Whatever happened to ... ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Whatever happened to ... ?

Post by Per »

The SHL will be full of Canuck rejects/alumni this winter:

Derek Joslin is playing for AIK, Bill Sweatt for Brynäs, Jason Krog for HV71, Daniel Rahimi for Linköping, Samuel Påhlsson and Jeff Tambellini for Modo and of course Andrew Raycroft for Björklöven in the second tier league.

Did I miss someone? Possibly. There's some Noah Welch, who used to play or the Wolves, but I don't think he was ever Canuck property, was he? And then I've seen some oher guy who has played for Kelowna, but he didn't sound familiar either. Shrug. Either way, seems like the elimination of the no-more-than-2-non-Europeans rule has had some effect right away.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Whatever happened to ... ?

Post by Tciso »

Hey, if you can make a living playing a game, good on ya!!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Damn straight Crisco!

Thanks for this awesome information that totally deserved its own thread and shouldn't have gone in Canucks News and Notes, Per.

In fact didn't you already start a Meanwhile, Across the Pond thread as well? No point throwing this riveting bit of Scandinavian hockey news in there! Some posters might accuse you of being a thread whore but not me! Keep 'em coming! I'm thinking you should get a solid six responses (including mine) by this time next week.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Per wrote:The SHL will be full of Canuck rejects/alumni this winter:

Derek Joslin is playing for AIK, Bill Sweatt for Brynäs, Jason Krog for HV71, Daniel Rahimi for Linköping, Samuel Påhlsson and Jeff Tambellini for Modo and of course Andrew Raycroft for Björklöven in the second tier league.

Did I miss someone? Possibly. There's some Noah Welch, who used to play or the Wolves, but I don't think he was ever Canuck property, was he? And then I've seen some oher guy who has played for Kelowna, but he didn't sound familiar either. Shrug. Either way, seems like the elimination of the no-more-than-2-non-Europeans rule has had some effect right away.
Per, what happened to Patrick White? ;)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Isn't he still playing in the German league? HockeyDB had him playing for the Hannover Indians last season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hey Per, I recall that the Swiss league, for the longest time, was the usual destination for Canadian-born players who couldn't get an NHL contract and didn't want to schlep along in the 'A'. I can remember others going to the German league (whether they couldn't make a Swiss squad or whether they wanted to play in Germany, I could only guess).

Now, you point out the number of Canadians playing in the SEL and I wonder what (if anything) changed? Did the SEL slacken the import rules? What's the story?

Hate the League.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lancer wrote:Hey Per, I recall that the Swiss league, for the longest time, was the usual destination for Canadian-born players who couldn't get an NHL contract and didn't want to schlep along in the 'A'. I can remember others going to the German league (whether they couldn't make a Swiss squad or whether they wanted to play in Germany, I could only guess).

Now, you point out the number of Canadians playing in the SEL and I wonder what (if anything) changed? Did the SEL slacken the import rules? What's the story?
Yes, as I mentioned in the top post there are no longer any restrictions on imports. We used to have a three foreigner maximum, which was changed to a two non-EU players maximum after we joined the European Union, but now those restrictions are gone.

There has been the odd North American going to the NHL by way of Sweden, like Brian Rafalski and Tim Thomas, but not that many. I guess now we may become a true alternative to the AHL.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Lancer wrote:Hey Per, I recall that the Swiss league, for the longest time, was the usual destination for Canadian-born players who couldn't get an NHL contract and didn't want to schlep along in the 'A'. I can remember others going to the German league (whether they couldn't make a Swiss squad or whether they wanted to play in Germany, I could only guess).
I don't remember who it was that posted this tidbit, it may have been Per, but I recall reading that the Swiss has 5 import spots, and that most teams use them on 3 forwards and 2 d who place as a unit at all times. So in the Swiss league you'd have a shift of import-unit vs. import-unit and see some pretty great hockey, then it would devolve to beer-league level while the three All-Swiss lines took a turn.

I wonder if the relatively-high number of imports in the Swiss league has contributed to Switzerland's surprisingly-good goalie development.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Per wrote:Yes, as I mentioned in the top post there are no longer any restrictions on imports. We used to have a three foreigner maximum, which was changed to a two non-EU players maximum after we joined the European Union, but now those restrictions are gone.
Must... comprehend... all the text... of your posts... next time... :bang:

Hate the League.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Anton Rödin scored both goals as Brynäs beat Swiss champions SC Bern in a Europan Trophy game.
Canucks still hold his rights, right?

Andrew Raycroft posted another shutout as Björklöven beat Västerås 3-0 in a preseason game.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Per, did you perchance watch that Brynäs game? Rodin used to be a decent prospect, a couple years ago, some around here thought he would crack the lineup....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Per, did you perchance watch that Brynäs game? Rodin used to be a decent prospect, a couple years ago, some around here thought he would crack the lineup....
Sorry, I didn't. But I still think Rödin has what it takes. Might need a few more years before he's NHL ready though.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Former Canuck Samuel Påhlsson scored the first goal of the game as Modo beat Växjö Lakers in the season opener. Of note that now that there are no longer any import restrictions in the SHL, Växjö had seven North Americans on the roster...

http://play.shl.se/video/2672361619001/
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Per wrote:Former Canuck Samuel Påhlsson scored the first goal of the game as Modo beat Växjö Lakers in the season opener. Of note that now that there are no longer any import restrictions in the SHL, Växjö had seven North Americans on the roster...

http://play.shl.se/video/2672361619001/
So, are there any import restrictions? ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Anton Rödin had three assists and Bill Sweatt scored a goal as Brynäs beat Frölunda 4-3 in ot.