From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Meds »

Does this mean that Phaneuf is on his way back to Calgary in the near future? After all, it was Burke who said Phaneuf is a premiere player in this league and someone to build around.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote: How is Burke "Damaged Goods"? Just because the uptight Ownership in Toronto didn't like him - it doesn't mean he's damaged goods. Toronto's improvement is directly attributable to Burke. He has improved every team he has been with - including the Canucks, who are still reaping the benefits of his dealings.
"Brian Damaged Goods"??

Too much Irish whisky over too many years??

Not sure what the poster in question was getting at...

I think it's hilarious that folks give any credence to a usually-shitty team making the playoffs in a shortened season.

Hell even the Great Strangelove, well known for laffing at the Laffs, predicted they would accomplish that small feat!

They'll miss the playoffs next season and Leafers will blame injuries/Nonis.

The Leaves did not improve under Burke.

2008-09 - 81 points.

2009-10 - 74 points.

2010-11 - 85 points.

2011-12 - 80 points.

Anaheim was a fluke because an already-good team had Prongs + Neids fall into their lap.

And if he remained in Vancouver who knows who Burke would've traded away/let go by now

(probably would've not matched the offer sheet on Kesler). :hmmm:

Burke and his bluster have always inspired false confidence among the less fortunate.

The Great Strangelove is SO happy Burkie is now working for the team he hates second-most. :thumbs:
BCExpat wrote: Anyway, he is a vast improvement on what the Flames have had previously, and I think he'll make the Flames competitive again. I guess time will tell.
LOL, wake the fuck up, the Flames and Burkie are the perfect for each other!

Like omg they are gonna suck for all eternity! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

In Toronto, Burke started to build a good team. I think he added a lot of pieces, but it will take some time for them to become competitive. They may not have improved much in the standings, but they improved vastly in potential. This is due to Burke, regardless of how you spin it.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

BCExpat wrote:In Toronto, Burke started to build a good team. I think he added a lot of pieces, but it will take some time for them to become competitive. They may not have improved much in the standings, but they improved vastly in potential. This is due to Burke, regardless of how you spin it.
I agree with you Expat. Like many things though, Burke's tenures are not black and white. Any long-time Canuck fan will lament the fact that he is prone to be blind in his player loyalty at times, case in point, Dan Cloutier. Had he been able to have a little more objectivity in how he viewed his goalie, the Canucks would easily have contended for the cup in the 2002-2003 period.

Despite his shortcomings, Burke is a generally a pretty good judge of talent and character and despite what people say here, he has put together a competitive and promising up an coming team in Toronto.

Calgary could have done a lot worse...in my opinion.
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote: Toronto's improvement is directly attributable to Burke. He has improved every team he has been with
*Strangelove's masterful post*
BCExpat wrote: In Toronto, Burke started to build a good team. I think he added a lot of pieces, but it will take some time for them to become competitive. They may not have improved much in the standings, but they improved vastly in potential. This is due to Burke, regardless of how you spin it.
Oh so now the Leaves are merely... "potentially... improved!

Yeah, guess that's why the Leaves fired his ass. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

It's "leaves" - not "Leaves", at least in terms of Toronto's hockey team. :roll:

Yes - they are only potentially improved at this point. One playoff run doesn't make a good team - hell, they might not even make the playoffs next season. The improvement in the team is the players that Burke has brought into the system. They have some very good players already in the NHL. They have some pretty good prospects in the minors. They have some young guys on the team that are looking very good. The personnel that they have, including prospects, are a massive improvement on what Burke had going in. So, that's why I say potential improvement. They have improved the personnel, but haven't improved much in the standings yet. It's almost the same situation as the Oilers or Avs - they have great young talent and a lot of potential - but that hasn't translated to making the playoffs yet - but there is a good chance that they will - sooner than later. BTW - I hate the leaves with a passion, but I will give credit where it is due.

Oh, and they fired his ass, because the uptight leaves ownership didn't want a hardass, snarky, 'give 'em hell' guy like Burke as the spokesman for the team.

One thing both the Flames and Canucks will have in common in the upcoming season - the pressers after games are going to be beauties :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The KC Cheaves

Why would Flames post game press conferences be lively? Does Hartly have a pulse.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote:The KC Cheaves

Why would Flames post game press conferences be lively? Does Hartly have a pulse.
Ok - maybe not every post game press conference - only the press conferences Burke is involved in. In Vancouver's case, post game presser with Torts are going to be something I will look forward to.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote: It's "leaves" - not "Leaves", at least in terms of Toronto's hockey team. :roll:
Actually, where I come from it's definitely "Leaves". Image

Or "Loafs".

