may not happen with the cap next season ... but thats just me and what i would do.

Grizz
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

As for going the trade route, who would take it?
If it really looks like he won't resign when the trade deadline rolls around Nonis will probably shop him. I don't think we would get anything like fair value for him.
If he does get put on the market everyone will know it is because we can't afford him. Why would they bother to offload any talent to get him when they could just place a bid for him in the offseason. It's not like he would be going to a cup contending team to help them with the playoff push, most of them are too close to the cap. He would most likely end up in somwhere like Chicago.
If that were the case I would prefer to keep him for the last month of the season and make a solid playoff push and spend the extra money strengthening our roster.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Seeing as Jovo is one of my favorite players I'm probably a little biased here. I hope to hell they keep him even if they have to pay him 5 million. Sure Ohlund and Naslund have taken less money to stay here, but that shouldn't take Nonis off the hook for grossly overpaying Cloutier, Cooke and Morrison. There are a few guys on the last year of their contracts and if Linden is paid a penny more than the league minimum next season it's too much. I believe that Jovo can be re-signed, but nonis will have to do some juggling.

None of Mojis, Bieksa, Skinner etc is ready to become a top 4 D-man let alone a top 2 guy so expecting that from them is assinine. If Jov can fetch a high end young Dman at the deadline who can play top 4 minutes and has a relatively low salary then go for it. otherwise stand your ground and let jovo help this squad to a long playoff run, and if he bolts for free agency it frees up 4 million bucks you can use to sign someone else.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Media_Man wrote:If Cloutier tanks it in the playoffs again, look for him to be moved.
If Cloutier tanks it again, who on earth will take him? He's already the most untradable starting goalie in the League right now between his price tag and his track record... that's why a 2-year deal was so ill-advised, because we'll have a real problem on our hands if he underachieves or if Auld proves to be starter material.

If we knew for certain that Jovanovski would be the difference between going out in the first round or making it to the Finals, I would say hang on to him. But given that goaltending and defensive defensemen tend to be more important in this regard, I would say that if a great deal is on the table midseason, take it. If Florida is the obvious trading partner, then Bouwmeester is the obvious return, except I don't think Keenan will ever give him up.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Keenan would be a fool to give Jay-Bo up...For an impending UFA in Jovanoski that he can sign without losing an asset (in this case, an asset which many consider to be a rising star).

This swap (which was purposed in the Cloutier, Jovo, Cooke, +1st round pick deal for Luongo and Jay-Bo) is what made that trade even more lopsided and totally unrealistic.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Have any of the Florida trade rumors that are discussed on this site (i.e.- Bouwmeester, Luongo, etc.) ever been substantiated? I have never heard anything that would lead me to believe the teams have been close to a deal. I'm relatively new to the site, though.

Sure Ohlund and Naslund have taken less money to stay here, but that shouldn't take Nonis off the hook for grossly overpaying Cloutier, Cooke and Morrison.
I disagree that Cooke is overpaid, let alone "grossly overpaid." I made that argument in a separate post. I also believe that Cloutier's salary is approximately market value. The goalie I liken him to most is Patrick Lalime, who is making $2.43M this year to Dan's $2.5M.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote: I also believe that Cloutier's salary is approximately market value. The goalie I liken him to most is Patrick Lalime, who is making $2.43M this year to Dan's $2.5M.
Well Cloutier's is too high even based on the market. Lalime should probably be making more based on achievement. It's amazing to me that Ottawa rightfully ran him out of town while Cloutier gets defended at every turn. Lalime has some damn good playoff numbers...the problem was he always had bad games in the big games. However, he did bring the Sens to the final four. He does 3 playoff series victories under his belt. He does have a career 1.77 GAA and 0.926 SV%. I look around and see other average goaltenders in the league making less than Cloutier with similar resumes (injury troubles, average goaltending, limited playoff success) making considerably less.

However, it doesn't matter if you think it's market or not. Cloutier said he would accept his qualifier at $2.1 mil if he couldn't get a multi-year deal. everyone and i mean everyone thought if there was a multiyear deal it was going to average out to less than $2.1 mil a year. It does not make any sense that Cloutier received a second year in the first place let alone a raise on an already fair market value qualifier he said he would accept. At a minimum he is 400k overpaid this season. That is a big chunk.