HNIC may leave CBC :)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 pm

black ace wrote:HNIC is kind of redundant now. 25 years ago it was one of the dozen or so times you could actually watch the Canucks play on TV but now all the games are on.

The Canucks in recent years have moved away from Saturday games because they likely get more money from Sportsnet for games on Fridays and Sundays than they do from CBC for Sat games. The CBC deal is split amongst all the Canadian teams whereas the Canucks keep all the money from the sportsnet deal...More games on Sportsnet more money for Canucks.

[b]Im no fan of the CBC but they were absolutely right to walk away from the theme music when Bell offered the huge money. Also not a fan of paying Don Cherry big money for essentially 5 minutes of work for 6 months. When it comes from a govt subsidy they need to be more cost effective[/b].


Cherry's 5-6 minutes them them huge money. It's not costing taxpayers anything.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Meds » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 pm

BigTuna wrote:It's funny hearing so many of you claim TSN or Sportsnet will be better than CBC when TSn and Sportsnet just bought the Leafs :D

CBC isn't biased for the Leafs at all. They just show them the most because the Leafs generate by far the most commercial revenue. Do you honestly think any network won't show it's #1 draw the most?


You're kidding right? We were still hearing about Phil Kessel's first round performance in the conference finals.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Meds wrote:
BigTuna wrote:It's funny hearing so many of you claim TSN or Sportsnet will be better than CBC when TSn and Sportsnet just bought the Leafs :D

CBC isn't biased for the Leafs at all. They just show them the most because the Leafs generate by far the most commercial revenue. Do you honestly think any network won't show it's #1 draw the most?


You're kidding right? We were still hearing about Phil Kessel's first round performance in the conference finals.


Phil Kessel has been the most crapped-on NHl player the last 3 years. It's ridiculous how underrated he is. The Toronto media hates him.

CBC has shit on Kessel so much.

CBC loves the money the Leafs make for them. That's it.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 pm

BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leafs make for them. That's it.



Image
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Strangelove » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leafs make for them. That's it.



Image


Kadri had just scored a hat trick against Ottawa.

After that obscenity he would go on to score just one goal (again vs Ottawa) in the next 18 games.

"Vengeance is ours" sayeth the Hockey Gods. :mrgreen:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7227
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote: CBC loves the money the Leafs make for them. That's it.



Image


That one second doesn't take away from the constant Leaf Bashing that occurs.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby rats19 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 am

Boo fricken Hoo...BT
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

Point is CBC shows the Leafs the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leafs the most.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 am

BigTuna wrote:Point is CBC shows the Leafs the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leafs the most.


And you wonder why other teams' fans don't like that? For a decade the Leafs have been an inferior team on the ice, yet get the most airplay because their fan base is the largest. Most hockey fans in Canada would prefer to watch better teams play hockey.

If you constantly show a shitty product, people will give you grief for it.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Point is CBC shows the Leafs the most because they are the most popular team, not because they love them. There's plenty of Leaf bashing. Try listening sometime.

Every network will show the Leafs the most.


And you wonder why other teams' fans don't like that? For a decade the Leafs have been an inferior team on the ice, yet get the most airplay because their fan base is the largest. Most hockey fans in Canada would prefer to watch better teams play hockey.

If you constantly show a shitty product, people will give you grief for it.


That's the way every network works though. It will never change The Leafs could be 30th and still get terrific ratings.

Hardly makes CBC unique.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby herb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am

Obviously the Leafs are on TV because they are the most popular team in Canada. To suggest otherwise is silly. Ontario is the biggest province, and the Leafs have a lot of followers in the rest of Canada due to old allegiances from when they were the only Anglo NHL team in Canada for decades.

The easy comparable is the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, who play in prime time nearly every week. Like the Cowboys, the Leafs are overrated every year by their fans and the media, and fans of other teams are tired of having the Cowboys/Leafs stuffed down their throats every week.

Personally, I don’t really give a shit about Tony Romo or Phil Kessel, and am happy to see Jerry Jones and Dave Nonis continue to demonstrate shitty decision making.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby rats19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 am

decent
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I love watching the Leaves play.

I cheer for them to be publicly humiliated.

When that happens I look for the reaction of CBC broadcasters.

No one hates the Leaves more than the Great Strangelove.

NO ONE.

The Leaves have brought yours truly a great deal of joy over the years...
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7227
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby BigTuna » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:38 pm

herb wrote:Obviously the Leafs are on TV because they are the most popular team in Canada. To suggest otherwise is silly. Ontario is the biggest province, and the Leafs have a lot of followers in the rest of Canada due to old allegiances from when they were the only Anglo NHL team in Canada for decades.

The easy comparable is the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys, who play in prime time nearly every week. Like the Cowboys, the Leafs are overrated every year by their fans and the media, and fans of other teams are tired of having the Cowboys/Leafs stuffed down their throats every week.

Personally, I don’t really give a shit about Tony Romo or Phil Kessel, and am happy to see Jerry Jones and Dave Nonis continue to demonstrate shitty decision making.


Well, the media picks them to be terrible every year. I wouldn't say any of the media overrates them. Phil Kessel is the 4th leading scorer in the NHl the last two years playing with Bozak and he barely cracked The Hockey News top 50 players.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

BigTuna wrote: Well, the media picks them to be terrible every year. I wouldn't say any of the media overrates them. Phil Kessel is the 4th leading scorer in the NHl the last two years playing with Bozak and he barely cracked The Hockey News top 50 players.


So the media is right 9 /10 times then. Seeing as it's a real 82 game season coming up the Leafs will likely fall apart around game 60 when the games get tougher. Kessel is a one dimensional player with yellow teeth and one ball. He is rated where he should be. Top 40 at best.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Boston Canucker and 6 guests