Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:Will Burrows trade value ever be higher?

How much of his defensive game is determined by speed? How soon until the mind is willing, the legs are not?
Doesn't matter, you don't ever trade a guy like Burrows.

Peri-fuckin-od.

Not only is he one of the best defensive players in the game

... but he is probably second only to Pavel in playoff-goals-per-game.

More importantly he has one of the best team-first attitudes in the game today

(and if he were 30 pounds bigger he'd be the perfect asshole). Image

I want a guy like him molding monsters such as Kassian, Gaunce, and Horvat in his own image.

Yes, Speed is his middle name, but his hockey-IQ is off the charts.

And he's CLUTCH.

I'm pretty sure he'll earn his keep for the rest of his contract.

Hell by the last year of his contract that's probably not much more than the NHL average.

I don't want him to go... ever.

Give him a job in management, clone him, and when he dies bury him at centre ice. :drink:
Full of steam.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Caught the Luongo interview with TSN. In three parts with 2 little bonus clips. Kind chopped up but you get the basics.

Some key points:

1) Was never presented with a trade before the trade deadline day so therefore never vetoed a trade. Was emphatic and wanted to set the record straight. He never nixed a deal.

2) On trade deadline day he was yanked from the ice with 10 minutes to go before the deadline expired and told to rush into MG's office as they had a deal and he needed to sign his NTC waiver. As he was preparing to sign it and find out the details MG walked in and told him the deal fell apart at the last minute. He said he cried in front of another man!

3) Explored every option to get out of his contract. The bottom line is that the process is long and complicated and not something he decided to do. Doesn't know what the future brings.

4) Is 100% committed to being a Canuck and winning in Vancouver.

5) Has no hard feeling against MG or the water boy. He knows they did what they did for business reasons and does not take it personally. Has had many talks since then and is satisfied with the way things have been addressed.

6) Was shocked at the time. Water boy had called him in the morning and said he was in town and could he drop by. Luongo said sure and thought perhaps he was being traded. When Water Boy got to his house Luongo was watching the draft, they were at pick 3-4. Water Boy asked him to turn off the TV and a few minutes later told him they had traded CS. He was shocked and doesn't really remember much of the conversation after that. Said he wasn't angry or sad just shocked. It wasn't what he was expecting, not an out come he though possible.

7) He has had time to emotionally digest everything and is 100% ready to return. Can't predict what the future will bring and won't contemplate that. For now he is a Canuck and he is a professional who hates to lose. Intends to come back and re-establish himself as one of the league's best and does not want to let the fans or his teammates down. Very much wants to opportunity to play in the Olympics again. Feels 100% motivated with no hard feelings or trepidation about returning to Vancouver.

My Take:

Confirms what I have heard all along. He never vetoed a trade and Toronto yanked the deal at the last minute. He has gotten over his shocked and has reengaged emotionally in being a Canuck. But he hasn't closed the door on a trade down the road. This is consistent with what I was told in that he and MG/water boy discussed how his contract will be easier to move in a couple of years and if he still wants out they will try to accommodate him then. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade at the end of the year and supplies a list of 5 teams and if no trade then tries to force a buyout, we still have one. But for now I am satisfied he will come back and play lights out. I think his pride and professionalism will win out.

Lets hope both Florida teams tank really really badly :mrgreen: Or Philly. I still see Philly as the team with the money and the need to win as the best shot. Shit if I know who will play goal for us??
The only HW the Canucks need
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Thanks for the summary, HW.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Great post H W . I hope Florida and the Laughs totally tank this year. Any idea
what Nonis was offering?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

okcanuck wrote:Great post H W . I hope Florida and the Laughs totally tank this year. Any idea
what Nonis was offering?

None of that came out during the Luongo interview. All I know is what I was told at the deadline. A deal had been worked out involving 2 roster players and 2 draft picks. One roster player was a goalie, the other a bottom 6. The two draft picks were 2nd rounders. The deal was agreed to and MG said he would get Luongo in to sign off on his waiver. Nonis called back with under 5 minutes to go and offered less and wanted a salary hold back. I have heard it was as little as $500,000 and as much as 50% so I have no idea how much. But MG had said all along that was a deal breaker. So he and Nonis go along and negotiate, in what MG thought was good faith, and at the last second, as Luongo was signing his waiver Nonis tried for his pound of flesh and demanded a salary hold back. I think he was surprised that MG quashed the deal at that point. I have no doubt he planned it down to the wire in hopes that with time running out and his back against the wall MG would capitulate at the midnight hour and hold back salary.

