Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ESQ » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:30 pm

tantalum wrote:Let me predict the future.

At the home opener, Lou will get a standing ovation from the fans when the starting lineup/team is announced.

On Team 1040 the next day they'll be discussing about how it was complete BS and start a poll on when the city will turn on Luongo. To make sure they so they will have show after show and stupid caller after stupid caller talking about all the reason why someone should turn on him.

Some in the Vancouver media will write a column that is was BS that was completely orchestrated by Gillis, no the ownership, no Gillis, no the ownership....

Bountiful and other fan bases around will somehow rationalize the standing ovation as a classless move on the part of a classless fan base and classless organization.


:|

You make it all seem so....pointless.

You've moved my post-playoffs melancholy up to pre-pre-season.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:48 pm

We should all kill ourselves right before the puck-drop of game 1.

You first Orcasfan. :D
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Under Royaldude's bed

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:37 pm

tantalum wrote:Let me predict the future.

At the home opener, Lou will get a standing ovation from the fans when the starting lineup/team is announced.

On Team 1040 the next day they'll be discussing about how it was complete BS and start a poll on when the city will turn on Luongo. To make sure they so they will have show after show and stupid caller after stupid caller talking about all the reason why someone should turn on him.

Some in the Vancouver media will write a column that is was BS that was completely orchestrated by Gillis, no the ownership, no Gillis, no the ownership....

Bountiful and other fan bases around will somehow rationalize the standing ovation as a classless move on the part of a classless fan base and classless organization.


All we care about is the 'W' tant.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby tantalum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Certainly you do and I do and most true canuck fans do. The W is the only thing that matters. But beyond the first thing in my future prediction nothing involves those real fans.

They may pretend it's the win that is most important but it's obvious that even if the W happens they will constantly be looking for something wrong with those Ws.

Hell, we've talked about on various forms that there seemed to be a lack of accountability in the dressing room or that AV had lost the room. Another voice was needed and one that would make things perhaps uncomfortable for the players etc etc. For some reason the vancouver media instead of saying "hmmm perhaps Gillis a hockey man all his life from player, agent and GM also sees these things" it's "ownership forced him to hire Torts!" (btw Willes backed off that claim in a column a few days ago saying it was in fact Gillis' decision).

I really would love to be able to stream some decent hockey talk out of Vancouver while I'm in my office dodgin tornadoes but I quite simply can't. It's depressing really.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm

This is the best prediction of all summer thus far!

Topper wrote: I predict that in mid October we'll be burning Lou at the stake for another slow start, but by New Years we'll be sucking the snow from his skate blades while splugeing over the play of Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk in the WJC. By the end of Sochi the whole country will be chanting Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.


:mex:

:rockin:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:12 pm

tantalum wrote:Certainly you do and I do and most true canuck fans do. The W is the only thing that matters. But beyond the first thing in my future prediction nothing involves those real fans.

They may pretend it's the win that is most important but it's obvious that even if the W happens they will constantly be looking for something wrong with those Ws.

Hell, we've talked about on various forms that there seemed to be a lack of accountability in the dressing room or that AV had lost the room.

Another voice was needed and one that would make things perhaps uncomfortable for the players etc etc. For some reason the vancouver media instead of saying "hmmm perhaps Gillis a hockey man all his life from player, agent and GM also sees these things" it's "ownership forced him to hire Torts!" (btw Willes backed off that claim in a column a few days ago saying it was in fact Gillis' decision).

I really would love to be able to stream some decent hockey talk out of Vancouver while I'm in my office dodgin tornadoes but I quite simply can't. It's depressing really.


Come on Tant don't let all the losers bring ya down, cheer up budz, get blob or rd to smoke ya up real good. :p

haha yeah I seen all the blogger rip on Willes for that, hilarious.

With a whole coaching culture shock change, things will switch up real fast in the dressing room and the players like it or not will have to adapt to the old school - shape up or ship out way of life.

I think some players will relish in this new type of no nonsense atmosphere, every player will know where they stand with Torts, nobody will have to worry so much.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

SKYO wrote:With a whole coaching culture shock change, things will switch up real fast in the dressing room and the players like it or not will have to adapt to the old school - shape up or ship out way of life.

I think some players will relish in this new type of no nonsense atmosphere, every player will know where they stand with Torts, nobody will have to worry so much.


This post actually makes a lot of sense If you take a hit off a bong first. Inhale and hold it in. Then give it a few minutes to kick in. Then, this post makes sense.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Under Royaldude's bed

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 am

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:With a whole coaching culture shock change, things will switch up real fast in the dressing room and the players like it or not will have to adapt to the old school - shape up or ship out way of life.

I think some players will relish in this new type of no nonsense atmosphere, every player will know where they stand with Torts, nobody will have to worry so much.


This post actually makes a lot of sense If you take a hit off a bong first. Inhale and hold it in. Then give it a few minutes to kick in. Then, this post makes sense.

Pretty much everything makes sense viewed through a bong...either that or not much matters anymore..
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:With a whole coaching culture shock change, things will switch up real fast in the dressing room and the players like it or not will have to adapt to the old school - shape up or ship out way of life.

