Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote:So much for Crankshaft!

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 5m
Douglas Murray to the Canadiens on a 1-year deal, per @CanadiensMTL
FFS, for $1.5m, I would definitely want Murray. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430265

I guess MG is getting ready to sign Alberts to the league minimum.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Another one bites the dust:

Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanWFAN 5m
Looks like Mikhail Grabovski will sign with #Caps. Awaiting confirmation.

But looks like Tanev has resigned!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote:Another one bites the dust:

That is a pretty good deal for the Caps. How many times do the Caps face the leaves this coming season??? :mrgreen:
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
RT @jasongregor: If reports from Belarus are accurate Grabovski has signed 1-year deal with Caps for $3 mill, then a solid signing for WSH.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote:

That is a pretty good deal for the Caps. How many times do the Caps face the leaves this coming season??? :mrgreen:
3 times.

First thing I looked up. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

3 times.

First thing I looked up. :mrgreen:
ha ha ha
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:I responded thusly to an Avs fan at HF who said he was worried Landeskog would fail and be a compliance buyout:

How dysfunctional would a team be to sign a player to a long-term contract @ $5.5m

.... only to turn around and buy him out a year later??
:lol:

Yeah, my post was deleted with no explanation, no demerit points or whatever.

It's like I say about HF: Roving bands of Leaf-loving "global mods" deleting posts they don't like.
Well that and hordes of pimply-faced teenyboppers.

Which came first though, the Leaf-bias or the Strangelove? :twisted:

Are you kidding? HF is nothing but a board dedicated to Leaf hate. They let the leaves get slammed more than any fanbase.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting that they didn't use the compliance buyout on JML and the regular buy out on Komisarek. Would have given them a few more bucks and Komisarek had only one year left.

I do think Bernier gives them the "potential" to have very solid goaltending but so much will depend upon them being a better team defensively overall.

If last season was a full 82 game schedule I still don't think they would have made the playoffs though. They will miss Garbo's production.
Grabo was very bad last season. They made the playoffs without his help. This is wishful-thinking on your part.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Of if they traded us Kadri, Franson and Bozak for Luongo.
It may be a tad premature, but I am looking forward to reminding the tools here in Ontario that they could have had Luongo, but they should just settle down and enjoy five more years of genius management.

Let's see Dreger wipe his coz's jizz off his chin and spin this one into something sugary for the masses here.
With Reimer/Bernier, who the hell needs Luongo? Both were better than him last season and are a decade younger and cheaper.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
darren wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Looking over their lineup I have convinced myself the Leaves are going to completely SUCK this year.
Hmm. Looks to me like they're going to do better than the Canucks this year.
The Leaves have lost a lot of depth!

FORWARDS:

Replacing MacArthur + Grabovski with Clarkson + Bolland is a minor upgrade

... but they lost important depth players Komarov + Frattin (13-14 MPG)

... planning to fill the void with rookies like Colborne/Ashton/D'Amigo? ... career AHLer Smith? Image

DEFENSE:

Okay, I just figured out they're gonna buyout Liles within the next 48 ours (window after Fraser signing).

That will give them the cash they need to re-sign Kadri + Franson with not much left over.

Liles (I'm assuming he's gone) is overpaid but he provided top-4 minutes when needed.

Kostka is gone, he provided 22 MPG... even if he *was* benched for 13 games.

O'Byrne is gone, a solid depth dee.

Komisarek, obviously WAY overpaid but has always been available to call up from the Marlies as injury insurance.

Gone.

So who replaces those guys?

Gardiner looks like a solid young player but a rookie who they pretty much HAVE to play in the top-4 all year.

Ranger is a headcase who returns to the NHL after a 4 year year sabbatical (is he still an NHLer?)

I see they signed journeyman Brennan to a one-way deal after Florida cut him loose.

And they still have desperation-time Holzer.

(Morgan Rielly needs another year in juniors IMPO)

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser – Ranger
Brennan – Holzer

Hmmm only Franson + Holzer are RHS.

Gardiner and Franson have yet to prove they can play in the top-4 for an entire year

(I admit I have faith in them, but hey you never know).

Ranger, like I say could flame-out.... or have another meltdown. :eh:

If any one of Fraser/Brennan/Holzer are called upon to fill in Top 4 for any length of time they're hooped.

