Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Murray is probably the better player but as I alluded, he's also the more expensive player.

He was basically the #5 on a shallow Sharks D, there is no way he would have supplanted the Edler-Garrison/Salo or Hamhuis/Bieksa pairings we've been rolling with the last few years.

He would probably complement Tanev pretty nicely on the bottom pairing, kind of a stay-at-home keep it simple 5/6.

Although you just know the refs will raise their arm every time he touches somebody one he's a hated Vancouver Canuck.

Just seen him get walked too many times to make me super-stoked about him.... the Sedins used to play pig-in-the-middle with the dude in the corners.

You know, back when the Sedins could actually hold the puck in the offensive zone for more than 10 seconds. :P
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Just seen him get walked too many times to make me super-stoked about him.... the Sedins used to play pig-in-the-middle with the dude in the corners.

He makes up for it by murdering guys in front of the net!

And by dropping the gloves immediately when the situation calls for it.

If he did these things WITHOUT getting walked once in awhile he'd be a top-4 big money earner.

I'd love Douglas Murray and his warts on our 3rd pairing for less than $1.5m.
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby tantalum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Murray for cheap I'd be fine with. I know we'd all love to have 20 minute a night capable guys in the 6/7/8 slots but the fact is under a cap environment that simply isn't achievable (and certainly not this season with a low cap).

As a #6 Murray would be fine...just don't expect much more than that quality of play. He brings a dynamic missing from the blueline as well. He will put guys on their asses BEFORE they score.

I get the feeling Corrado is going to get the Tanev treatment...that is being the defacto #7 but if the blueline is healthy he'll be in Utica. He'll shuttle between the two cities.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Is he a lefty or righty? Not that it really matters just curious.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Jovocop wrote:Poor Luongo, his MB SUV's tires were stolen.

Ya know it looks to me that Luongo isn't really all that upset anymore. How come the media are not picking up that he seems OK? Not news worthy?

One of the things MG promised him is that if and when his B/U starts to get the attention to being a number one he will be moved earlier than they moved CS. That was the plan all along and it went off the rails. I think the Canucks do it differently from here on out. If not you can bet they won't get another chance to kiss and make up with Luongo.

They have also told him that when this cap recapture clause no longer scares other GM's he can still be moved but it may take a couple of years. Time enough for the cap to go up, a few teams to keep tanking and for the Canucks to develop a replacement. And if they do and they still can't move Luongo look for an earlier trade of the B/U.

Oh and Luongo, he has gotten his mind around still being a Canuck and he is excited to have what he considers another chance to win with this core.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Is he a lefty or righty? Not that it really matters just curious.

Last time I brought up Murray someone pointed out that he plays the left side exclusively.

So we'd probably be looking at something like:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Murray - Tanev
Alberts(??) - Weber

Corrado, playing top minutes in Utica, gets the call if there's a LTIR in the top 4.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Strangelove wrote:So we'd probably be looking at something like:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Murray - Tanev
Alberts(??) - Weber

Corrado, playing top minutes in Utica, gets the call if there's a LTIR in the top 4.

It's either Murray or Alberts, no way we re-sign Tanev and get them both.

And yeah, if the Canucks are healthy then Corrado plays big minutes in the A.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:It's either Murray or Alberts, no way we re-sign Tanev and get them both.

Why not, we do have the cap room.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:It's either Murray or Alberts, no way we re-sign Tanev and get them both.

Why not, we do have the cap room.

Any extra cap room should be used on a forward or to facilitate a trade at some point in the season...

We signed Weber as a #7 and Corrado is a call-up #8. Waste of much-needed cap space to sign them all.

Also I think anything under 2 mill a season for Murray is pretty optimistic.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Murray at this point makes $1.5m max IMPO.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)
Mike Santorelli ($0.550m)*
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Douglas Murray ($1.500m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($0.700m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,303,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $996,667

* or Lain @ $0.600m

Remember we can't have that forward you crave unless we move out Burrows/Booth.

So yeah we're probably gonna run with something like you see above until the deadline at least.

But don't worry, the Great Strangelove has scientifically proven that lineup is as good as the 2010-11 lineup. :thumbs:
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Per » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:21 am

Jovocop wrote:Poor Luongo, his MB SUV's tires were stolen.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/08/13 ... witterfeed

Luongo seems to have a pretty good relationship with Lack. :lol:

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 I DIDN'T DO IT I SWEAR!!!!!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack I know for a fact it wasn't you cuz you'd probably still be out there trying to take the first tire off

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 if it was me I would leave a meatball as a signature card! #wetbandits

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack leaving a trail of sauce all the way back to your house.......

Yeah, there seems to be a generally good atmosphere among the goalies on the team. Andrew Raycroft was interviewed on Björklöven's website and after talking about negativity in Toronto and chaos in Colorado he says:
Luckily for me I got to play in Vancouver the following season, which gave me back much of the positive I feel for hockey. It was probably the most fun season I've had so far.

In Vancouver you had to compete for ice time with Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider.

Fantasic guys that I still talk to on a regular basis, we're good friends. Everything worked well there with the team, the organisation, the city. We really liked it in Vancouver my wife and I.

http://www.bjorkloven.com/2013/08/09/in ... -raycroft/
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

Did somebody steal Roberto’s tires so they could pump them?

Guys like Murray, Alberts and Fistric will likely be taking pay cuts over what they made last year. The market for depth defenseman and forwards is obviously tight due to the lower cap.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 am

This is awesome! :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/must-see-roberto-luongo-world-style-tribute-vancouver-122636096.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 am

Game one at Rogers Arena should be very loud with all the Lou cheers.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby tantalum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 am

Let me predict the future.

At the home opener, Lou will get a standing ovation from the fans when the starting lineup/team is announced.

On Team 1040 the next day they'll be discussing about how it was complete BS and start a poll on when the city will turn on Luongo. To make sure they so they will have show after show and stupid caller after stupid caller talking about all the reason why someone should turn on him.

Some in the Vancouver media will write a column that is was BS that was completely orchestrated by Gillis, no the ownership, no Gillis, no the ownership....

Bountiful and other fan bases around will somehow rationalize the standing ovation as a classless move on the part of a classless fan base and classless organization.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat