2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby $lacker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

A couple more things on the Grabo front:

From Puck Daddy today:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-mikhail-grabovski-remains-nhl-free-agent-exile-173331851.html
"If term was the focus earlier in the process, it no longer is. Greenstin told us on Tuesday that Grabovski would likely take a 1-year contract with whichever NHL team signs him, which is the desire for both the player and his agent."

And SI yesterday:
http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/20/brad-boyes-ilya-bryzgalov-nhl-free-agents/?sct=nhl_t11_a0

Mikhail Grabovski
An inflated sense of worth is all that’s keeping him from getting a new deal . . . at least in the opinion of one NHL GM. “He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” the GM told Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. “And once everybody who wanted a center signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.” That’s probably true, to an extent. You can’t blame Grabovski for wanting to double-dip—after all, he signed the first contract in good faith—and the next team doesn’t have an inherent right to get him at a discount simply because he’s got a load of cash coming to him. So as misguided as the GM’s indignation might be, it’s fair to say that it’s a factor. But the bigger issue for Grabovski, 29, is whether there’s a team out there that shares his belief that he can center a second line. The past few seasons with the Maple Leafs exposed his weakness as a playmaker, and after scoring nine goals in 2013 there are questions about his ability to finish . . . and no one can miss his minus-10 rating in seven playoff games last spring. Grabovski isn’t as bad as that number suggests, but it reinforces questions of where he fits, and what a team thinks that role is worth. If an NHL team does bite, I’m betting it’ll be Vancouver.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I dunno about Grabbo. I think his off ice issues may be a bit too much for MG.

Am I missing something beyond the barfight during the Olympics (Zack Kassian has one of those under his belt) or the burned bridges in TO?

He does have that top six talent but it would definitely mean moving Kesler to the third line and would close the door for JS.

Well Kesler can play the wing and will probably see the IR at some point (and should see it sooner than in years previous rather than playing through injuries, IMO anyway). Grabovski has played with another center, Jay McClement who I do not believe lines up at the wing, so he may be able to move as well.

Lastly Schroeder should be able to do the same - the deal he signed indicates he is willing to be flexible off the ice if it keeps him on the roster, there's no reason he shouldn't be willing to accept any role the team has in mind for him.

For the right price on a one year deal I guess he is worth a try but he was 0 points and a minus 10 in the playoffs last year. Not exactly the type we need when the going gets tough.

Did not watch the Leafs playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.

That being said he was arguably miscast all year long and for a player with several years preceding this one with a strong track record as a two-way contributor I'd say an abysmal playoffs following a season where he could not play his way up the lineup (despite his play actually meriting it) is not the end of the world.

I mean it is a red flag to be sure. But we wouldn't be talking about signing him in late August if he didn't have a red flag on him. He still had a strong season in terms of possession data with the toughest matchups of any Leafs forward, and he has a few seasons prior as their best forward from a possession standpoint. Whether you consider him the second line center or the third line center is immaterial to me, the bottom line is that he is a center who can play hockey at the NHL level and we need a third one.

I also think that MG is committed this year to letting a couple of the young kids get opportunities to make the team and play meaningful minutes with the club. This is the year that fan expectations are all over the place so maybe this is the year to do that. Its also the year to see if Booth can contribute in a meaningful way.

Well I agree that's probably what's going to happen, I just don't think any of the forward prospects (other than Schroeder) are in a make or break year where they have to win a full time NHL job - I think that forcing them to win someone else's job is a good thing.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Grabs and Murray would be nice... wonder if that's possible with Tanev staying as well.

No way I'd bump Kesler to the third line in favour of Grabs though.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Grabs and Murray would be nice... wonder if that's possible with Tanev staying as well.

No way I'd bump Kesler to the third line in favour of Grabs though.

MG should convince Grabs that if he signs with the Canucks for a year at the league minimum, that alone would piss the Leafs management (especially Nonis) off more than scoring goals against the Leafs. :mrgreen:

As for Murray, he would be a wonderful addition for sure.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

dbr wrote:Did not watch the Leafs playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.

I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

Grabovski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schroeder.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm

$lacker wrote:And SI yesterday:
http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/20/brad-boyes-ilya-bryzgalov-nhl-free-agents/?sct=nhl_t11_a0
If an NHL team does bite, I’m betting it’ll be Vancouver.

Who the hell is Allan Muir and how much does he want to bet. :mex:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Strangelove wrote:

That would be funny, can you imagine Bryz in the goalie graveyard? His agent should be trolling The K for a contract big time
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 pm

So I guess we sign Alberts now and that's our team. :|
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

That would be funny, can you imagine Bryz in the goalie graveyard? His agent should be trolling The K for a contract big time

Read better
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:18 pm

dbr wrote:
Read better

Woops well Grabovski is going to the Caps right? Did we even have the money to bite?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am

Not at that price.

Seems like a no brainer that a Caps team desperate for a cheap center would be a great fit for Grabovski, the Canucks could certainly use him but there are probably more teams that need a proven center for their top nine than there are teams that do not - and we don't have the cap space to even compete with a $3m offer.

HW is right though, even though we still have $2m and change left and a roster spot open I think we'll see an open competition in camp for better or worse. Maybe we see a desperate vet signed in the next couple weeks a la Raffi Torres in 2010, but the odds of landing a legit 2nd/3rd line type are slim to none.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 am

I expect they'll leave the spots open for competition and maybe even rotate some of the youth in and out of the lineup the first part of the season. Torts wants the youth to steal someones job and if that happens you'll start to see a body or two move.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tciso » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am

Rumsfeld wrote:So I guess we sign Alberts now and that's our team. :|

I am gruntled with Alberts. He knows our old system. Hopefully, he can adapt in less than 30 games to our new system ( he was brutal when he came here late season, and didn't know AV's system)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BigTuna » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Meds wrote:
dbr wrote:Did not watch the Leafs playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.

I did. I'd take him. He never quit. He got knocked around quite a bit by the Bruins, but who doesn't? Regardless, every time he did get put on his ass it was in the corner or in front of the net. He was fearless, and he always bounced right back up and got back in the play as quickly as he could. Open ice and down the wing the Bruins weren't fast enough to touch him.....most of the time.

Grabovski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schroeder.

I don't care if it closes the door on JS. Grabovski would give the Canucks the option of 3 attacking lines, or the standard 1-2-Shutdown-Grinder approach.

Ths is 100% true. But in the end, you have to score and the guy did NOTHING offensively in that series. I think he got way too much ice-time in the playoffs.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Madcombinepilot » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I am not worried about Alberts adjusting to a new system. Wen he first came here, it was mid season on a trade. This time, he will get the benefit from a training camp. He will be fine.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat