HNIC may leave CBC :)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by sagebrush »

Mar 26, 2007: The CBC and the NHL announced a new television deal Monday that will keep Hockey Night in Canada on the air until 2014. :(

Aug 02, 2013: NHL TV rights could finally be slipping away from CBC. :)

Bye bye Ron MacLean, Don Cherry, Scott Oake, PJ Stock, & K Weeks? (although KW, aka Erkel, is kinda funny)
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: HNIC may leave CBC :)

Post by the Dogsalmon »

In the last 20 years the CBC has become a pimple on the ass of society. Its not the unbiased media platform that R.B Bennett envisioned.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wonder where HNIC will eventually go to?

Most likely Sportsnet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good, time for a change.

Tired of watching MacLean going on tangents anytime someone criticizes his beloved refs.

His time is done and we will be a better place for that.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

The end of MacLean and his eastern biasis cant come soon enough.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

If it means they put Cherry out to pasture, be worth it.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Boston Canucker wrote:If it means they put Cherry out to pasture, be worth it.
Does it mean that we don't have to watch those pathetic leaves overtime and shootouts any more??? :mrgreen:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's hoping!

I've hated CBC for years. When they dumped the classic anthem because they didn't want to pay for it after it had become so synonymous with hockey in Canada and almost functioned as an advertisement for CBC for half a century.....that was the final straw for me. Their political views and obvious attempts to undermine any party that wasn't sitting left of center left a bad taste.

I'll be glad when they lose their NHL rights.

The only thing I'll miss will be Cherry. I love Coach's Corner. It's pure entertainment, I even don't mind MacLean on there (outside of his work with Grapes I think he's useless though). While I think Cherry is a bit of a blowhard at times, you have to respect his willingness to stick to his guns on issues he thinks are important, and his treatment of families and young players, particularly in times of tragedy, is absolutely first rate. No other network that I can think of pays attention to every day people the way CBC does.....and I suspect that Cherry has a LOT to do with that.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:Here's hoping!
The only thing I'll miss will be Cherry. I love Coach's Corner. It's pure entertainment, I even don't mind MacLean on there (outside of his work with Grapes I think he's useless though). While I think Cherry is a bit of a blowhard at times, you have to respect his willingness to stick to his guns on issues he thinks are important, and his treatment of families and young players, particularly in times of tragedy, is absolutely first rate. No other network that I can think of pays attention to every day people the way CBC does.....and I suspect that Cherry has a LOT to do with that.
He is a very stubborn old man...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Why does everyone think that it'll be the last we see of HNIC personalities once the NHL is gone?

Several of them will definitely get jobs with TSN/SN once they pick up the rights.

The best part will be the quality of the broadcasts will increase substantially and we'll get better regional coverage and likely have more options than the Laughs at 4:00 on Saturday.

There's no way CBC can hang on to the majority of the HNIC crew once they lose the rights.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Aaronp18 wrote:Why does everyone think that it'll be the last we see of HNIC personalities once the NHL is gone?

Several of them will definitely get jobs with TSN/SN once they pick up the rights.

The best part will be the quality of the broadcasts will increase substantially and we'll get better regional coverage and likely have more options than the Laughs at 4:00 on Saturday.

There's no way CBC can hang on to the majority of the HNIC crew once they lose the rights.
Hopefully, Jim comes back west for the Canucks games. And, hopefully, the few good crew members replace the homers that TSN has, and overall, the quality goes up. TSN has some talent, but also has a lot of deadwood.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Aaronp18 wrote:Why does everyone think that it'll be the last we see of HNIC personalities once the NHL is gone?
Why does everyone think that it'll be the last we see of an eastern bias?

At least Sportsnet is regional in approach, but do you think TSN is going to be any better then CBC in containing their Leaf fandom? We already know they're not. It's only going to get worst if they pick up the rights to Leaf games on Saturdays.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BurningBeard wrote:
Why does everyone think that it'll be the last we see of an eastern bias?

At least Sportsnet is regional in approach, but do you think TSN is going to be any better then CBC in containing their Leaf fandom? We already know they're not. It's only going to get worst if they pick up the rights to Leaf games on Saturdays.
True, that's why I would rather Sportsnet taking over HNIC instead of Toronto Sports Network...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BurningBeard wrote: At least Sportsnet is regional in approach, but do you think TSN is going to be any better then CBC in containing their Leaf fandom? We already know they're not. It's only going to get worst if they pick up the rights to Leaf games on Saturdays.
I think if TSN gets HNIC we will see more regional broadcasts like SportsNet. They already have TSN2, whats another channel or two if CBC is completely out of the hockey game.

Playoffs will be huge for them and being able to show everything until the Cup finals finally will bring massive revenue.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

There was an odd CBC political/propaganda commercial during the football game yesterday. I wasn't really paying attention... anyone know what it was about?

Oh wait... none of you fuckers watch the CFL...
2011..... the one that got away.