2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by Rumsfeld »

Grabs and Murray would be nice... wonder if that's possible with Tanev staying as well.

No way I'd bump Kesler to the third line in favour of Grabs though.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:Grabs and Murray would be nice... wonder if that's possible with Tanev staying as well.

No way I'd bump Kesler to the third line in favour of Grabs though.
MG should convince Grabs that if he signs with the Canucks for a year at the league minimum, that alone would piss the leaves management (especially Nonis) off more than scoring goals against the leaves. :mrgreen:

As for Murray, he would be a wonderful addition for sure.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote: Did not watch the leaves playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.
I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

Grabovski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schroeder.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote: And SI yesterday:
http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/20/brad-boyes ... nhl_t11_a0
If an NHL team does bite, I’m betting it’ll be Vancouver.
Who the hell is Allan Muir and how much does he want to bet. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:

That would be funny, can you imagine Bryz in the goalie graveyard? His agent should be trolling The K for a contract big time
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So I guess we sign Alberts now and that's our team. :|
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

That would be funny, can you imagine Bryz in the goalie graveyard? His agent should be trolling The K for a contract big time
Read better
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:
Read better
Woops well Grabovski is going to the Caps right? Did we even have the money to bite?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not at that price.

Seems like a no brainer that a Caps team desperate for a cheap center would be a great fit for Grabovski, the Canucks could certainly use him but there are probably more teams that need a proven center for their top nine than there are teams that do not - and we don't have the cap space to even compete with a $3m offer.

HW is right though, even though we still have $2m and change left and a roster spot open I think we'll see an open competition in camp for better or worse. Maybe we see a desperate vet signed in the next couple weeks a la Raffi Torres in 2010, but the odds of landing a legit 2nd/3rd line type are slim to none.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I expect they'll leave the spots open for competition and maybe even rotate some of the youth in and out of the lineup the first part of the season. Torts wants the youth to steal someones job and if that happens you'll start to see a body or two move.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:So I guess we sign Alberts now and that's our team. :|
I am gruntled with Alberts. He knows our old system. Hopefully, he can adapt in less than 30 games to our new system ( he was brutal when he came here late season, and didn't know AV's system)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote: Did not watch the leaves playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.
I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.

Ths is 100% true. But in the end, you have to score and the guy did NOTHING offensively in that series. I think he got way too much ice-time in the playoffs.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am not worried about Alberts adjusting to a new system. Wen he first came here, it was mid season on a trade. This time, he will get the benefit from a training camp. He will be fine.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Ths is 100% true. But in the end, you have to score and the guy did NOTHING offensively in that series. I think he got way too much ice-time in the playoffs.
The leaves had 4 forwards who scored more than Grabovski in the playoffs. Not bad considering he was the 3rd line center.

He was a minus-10. Tells me that he's not great defensively and should never have been out there in that role.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:He was a minus-10. Tells me that he's not great defensively and should never have been out there in that role.
The leaves save percentage with him on the ice was about .800.

It's possible that would have been due to his play over such a short sample but over larger stretches its pretty rare that an individual player has much control over which shots are stopped while he was on the ice and which were not.