Or "Laffs".
BCExpat wrote: Yes - they are only potentially improved at this point. One playoff run doesn't make a good team
Define "playoff run". :mex:
BCExpat wrote: They have improved the personnel, but haven't improved much in the standings yet. It's almost the same situation as the Oilers or Avs - they have great young talent and a lot of potential - but that hasn't translated to making the playoffs yet - but there is a good chance that they will - sooner than later.
In theory, NHL teams that suck hard enough and long enough are rewarded with potential.

However, considering the massive Burke-era suckage, there really isn't a whole lot of potential amirite?
BCExpat wrote: Oh, and they fired his ass, because the uptight leaves ownership didn't want a hardass, snarky, 'give 'em hell' guy like Burke as the spokesman for the team.
Wait... so... YOU are saying Burkie's personality is SO horrific

... that the Leaves fired him despite the fact they thought he was doing a great job? :shock:

I see a lawsuit in your future.

Personally I blame the 129-135-42 record with zero playoff appearances... despite the promises. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Four more years.

So that Feaster, giving up after 20 minutes is endemic speel is most defiantly the Burke lets air our dirty laundry in a public forum and hopefully it embarrasses someone style.

If Calgary had a legitimate media, they would eat this alive.

Is the Ezra Levant/Naheed Nenshi somehow related to Burke's hiring. You know, father knows best.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah apparently Levant wasn't stirring up enough pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence for Calgary.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
BCExpat wrote: Anyway, he is a vast improvement on what the Flames have had previously, and I think he'll make the Flames competitive again. I guess time will tell.
LOL, wake the fuck up, the Flames and Burkie are the perfect for each other!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but I think in this case it just might!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I'm willing to see what he can do for the next three seasons or so. The Flames are going to suck at least that long no matter who the GM and President are. I'd be happy if they are bottom feeders and amass some high draft picks. Who knows, maybe in that time, I'll be calling for Burke's head, like I did with Sutter. :drink: :mex:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BCExpat wrote:I'm willing to see what he can do for the next three seasons or so. The Flames are going to suck at least that long no matter who the GM and President are. I'd be happy if they are bottom feeders and amass some high draft picks. Who knows, maybe in that time, I'll be calling for Burke's head, like I did with Sutter. :drink: :mex:
What has continually blown my mind about the Flames is the absolute blind homerism that surrounds the team and so many fans.

After winning the cup ins 88 the exited the playoffs in the first round 6 of the next 7 years. That other year they missed altogether. They then missed the playoffs completely for 7 straight seasons.

During that time they didn't even benefit from any kind of real drafting success.

Enter Kiprusoff and Dutter. A miracle trip to the Finals in 2004, that was VERY reminiscent of Anaheim's run on the back of Giguere, and suddenly the Flames are the post lockout hockey world's heavy favorites.

They didn't add much in the way of marquis talent either.

They had a good regular season, won the NW, and then got bounced in 7 by the Ducks in the first round.

For some reason they were still considered a contender for a few more seasons despite 3 more quarter final exits.

They were never able to attract a legitimate top centre for Iginla to play with.

They never addressed the lack of future talent in the system.

They missed the playoffs for another 4 seasons, but thought they were still contenders every September, and tried to be players on deadline day.....but nobody else thought they were worth selling to, and they were too shortsighted to see the writing on the wall and move their two best assets.

This is an organization that has only gone beyond the first round once in 24 years. In 12 of those years they missed the playoffs entirely.

Burke is a good fit here.

BB turned Vancouver around after Iron Mike "I'll show you new systems with a bigger offensive zone" Keenan trashed the team. He made bold moves to acquire some pieces that are still carrying the team.

BB went to Anaheim, traded for Pronger, signed Niedermayer, dealt Fedorov for Beauchimin, brought in Carlyle, and a few other moves. Cup win.

In Toronto the jury is out for another season. But regardless, my point is that The guy isn't afraid to pull the trigger on a deal, and that is what has been Calgarys Achilles heel for years. Burke may over value some guys, but he will make moves. If the team blows, he doesn't turn a blind eye, he will shake things up. His shelf life is short though because he becomes too loyal to the players he trades for and signs and doesn't like to admit he was wrong about a player. Calgary will benefit from this hiring so long as they don't think he's a long term solution.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BCExpat wrote:I'm willing to see what he can do for the next three seasons or so. :mex:
Four more years.

Glad you finally agree.