Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

Because he played the year. No harm, no foul.

Can league demand all corespondence between the Sens, Alfie and his agent? Good luck with that.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:For the Pronger LTIR cap relief to work, they'd have to somehow get him on the opening day roster. Not sure if that is doable for the Flyers.
They can't put Pronger on the LTIR until after the 2nd game of the season.

That's why I suggested they tell Franson to hold out until then.

I'd love to see a team offer-sheet Kadri/Franson.

Probably won't happen, but I'll be one dancing banana if it does. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Because he played the year. No harm, no foul.

Can league demand all corespondence between the Sens, Alfie and his agent? Good luck with that.

Well, there is harm and foul if you admit you did it to lower the cap. Luongo may play out his contract but it was still set up to lower the cap.

I don't think the league wants to open that can of worms especially since the Sens are in financial hardship and it is a team they could potentially have to bail out. I think they went after the NJD not because of Lou but because of Wang. I dunno. Just seems if they were so bothered by cap circumvention that they would play fair and go after all offenders.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:For the Pronger LTIR cap relief to work, they'd have to somehow get him on the opening day roster. Not sure if that is doable for the Flyers.
They can't put Pronger on the LTIR until after the 2nd game of the season.

That's why I suggested they tell Franson to hold out until then.

I'd love to see a team offer-sheet Kadri/Franson.

Probably won't happen, but I'll be one dancing banana if it does. :mrgreen:

So I guess the same applies to Booth re LTIR. Not that it matters much. With Pronger you know he is done so you can spend over the cap knowing you won't be in a pickle a month or two down the road. With Booth we would have to make sure we have cap room once he is ready to come back. But Gillman has worked wonders in the past for us with Salo, Bieksa and Edler.

I'd love to get Franson by the way.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:Because he played the year. No harm, no foul.

Well, there is harm and foul if you admit you did it to lower the cap. Luongo may play out his contract but it was still set up to lower the cap.
Well, since he did play, the cap was lowered because he actually got paid less the last year. Thus the combined cap hit for the four years equalled what he had been paid. Thus no harm, no foul. If he had retired before the fourth year, as was planned, the cap would have been artificially lowered, because what they had paid him for the three years he played would have been more than the combined cap hit for those three years. So basically, they entertained the idea of committing a crime, but in the end they didn't do it. Thus no need for the league to investigate what never took place.

And yes, the Senators took Alfie for granted and that pissed him off.
They should have offered him a better deal last year, and then he'd still be theirs.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So it looks like we're down to a new episode of Doug the Slug or Fat Alberts reruns.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:So it looks like we're down to a new episode of Doug the Slug or Fat Alberts reruns.
I'm good with these guys.

Not everyone can be a speed merchant.

However not everyone can open a can of whoop ass with the greatest of ease. Image
Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So it looks like we're down to a new episode of Doug the Slug or Fat Alberts reruns.
I'm good with these guys.

Not everyone can be a speed merchant.

However not everyone can of whoop ass. Image
Anyone with the nickname "Crankshaft" is welcome on my team any day :D

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

[quote="$lacker"
Anyone with the nickname "Crankshaft" is welcome on my team any day :D

Image[/quote]
Bringing in deadline day players sure hasn't paid off of late. They almost never re-sign and unless you win a cup, spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy who plays what, 12 games then the playoffs is pretty damn stupid IMHO.

The guy who cut and pasted Dugs head on a cartoon spent more time making it than Duggy spent dressed in black & gold ffs.
If you need air...call it in
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

So , last year we were 9th in Goals against and 19th in Goals for.. A stay at home Dman isn't going to solve the
problem.. NO OFFENCE..

PS Doc.. we were not elite last year and Luongo was 15th in goals against .. we ranked about 14th .. Not top 10..
:(.. so am expecting a slow year this year while we wait for the rebuild. * Hopefully an "on the fly" rebuild ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote:So , last year we were 9th in Goals against and 19th in Goals for.. A stay at home Dman isn't going to solve the
problem.. NO OFFENCE..

PS Doc.. we were not elite last year and Luongo was 15th in goals against .. we ranked about 14th .. Not top 10..
:(.. so am expecting a slow year this year while we wait for the rebuild. * Hopefully an "on the fly" rebuild ..
A healthy Kesler + Booth plus a better power play could solve the offense problem.

Not to mention the stepping up of one or two of Kassian/Corrado/Gaunce/Jensen/Horvat.

20 games is WAY too small of a sample size to write-off one of the greatest goalies in NHL history.

Anything can happen in the parity of the game today given the same core that recently knocked upon the door.

Chin up ole bean. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I would have taken a stab at Fistric for $900,000. $900k is already firmly in bargain bin territory, so Gillis must be looking elsewhere because I can't see him going into the season with only five NHL quality defensemen. Maybe we'll see some more PTOs, or he is set on handing a spot to Corrado.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

herb wrote:I would have taken a stab at Fistric for $900,000. $900k is already firmly in bargain bin territory, so Gillis must be looking elsewhere because I can't see him going into the season with only five NHL quality defensemen. Maybe we'll see some more PTOs, or he is set on handing a spot to Corrado.
Or maybe he has no idea on how to GM an NHL that wasn't handed to him on a silver platter?
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

So much for Crankshaft!

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 5m
Douglas Murray to the Canadiens on a 1-year deal, per @CanadiensMTL