Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Meds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season. That said, Alberts is the same ole same ole, and as fans we tend to get more excited about new blood.

You know it's been a boring fucking summer when our biggest personnel decision involves a #6 D-man. :lol:

I blame Obama.

Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Jovocop wrote:Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.

Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 pm

What's suppose luongo takes care of Murray's steak bill on the road...
(If in fact we could land the big man.)
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm

ESQ wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Murray would be the 5th D-man for the Canucks, ahead of Tanev, at least I hope... I always hate him when he nailed the Canucks. Like I said before, Murray might be a pylon, but he is a huge pylon. This Canucks team lacks size, grit, and toughness on the backend. Murray brings all that to the table. The only problem is that he probably commands the most out of the three D-men.

Murray was a top-4 d, and prior to last year was logging major ES and PK minutes, but zero PP minutes, which put him at #4 on the Sharks. Last year his icetime fell back, but he was still the top PK defenseman. Following his trade, his ES and PK icetime got bumped up.

Murray averaged about 5 minutes more ES time per game than Alberts, and 2 minutes more PK time per game. That is substantial, and having a #5 dman like Murray who can eat up ES and PK minutes, freeing up guys like Bieksa and Edler (and Hamhuis for that matter) to get more PP time could be great. That is definitely something Alberts can't provide, and I doubt if Fistric could either.

I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby $lacker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.

I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 pm

$lacker wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I would offer Murray a 3-yr $7.5m contract. That just gives the Canucks a little cap room with Tanev signing at somewhere around $1.5m.

I like Murray but a 3 year deal doesn't feel right. He's 33 and slow, and he aint' getting any quicker.

2 yrs at $2mill per? Now we're talking! :D

I got a feeling that Murray is looking for term more than money. Perhaps something like 3-yrs $7m would do (2.5, 2.5, & 2). If the salary cap keeps going up in the next two seasons, the $2m would be a bargain for a 6th or 7th D-man in 2015. ;)
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm

You also want a very limited NTC. I'm sure he will want one so you limit it. If the team tanks he becomes a tradable commodity, not for much but a 2nd perhaps.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Poor Luongo, his MB SUV's tires were stolen.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/08/13 ... witterfeed

Luongo seems to have a pretty good relationship with Lack. :lol:

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 I DIDN'T DO IT I SWEAR!!!!!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack I know for a fact it wasn't you cuz you'd probably still be out there trying to take the first tire off

Eddie Lack ‏@eddielack
@strombone1 if it was me I would leave a meatball as a signature card! #wetbandits

Strombone ‏@strombone1
@eddielack leaving a trail of sauce all the way back to your house.......
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So between Murray, Fistric and Alberts, who would be the best fit?

Murray brings ridiculous size and can add a much-needed intimidation factor, but he's a pylon.

Fistric is the best hitter of the group, something we also sorely need, but again he gets burned more often than Meds in a spelling bee.

Alberts might actually be the best option of the three... he's got a combination of all the factors listed above, he's probably more affordable, and he really improved his gap control last season.

Murray was once a top 4 defenseman.

Well sort of.

He's still much more effective than Alberts/Fistric.

Murray is a SOLID #6 (you don't move him in and out of the press box like an Alberts or a Fistric

And Murray is BY FAR the bigger asshole.

Douglas Murray is going to kill someone one day.

I sincerely hope your Vancouver Canucks him asap. :thumbs:
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:42 pm

The way contracts are going of late I'd say they both sign for around $1.2m per each.
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Murray is probably the better player but as I alluded, he's also the more expensive player.

He was basically the #5 on a shallow Sharks D, there is no way he would have supplanted the Edler-Garrison/Salo or Hamhuis/Bieksa pairings we've been rolling with the last few years.

He would probably complement Tanev pretty nicely on the bottom pairing, kind of a stay-at-home keep it simple 5/6.

Although you just know the refs will raise their arm every time he touches somebody one he's a hated Vancouver Canuck.

Just seen him get walked too many times to make me super-stoked about him.... the Sedins used to play pig-in-the-middle with the dude in the corners.

You know, back when the Sedins could actually hold the puck in the offensive zone for more than 10 seconds. :P
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Just seen him get walked too many times to make me super-stoked about him.... the Sedins used to play pig-in-the-middle with the dude in the corners.

He makes up for it by murdering guys in front of the net!

And by dropping the gloves immediately when the situation calls for it.

If he did these things WITHOUT getting walked once in awhile he'd be a top-4 big money earner.

I'd love Douglas Murray and his warts on our 3rd pairing for less than $1.5m.
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby tantalum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Murray for cheap I'd be fine with. I know we'd all love to have 20 minute a night capable guys in the 6/7/8 slots but the fact is under a cap environment that simply isn't achievable (and certainly not this season with a low cap).

As a #6 Murray would be fine...just don't expect much more than that quality of play. He brings a dynamic missing from the blueline as well. He will put guys on their asses BEFORE they score.

I get the feeling Corrado is going to get the Tanev treatment...that is being the defacto #7 but if the blueline is healthy he'll be in Utica. He'll shuttle between the two cities.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Is he a lefty or righty? Not that it really matters just curious.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Jovocop wrote:Poor Luongo, his MB SUV's tires were stolen.

Ya know it looks to me that Luongo isn't really all that upset anymore. How come the media are not picking up that he seems OK? Not news worthy?

One of the things MG promised him is that if and when his B/U starts to get the attention to being a number one he will be moved earlier than they moved CS. That was the plan all along and it went off the rails. I think the Canucks do it differently from here on out. If not you can bet they won't get another chance to kiss and make up with Luongo.

They have also told him that when this cap recapture clause no longer scares other GM's he can still be moved but it may take a couple of years. Time enough for the cap to go up, a few teams to keep tanking and for the Canucks to develop a replacement. And if they do and they still can't move Luongo look for an earlier trade of the B/U.

Oh and Luongo, he has gotten his mind around still being a Canuck and he is excited to have what he considers another chance to win with this core.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat