HNIC may leave CBC :)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by Aaronp18 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Oh wait... none of you fuckers watch the CFL...
What are you talking about?

I use CFL's, they last way longer and save electricity compared to the incandescent bulbs.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Any chance that Rogers and CTV join up again to purchase the rights to Saturday night games together? I don't think they could call it Hockey Night in Canada as CBC owns that name (do they not?)

When Rogers + CTV got the rights to the 2010 games, it was amazing. Something like 6 to 8 different channels broadcasting various sports instead of the single channel CBC showing Canada what they (CBC) thought we wanted to see.

As far as CBC is concerned, they can simply buy rights to another night, call it HNIC and keep the same crew.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

CBC has Hughson under exclusive contract until the end of this season....Sadly, he'll never come back to regional broadcasts, he is too widely-regarded as the best in the biz and SN Pacific can't compete with whoever the new national broadcaster is.

I've never forgiven CBC for not picking up that Canucks-Boston game for a national broadcast. It was so astoundingly short-sighted, and ended up being one of the best reg season games of the year. And it was all because they didn't want to use up on of their national broadcast game rights on a Vancouver game with the most intriguing storylines of any game we've seen in ages.

That being said, TSN will do no better - remember the intermission coverage of the leaves' 4th line changes during the Sharks-Canucks series this year?

I'd love to see an NFL model, where national games are projected to reward the best teams, and crap franchises don't get them handed to them. That is key to growing the game - ensuring the best product gets the best promotion. Sadly, CBC and likely TSN will be able to get by with just regurgitating more leaves garbage and promoting the worst franchise of the past decade, and still make a pile of money.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:There was an odd CBC political/propaganda commercial during the football game yesterday. I wasn't really paying attention... anyone know what it was about?

Oh wait... none of you fuckers watch the CFL...
I saw it. I think it was about stopping the politicization of the CBC...but I was stoned so I may have fucked it all up...but I think I got it!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Oh wait... none of you fuckers watch the CFL...
What are you talking about?

I use CFL's, they last way longer and save electricity compared to the incandescent bulbs.
Ya but are you really watching it AP?
...this is where Eddy focuses his energy and loses his depth perception I would imagine
If you need air...call it in
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

For those who aren't familiar with territory east of the Rockies.
Population of Ontario: 13m
Population of people in the Eastern time zone: 21m
Population of BC (and in the Pacific Time Zone): 4m

If there are national broadcasts, they will be of the leaves, and they will be on at 4pm. Forever and ever, amen, no matter who has the rights.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

darren wrote:For those who aren't familiar with territory east of the Rockies.

If there are national broadcasts, they will be of the leaves, and they will be on at 4pm. Forever and ever, amen, no matter who has the rights.
Population of quebec: 8m
Population of ottawa: 900k
Population of alberta: 3.6m

Even though location doesn't perfectly align with allegiance, there's an argument that having national games always being with the leaves is short-sighted (potentially missing on a fan base drawn from 16m people). If you're never bringing them the content they want, they'll never watch the show. Its keeping the hockey pie artificially small and effectively turning a national broadcast into a regional one. Frankly it's a bit of a waste.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:Anyone concerned about the ideological bent of CBC ought to consider the assets of Bell Media:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_as ... Bell_Media

Or Rogers Communications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_as ... unications

Oh, and Shaw/Chorus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_as ... unications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_as ... ertainment

At least the (highly imperfect) CBC is not legally required to produce profits for the shareholders in its operation. Nor does it suffer from the intense vertical integration of the large media companies in this country (i.e. the CBC does not own the lines, the channel and the programing (and the hockey team)).

Just to be clear, I'm not a big HNIC guy. But, I can see the value in HNIC staying with the national public broadcaster. I mean heck, Rogers and Bell OWN the leaves.
A coin has two sides. Since CBC is not legally required to produce profits, they care less about what their audiences like. They just do whatever the stupid directors like, who might be leaves fans to begin with... On the other hand, TSN and Sportsnet need to make a profit by broadcasting the most profitable programming, they will do what their audiences like. If leaves games are more profitable in the East, I care less they broadcast them 24 hours a day. It would be hard to imagine that the leaves games will generate the same interest as a local team like the Canucks or the Flames in the West. Even if so, that is at least market driven decision instead of some idiots sitting in the Toronto office making the calls for everyone else in the West.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote: Because there has never been any problems with market driven decision-making...anyways the CBC still have to try to turn a profit they just aren't under threat of law suit if they don't.

My concern is more that you won't hear a peep about the Canucks except for game time, because it simply isn't good for business and I don't mean business in the general sense, I mean business in the sense that both SN and TSN's parent companies own a portion of the leaves/Raptors.

Also, it certain would raise the odd eyebrow when you consider the weight CBC (and other TV networks) currently have when it comes to scheduling. Imagine if the owners of the leaves having even more say when it comes to the schedule and how favourable it may be for certain teams.
Let me put it this way, I would not mind seeing more Murphy, Shorthouse and Garret than MacLean and Cherry. I do not care they broadcast zero Canucks games everywhere else besides BC. However, I do care they broadcast the stupid leaves OT or shootouts over a Canucks game.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

darren wrote:For those who aren't familiar with territory east of the Rockies.

Compare that to the NFL Model:
NFL's Most Valuable Franchises
1. Dallas
2. New England
3. Redskins
4. NY Giants
9. San Francisco
10. Green Bay

All-Time most Monday Night Football Games:
1. Miami - 76 GP
2. Dallas - 72 GP
3. San Francisco - 69 GP
9. Green Bay - 57 GP
13. New England - 44 GP

Since 2010, Dallas has had 1 MNF game per season. As has Green Bay. The Steelers (14th most valuable) has the same. The New Orleans Saints have had 4 MNF games the past 3 years, and is the 23rd most valuable franchise.

Giving preeminence to the largest/most valuable franchise is not necessary, as the NFL has demonstrated. I believe it is detrimental to the growth of the game, because the best players/best teams/best on-ice product doesn't get showcased, but shitty leaves teams are rammed down everyone's throats, in spite of being the most futile franchise of the last decade (currently holders of the 5th-longest post-season drought, though Edmonton should change that this year).
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Highly doubt HNIC leaves CBC, and if it does it sure as fuck ain't going to Sportsnet.

As douchey as CBC had become, it's a tradition and I doubt it would be any better on TSN.

Now normally for matters of this import I would wait for Hockeygal to weigh in before I'd comment, but she's been conspicuously absent since she got really angry with us and Arachnid went on vacation.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:Highly doubt HNIC leaves CBC, and if it does it sure as fuck ain't going to Sportsnet.

As douchey as CBC had become, it's a tradition and I doubt it would be any better on TSN.

Now normally for matters of this import I would wait for Hockeygal to weigh in before I'd comment, but she's been conspicuously absent since she got really angry with us and Arachnid went on vacation.
Did widow get pissed and I missed it??

If the only prime minister from western Canada who is also a fucktard wasn't in charge I would agree with you. But the way the conservatives are trying to gut and get rid of the CBC, I'm not so sure.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Hockeygal.... Arachnid
:look:

psst UK: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20528
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Hockeygal.... Arachnid
:look:

psst UK: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20528
positive...and...helpful....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Thanks Doc,
talk about blink and you miss it...
2 whole posts, one of which is a pee puddle about language and that's it??

That's 50 percent bitch and 50 percent stupid.

Kind of makes me sorry for Mëds though, two posts and she matched his output :)

Edit glad rummy wasn't talking about the widow..