I have also heard that there was stunned silence in Leaf land when the deal failed to materialize. They had been leaking to the press all day that Luongo would be a Leaf. Nonis gambled and failed. He played it right up to the final minuet and could not get MG to bend over any more than he already had. I really think Nonis thought he would land Luongo and get his price. The hold back was just principal. It had nothing to do with the leaves ability to absorb the cap or salary. I have heard that some int he room were very upset at the way it went down and had plans already in place to introduce Luongo to the media. I think it was a huge miscalculation on Nonis's part.

I have also heard that Nonis was in such a panic to try and land a goalie that he over offered for Bernier, far more than any other team was willing to pay. He could not afford to let that one slip away also. But it did cause some heated debates in Leaf land where the team was preparing for the arrival of their franchise goalie and Nonis fucked it up by needing his pound of flesh. And the way they lost to Boston only intensified the debates with one unnamed coach saying he could not coach a team without a quality NHL goaltender. To think they could have had Luongo for the package they gave up for Bernier....Nonis had better hope Bernier is the real deal. If he is then Nonis is a wise man. If he isn't then chalked it up to another bad decision on his part.

His whole summer was about making up for his one huge mistake in not getting Luongo. His over payments in trading assets and signing FA is proof that he is desperate.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I have also heard that Nonis was in such a panic to try and land a goalie that he over offered for Bernier, far more than any other team was willing to pay. He could not afford to let that one slip away also.
... then RFA backup Bernier, smelling Nonut's desperation demands more than his worth. :thumbs:

People talk about the Canucks alienating Luongo, pretty sure he feels awesome compared to ole Reimer. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow wrote: His whole summer was about making up for his one huge mistake in not getting Luongo. His over payments in trading assets and signing FA is proof that he is desperate.
AND THE LEAVES HAND HIM A FIVE YEAR EXTENSION!!! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Give him a job in management, clone him, and when he dies bury him at centre ice. :drink:
Are you calling him a loonie? :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I think we kept the best goalie for us. he is not real good under pressure but perhaps this has matured him some since it did not kill him. Combine this with Torts and some young talent and who knows. i am excited to get started and cannot stand no hockey news of note. i am in withdrawal and that ought to bring out a few comments from the peanut gallery.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

damonberryman wrote:I think we kept the best goalie for us. he is not real good under pressure but perhaps this has matured him some since it did not kill him. Combine this with Torts and some young talent and who knows. i am excited to get started and cannot stand no hockey news of note. i am in withdrawal and that ought to bring out a few comments from the peanut gallery.
Yes, definite withdrawal. Next up, yahoo needs to open up their registration, get the fantasy hockey leagues up and the smack talk and draft speculation flying.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BOOTH considered a top sleeper by Matt Cubeta:

MATT CUBETA'S 2013-14 FANTASY HOCKEY SLEEPERS

1. David Booth, LW, Vancouver Canucks

The key with Booth is health -- for both him and his potential linemate, Ryan Kesler. He's currently recovering from an ankle injury and is hopeful to be ready for the start of the season, but in two seasons with the Canucks, he's missed 62 games. When he is on the ice, Booth hasn't been productive (17 goals, 32 points and a minus-2 rating). However, Booth has a bunch of good things going for him: his age, his history and his potential second-line role under new coach John Tortorella. Because he's entering his eighth NHL season, people tend to think he's already on the decline, but fortunately, Booth came into the NHL as a 20-year-old and is still in the middle of his prime. While his stats with the Canucks haven't been what many were hoping for, Booth did score more than 22 goals in three seasons with the Panthers and isn't shy about putting the puck on net -- in those same three seasons in Florida, he registered at least 228 shots on goal in each of them. Lastly, Booth is expected to line up on the team's second line with Kesler, and if they can find some American magic, they could form a lethal unit -- with Kesler's ability to bang in the corners and go to the net, and Booth's ability to get shots to the net, good things could be in store for the duo. Many fantasy drafters will ignore Booth, but you shouldn't be one of them -- look to select him with one of your final picks.

Projection: 24 G, 25 A, plus-2, 34 PIMs, 9 PPP, 221 SOG

2. David Perron, LW, Edmonton Oilers

Perron, 25, has had a few productive seasons in the NHL, but coming off a quiet 2012-13 (10 goals, 15 assists), I expect his first season with the Oilers to be his best. Perron's ability to provide decent value in every fantasy category is what I like most about him. Averaging out his six-year career and extrapolating those numbers to an 82-game season, this is what Perron would look like: 20 goals, 48 points, 12 power-play points, plus-11, 56 penalty minutes and 114 shots on goal. That's an extremely useful fantasy forward. The move to Edmonton should also increase Perron's value as he goes from a defensive-minded team to a squad that has so much talent offensively. Expect Perron to line up on the team's second line with Nail Yakupov (more to come on him) and Sam Gagner, and look for the former Blues forward to put together a tremendous season.

