Young Stars Tournament and Related Musings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Young Stars Tournament and Related Musings

Post by Benjo »

Cassels showing some piss and vinegar. The period ends and the players are skating to the bench and he spins his stick around and jabs a Shark player in the back of the knee.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Subban definitely has some amazing skills. If he could grow another 3-4 inches, the Canucks is definitely hitting the jackpot.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Jovocop wrote:Subban definitely has some amazing skills. If he could grow another 3-4 inches, the Canucks is definitely hitting the jackpot.
Should they be turning him into a forward?
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Top 10 players from last nights young stars game versus San Jose:

1) Cole Cassels
2) Bo Horvat
3) Jordan Subban
4) Hunter Shinkaruk
5) Alexandre Mallet
6) Peter Andersson
7) Ludwig Blomstrand
8) Jesse Mychan
9) Niklas Jensen
10) Wesley Myron
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Watching this game just cemented my belief that Gillis is blowing smoke when he talks about "giving the kids a chance" next season.

The only guy who looked remotely NHL ready was Bo Horvat and I highly doubt the Canuck's would, or should keep an 18 year old on the team.

Horvat was however the best player on the ice by far. Solid and strong in both zone with good skating and excellent offensive instincts. Just one game but you can all ready see that there is a big gap between Horvat and the rest of the group (most of whom are older).

On the flip side Gaunce doesn't look like an NHL player at all right now. He's big and positionally sound but he looks slow and there isn't a lot going on in the offensive zone for him. You can get a big 4th line centre for less then what Gaunce will make so he shouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

Funny that Horvat and Gaunce come in with similar scouting reports but in reality they are miles apart.

Jensen was probably the most dangerous Canuck's prospect but other then the offence I didn't see a lot else. Would likely be better off playing the majority of the year in the AHL.

I also liked Suban, Cassels, and Shinkaruk, but none have the size and strength to even be a consideration.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:Watching this game just cemented my belief that Gillis is blowing smoke when he talks about "giving the kids a chance" next season.

The only guy who looked remotely NHL ready was Bo Horvat and I highly doubt the Canuck's would, or should keep an 18 year old on the team.

Horvat was however the best player on the ice by far. Solid and strong in both zone with good skating and excellent offensive instincts. Just one game but you can all ready see that there is a big gap between Horvat and the rest of the group (most of whom are older).

On the flip side Gaunce doesn't look like an NHL player at all right now. He's big and positionally sound but he looks slow and there isn't a lot going on in the offensive zone for him. You can get a big 4th line centre for less then what Gaunce will make so he shouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

Funny that Horvat and Gaunce come in with similar scouting reports but in reality they are miles apart.

Jensen was probably the most dangerous Canuck's prospect but other then the offence I didn't see a lot else. Would likely be better off playing the majority of the year in the AHL.

I also liked Suban, Cassels, and Shinkaruk, but none have the size and strength to even be a consideration.
Subban really impressed me with his poise. He has good offensive skill but his defensive skill really surprised me the most. He is small but he did not play like a small defenseman against some big forwards. Like I said, I just wish he could grow another 3-4 inches.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

McKenzie describes Canucks prospects performance at their first game of the tournament.

He pointed out that the first game is often NOT a good indicator of some player's abilities (due to nerves).

So the stakes are raised tonight (against Calgary). :thumbs:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:
Subban really impressed me with his poise. He has good offensive skill but his defensive skill really surprised me the most. He is small but he did not play like a small defenseman against some big forwards. Like I said, I just wish he could grow another 3-4 inches.
Yeah I thought Subban looked very good.

Unfortunately for him 5'9 guys don't often make the NHL and given his brother isn't much taller then he was on his draft day I wouldn't expect him to grow very much.

He's a long shot but I still like the pick a lot.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

The OTHER Canucks site that I quite like opines that Gaunce was clearly injured and he will not be in the line-up for tonight's game. So folks should probably relax a bit about his performance. They also had wildly positive things to say about Jensen's game from the "little things" perspective.

I watched some, but not all of the game and my take is this:
1) Horvat was good, but not as FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE as many seem to think. Not a roster lock after one young stars game folks.
2) The entire D was atrocious and thus, Erickson much better than folks are giving him credit for.
3) Shinkaruk is a grade A asshole and I love it. Nothing better than a chip-on-the-shoulder, undersized, offensively gifted pest. Will be a massive fan favorite in year's to come and will be widely hated throughout the league.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Groovypippin wrote:The OTHER Canucks site that I quite like opines that Gaunce was clearly injured and he will not be in the line-up for tonight's game. So folks should probably relax a bit about his performance. They also had wildly positive things to say about Jensen's game from the "little things" perspective.

1) Horvat was good, but not as FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE as many seem to think. Not a roster lock after one young stars game folks.
2) The entire D was atrocious and thus, Erickson much better than folks are giving him credit for.
3) Shinkaruk is a grade A asshole and I love it. Nothing better than a chip-on-the-shoulder, undersized, offensively gifted pest. Will be a massive fan favorite in year's to come and will be widely hated throughout the league.
Horvat was the best player last night. I believe that everyone here knows that he won't make the roster this year no matter how good he is. MG is not going to rush this kid.

The defense was bad, except a few good plays here and there. Eriksson was shaky. He made some good saves but both goals were pretty soft. I expect him to be better tonight.

That crosscheck by Shinkaruk did not look that bad. However, he should focus on his offensive game instead of being a pest. What goes around comes around.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Groovypippin wrote:The OTHER Canucks site that I quite like opines that Gaunce was clearly injured and he will not be in the line-up for tonight's game. So folks should probably relax a bit about his performance. They also had wildly positive things to say about Jensen's game from the "little things" perspective.
Glad to hear Gaunce was injured because he looked quite poor.

Didn't see much in the way of "little things" from Jensen, saw a guy with very good offensive instincts and a great shot but not much else. Kind of floated and was a bit soft defensively IMO.

Who said he was a roster lock? Haven't heard 1 person say that.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Potatoe1 wrote: Didn't see much in the way of "little things" from Jensen, saw a guy with very good offensive instincts and a great shot but not much else. Kind of floated and was a bit soft defensively IMO.
I can't say I'm surprised. Jensen played an entire season of professional hockey last year between the Swedish Elite league and AHL. He doesn't have much to prove at a YoungStars tourney. Hopefully he's just using this to dial in the cardio and get his timing under him. No point in him busting his ass against Junior players or people looking to take his head off for a chance at a camp invite.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Nice power play goal by Corrado.

Eriksson is much better tonight, stopping the puck with confidence.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Just got home after the Oilers-Nucks game - a few observations:
- Canucks won 4-2; a spirited game with the Canucks being the superior of the two. No one single player really stood out for the Canucks (at least for me). I found it interesting that their line-up today excluded Horvat, Subban, and Shinkaruk, YET they played a much bettter game today without them, compared to the game against the Sharks on Thurs. The Oilers iced a bigger team than the Canucks, but it didn't mean squat.
- The Oiler's Nurse is quite a stud, I suspect he could make the 'big' team this year if circumstances permit it.
- Gaunce was a complete non-factor - definitely a step or two behind NHL prime-time.
- Jensen has speed and moves but the little things are not happening - stupid passes, give-aways, and not passing when he should.
- Cassel's, Coraddo and a few others, played a fairly complete game. I liked how Coraddo attempted to stand-up for his team-mate when beset with a bigger Oiler's aggression.

It was an entertaining /fun game all-in-all.
cc oldtimer
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

nuckster wrote:The Oiler's Nurse is quite a stud, I suspect he could make the 'big' team this year if circumstances permit it.
If by "circumstances permit it" you mean "the Oilers defence is atrocious" then yes, circumstances will permit it.