So yeah, they've lost a lot of depth on both offense and defense = a few good injuries: Fuggetaboutit.

GOALTENDING:

They're not going to get better goaltending than they did last season - Bernier or no Bernier.

Reimer/Scrivens were 9th in save percentage (even if it was a fluke in a shortened season).

LUCK FACTOR:

Speaking of fluky and last season, they are not likely to repeat that run of ridiculously good luck.

Worst shot differential in the league?

Horrible possession numbers?

And they STILL make they playoffs?? :crazy:

Being number one in shooting percentage saved them - NOT going to happen again.

Saaaay... you're not some kind of Leaf-loving Leiweke-koolaid-swilling sickoid are ya Darren? :mrgreen:

I love how you suddenly overrate all the guys that are gone.

And the goaltending can't get better? LOL. They replaced Scrivens with Bernier.

And shot differential and possession numbers mean so much to you what aboutgoaltending? They made the playoffs last season because they have some of the best goaltending in the NHL. And their PK was terrific. But no, everything is luck, right?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: I love how you suddenly overrate all the guys that are gone.

And shot differential and possession numbers mean so much to you what aboutgoaltending? They made the playoffs last season because they had some of the best goaltending in the NHL. And their PK was terrific. But no, everything is luck, right?
Their PK was merely decent... apart from great goaltending.

As you say "they had some of the best goaltending in the NHL".

Even the Leaves know that was a fluke, which is why they traded Scrivens/picked up Bernier.

Weird things happen in shortened (read illegitimate) seasons.

Even the Great Strangelove predicted the Leaves would make the playoffs last season.

See, usually the Great Strangelove predicts the Leaves will miss the post-season.

And the Great Strangelove is always right. :mrgreen:

So yeah don't get your Leaf-loving hopes too high this year there fishboy. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Are you kidding? HF is nothing but a board dedicated to Leaf hate. They let the leaves get slammed more than any fanbase.
True but not as much as they should. Image

Case in point, they make the playoffs in a shortened-season fluke... and get all cocky like. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: I love how you suddenly overrate all the guys that are gone.

And shot differential and possession numbers mean so much to you what aboutgoaltending? They made the playoffs last season because they had some of the best goaltending in the NHL. And their PK was terrific. But no, everything is luck, right?
Their PK was merely decent... apart from great goaltending.

As you say "they had some of the best goaltending in the NHL".

Even the Leaves know that was a fluke, which is why they traded Scrivens/picked up Bernier.

Weird things happen in shortened (read illegitimate) seasons.

Even the Great Strangelove predicted the Leaves would make the playoffs last season.

See, usually the Great Strangelove predicts the Leaves will miss the post-season.

And the Great Strangelove is always right. :mrgreen:

So yeah don't get your Leaf-loving hopes too high this year there fishboy. :wink:
Decent? Then why was it second best in the entire NHL?

And Reimer merely posted similar numbers from his rookie season. Hardly a fluke.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

leaves won't be making the playoffs in 13-14. Last season was a fluke. Reimer played over his head and then came back to earth in the playoffs. Team is thin at centre, hanging their hat on Bernier who has no pedigree at this level and they gave David Clarkson a 40 point guy at best the worst contract in the NHL. Don't change Nonis! You fat chunk of shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BigTuna wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting that they didn't use the compliance buyout on JML and the regular buy out on Komisarek. Would have given them a few more bucks and Komisarek had only one year left.

I do think Bernier gives them the "potential" to have very solid goaltending but so much will depend upon them being a better team defensively overall.

If last season was a full 82 game schedule I still don't think they would have made the playoffs though. They will miss Garbo's production.
Grabo was very bad last season. They made the playoffs without his help. This is wishful-thinking on your part.

Why would you even say that since you don't know me? Do you assume that everyone here hates the leaves or wish for them to fail? Why is it that when someone offers constructive criticism or an honest assessment or opinion you automatically go on the attack? Fine, tell me you don't agree with my opinion but don't analyze why I came to that conclusion by being so dismissive. Awful lot like RD.....hmmmm.

It wouldn't be so bad if you knew the facts but your revisionist history is very telling.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Decent? Then why was it second best in the entire NHL?
You haven't been listening.

Goaltending. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.