Projection: 24 G, 31 A, plus-3, 44 PIMs, 11 PPP, 168 SOG

3. Ryan McDonagh, D, New York Rangers

McDonagh finished 221st among all fantasy players in Yahoo leagues last year, right behind Justin Schultz and ahead of Dennis Seidenberg among fellow defensemen. That's not exactly the most useful fantasy player. Expect a big difference in what will be McDonagh's third full NHL season with the Rangers. In his first full season in New York, McDonagh surprised many by recording seven goals, 32 points and an outstanding plus-25. Despite the breakthrough season, he was ignored by many on draft day last year (159th average draft pick and selected in 67 percent of Yahoo leagues). He went on to put up better per game numbers (.40 points-per-game) and his plus-13 rating showed his defensive game is among the NHL's best. This year, he should not be ignored come draft day. McDonagh has never received much power-play ice time in the past (averaged just 0:38 per game last year), but I believe Alain Vigneault will use him significantly more in 2013-14. His offensive game is quickly developing and he could very well turn out to be the most valuable fantasy blueliner on the Rangers. A 40-plus point season with a great plus/minus and more power play production is certainly realistic.

Projection: 8 G, 31 A, plus-17, 38 PIMs, 8 PPP, 139 SOG

4. Brandon Dubinsky, C, Columbus Blue Jackets

A stat line of two goals and 20 points isn't appealing to anyone, and understandably so. That's what Dubinsky finished with for the Blue Jackets in 2012-13. But when you look a little closer and realize he appeared in 29 games and that his peripheral stats (76 PIMs, plus-2, 7 PPP and 50 SOG) are extremely helpful, you can quickly see that Dubinsky is a player you should target late in fantasy drafts. The main piece that Columbus brought in from the Rick Nash trade to New York, Dubinsky has taken a leadership role on a young squad and could be in line for a big season. He's all but a lock to eclipse 100 penalty minutes for the fourth time in his career, he'll continue to see ample power play time (2:24 per game last year), his defensive awareness makes him a good candidate to finish with a solid plus/minus on an improving Blue Jackets squad, and while he might not score a ton of goals, 50-plus points would certainly make up for that. His dual-position eligibility (C, LW) in Yahoo! leagues provides good flexibility for fantasy owners is a nice bonus as well.

Projection: 19 G, 36 A, plus-5, 104 PIMs, 16 PPP, 181 SOG

5. Brandon Pirri, C, Chicago Blackhawks

Pirri has played in seven NHL games during his young career and has two assists. This is obviously not appealing. But what is appealing is how he's performed in the AHL and where he could fit in with the Blackhawks in 2013-14. During the past two seasons with the Rockford IceHogs, Pirri has 45 goals, 131 points, a plus-20 and 108 penalty minutes in 142 regular-season games. But the biggest factor for his fantasy value will be if he can win the No. 2 center job behind Jonathan Toews. If he does, he'll likely be centering a line with Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa on his wings, and that could be huge for the 22-year-old. Pirri might not have a lot of NHL experience, but his potential is worth scooping up late in any fantasy draft.

Projection: 17 G, 33 A, plus-6, 56 PIMs, 10 PPP, 199 SOG

Author: Matt Cubeta | NHL.com Fantasy Insider

I wouldn't be too surprised to see him hit these numbers. The guy has great wheels, drives the net and goes to the dirty areas like clockwork. Granted this is why he's spent so much time on the IR but if he can find a way to play a full year injury free, he could be a difference maker. Maybe he isn't the best at using his linemates but neither is RK and he happened to hit some pretty lofty numbers....just sayin'
If you need air...call it in
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Dave Gagner leaves Canucks for same role with the Orr Group....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A number of rumours floating around that the Canucks and Morrow are talking. Not sure how legit but I'd be on board for one year around 1 million. Great 3rd/4th line addition, energy, experience, toughness.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:A number of rumours floating around that the Canucks and Morrow are talking. Not sure how legit but I'd be on board for one year around 1 million. Great 3rd/4th line addition, energy, experience, toughness.
That would be a great addition but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he wanted to play for 1 million.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:A number of rumours floating around that the Canucks and Morrow are talking. Not sure how legit but I'd be on board for one year around 1 million. Great 3rd/4th line addition, energy, experience, toughness.
That would be a great addition but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he wanted to play for 1 million.
3 weeks til preseason starts.

No other offers and all teams that are even remote contenders have little cap space.

It all comes down to how badly some of these guys want to play.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Did anyone catch this crap in the paper yesterday where Brent Sutter is flapping about Brendan Gaunce?

Can't link as I'm on the phone but WTF?!?!?