I think some players will relish in this new type of no nonsense atmosphere, every player will know where they stand with Torts, nobody will have to worry so much.


This post actually makes a lot of sense If you take a hit off a bong first. Inhale and hold it in. Then give it a few minutes to kick in. Then, this post makes sense.

lol was just shootin the shit. :lol: summernights in all.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Per » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Douglas Murray has been in Stockholm for some Olympic preparation. in an interview with Expressen they touch upon his contract situation. Loosely translated:

It's not very likely that UFA Douglas Murray will continue to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
"No, we've had some discussions. The door's not entirely closed, but they signed Rob Scuderi and he's played and won with them before, so there's really nothing strange with that," says Murray.
He's trying not to worry about the uncertain situation judt weeks before the NHL premiere.
"That's why it's good to have an agent. It doesn't help my situation to worry. I think about it, of course, and especially when the agent calls to give me an update. Otherwise I try to ignore it and just prepare myself for the season.
The Vancouver Canucks is supposedly one of the teams that have expressed interest for Murray, but he refuses to comment on possible destinations.
"It's a special year. There's really not much space anywhere. I do have several options. It may not be exactly what I'm looking for. You know it's not going to be as good as if you had signed a contract last season."
Over the past four years Murray has earned ten million dollars, more than 65 million crowns.
"At the same time, you have to be cautios. It'll probably be a one or two year contract, but it's not just about the money. I've been doing this for quite some time now, and I've seen that those who sign a lesser contract easily get stuck there, or in that role, that they get treated like they're worth less, which is fairly common, unfortunately. That's what makes it tougher. But if they have to move a guy to make room for you, then they have invested in you. It's important for me that they show me that."
Do you have any contract offers you could sign right now?
"Yes, I guess you can say I do."
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/murray-vill-inte-salja-sig-billigt-viktigt/

So, sounds like has several offers, but is not really pleased with them and wants some team to convince him they are really committed to him. Isn't this what Gillis supposedly is excellent at?
I would definitely not mind seeing him in a Canuck uniform. As so many others have said, he's not the best D-man out there, but he's skills are decent enough, and he brings some size and grit. You do not want to mess with Douglas Murray. And that's a message we could have needed to send in some games over the past three playoffs.
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Per wrote:Douglas Murray has been in Stockholm for some Olympic preparation. in an interview with Expressen they touch upon his contract situation. Loosely translated:

"At the same time, you have to be cautios. It'll probably be a one or two year contract, but it's not just about the money. I've been doing this for quite some time now, and I've seen that those who sign a lesser contract easily get stuck there, or in that role, that they get treated like they're worth less, which is fairly common, unfortunately. That's what makes it tougher. But if they have to move a guy to make room for you, then they have invested in you. It's important for me that they show me that."
Do you have any contract offers you could sign right now?
"Yes, I guess you can say I do."
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/murray-vill-inte-salja-sig-billigt-viktigt/

So, sounds like has several offers, but is not really pleased with them and wants some team to convince him they are really committed to him. Isn't this what Gillis supposedly is excellent at?
I would definitely not mind seeing him in a Canuck uniform. As so many others have said, he's not the best D-man out there, but he's skills are decent enough, and he brings some size and grit. You do not want to mess with Douglas Murray. And that's a message we could have needed to send in some games over the past three playoffs.


Gillis is more known for not bending over backwards to accommodate any UFA, he expresses interest, makes a sound offer, shows them what is expected to be a Canuck with being involved in the community plus be a part of team that wants to win it all, and then hopes/expects the potential UFA to want and be happy to play for this organization, if not then adios!
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:28 pm

I just don't think we'll see anything until the Tanev situation is resolved. At that time MG will know exactly how much he has to spend. I doubt a 2-3 year contract is the problem. Its more about fitting someone in under the cap this season, while still allowing breathing room to make changes if needed. Not that I'm suggesting a 3 year deal for Murray, just saying a multi year deal won't be our problem this year, this year is our problem.

When is Tanev's hearing?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:When is Tanev's hearing?


I'm hearing there's no hearing. :mrgreen:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6903
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:When is Tanev's hearing?


I'm hearing there's no hearing. :mrgreen:



Isn't he going to arbitration? Or are you saying he has a deal soon to be announced.

*edit*

Oh so I did a little googling and it seems he has no arbitration rights. Right? So he really has no options if he wants to stay in the NHL.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:When is Tanev's hearing?


I'm hearing there's no hearing. :mrgreen:



Isn't he going to arbitration? Or are you saying he has a deal soon to be announced.

*edit*

Oh so I did a little googling and it seems he has no arbitration rights. Right? So he really has no options if he wants to stay in the NHL.


Right no rights. :mrgreen:

I'd say Tanev is trying for something like $1.5 per on a two year deal or #1.3 per on a 2 year.

Gillis & Co probably trying to get him wrapped up for just over a mil.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this is a sign-and-trade.

If Garrison plays the right side with Edler, they might be happy with this on the RS:

Bieksa, Garrison, Corrado, Weber.

Of course they'd need 2 LS guys coming in if that's the case (Murray & Alberts??).

I dunno, just silly summertime speculation....
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6903
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests