The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by dbr »

I'd rather have Alberts at half the salary and term than Murray, Murray might be significantly tougher than Alberts (which would be nice don't get me wrong) but he is not significantly better.

Anyway I doubt a guy sitting by the phone in late July is really going to command a medium/long term deal from anyone at this point, so I don't think Murray gets a deal like that (mayybe $2m for one year) although I guess there's no underestimating the prudence of the GMs building their teams via free agency.

I would take Murray at under $2m on a one year deal and let Chris Tanev do all the skating and passing with him on the third pairing.. ride the top four 22+ minutes each and let the third pairing crush fifteen soft minutes a night..

But Dougie would still be our sixth best defenseman, and well back of fifth.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Canuck-One wrote: Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side.
I just checked and you're right, he can't play the right side.

At all.

Damn, for some reason I thought he played the RS a fair amount.

Must've got him mixed up with someone else.

Oh well, back to the drawing board....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Canuck-One wrote: Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side.

At all.

So put him with Garrison, a lefty who can play the right side.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Murray-Garrison
Weber

The second pairing is fairly balanced providing Edler doesn't completely fall apart and Tanev continues his progression towards becoming a good, positionally sound, and smart, defensive guy.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

OK.. put me in the 1/2 empty camp..and the booze has been watered down :)
No reason to think this team will be better than last years and a lot of reasons we won't do as well..
Sedins... another year older and probably in decline..
A midget centering the 3rd line ( probably took lessons from D Roy ) :(
A weak D that isn't better than last years..
Less isn't more in goaltending .. no assurance that Luongo will do better than last year
2 teams that whipped our butts in the last 2 playoffs just joined "our" division..

Don't plan the parade..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:

At all.

Hell no! Murray is perfectly suited for the bottom pairing left side so he can play beside Tanev or Corrado, if Tanev sits out the season in hopes of getting $2M per. :P

Garrison has to be brute forced to play on the right side of Edler.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tiger wrote:OK.. put me in the 1/2 empty camp..
No shit? :lol:

From this thread alone:
Tiger wrote: I seem to remember the last time we got a coach from the Rangers.. ? :(...didn't quite work out ..
Tiger wrote:Well other than the Sharks this year .. the Kings last year .. the Bruins in 2011 and Chicago 2010 maybe they have been solid defensively ? :D
And some gems from around the board..
Tiger wrote: I'd call it "bad drugs" doc.. we will be extremely lucky if we win the division
Maybe we make the playoffs because of weaker teams like Calgary but even that is not a cinch bet..
Tiger wrote:Hopefully they won't be our #1 line after this season.,.
Predictions for 3 centers ( all soft players all poor defensively )
H Sedin... 70 pts..and more penalty minutes
CoHo.... 60 ...
Gagner ... 70 pts ...

Ooops this is far off topic !! so . goaltender predictions..
Schneider ... top 5
Luongo .. doesn't make the top 10..
Tiger wrote:He [Tortorella] took on a losing proposition ... a No Win situation

About the only thing to be excited about this season is going to be the press conferences when Torts finally loses his cool..
Tiger wrote:Goodbye to the upcoming season..
Tell us how you really feel.

At this rate, soon you're going to be telling us that the Canucks couldn't even score with a Thai prostitute and a pocket full of cash..
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Tciso wrote:
SKYO wrote: Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.
Hmmm, a big mook that can clear the crease during defensive zone face offs, and the last minute of the 3rd period when we are up by a goal. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd take him as our 6th defenseman, and swap him in and out with Corrado, if Corrado earns the 7th spot in the line up. But, what is he asking for $$ wise??
If Corrado "earns" the 7th spot in the lineup then he's also earned a ticket to the AHL. It's stupid to have a kid with no pro experience sitting in the press box when he could be leading the Comets' blue line.
I do agree with you that Corrado needs to play. But, swapping him with Murray gives him 40 games, and gives us Murray for the Calgary/other homer team games. Plus Corrado gets sent down when we have a light schedule (Olympics) and other breaks, and plays more NHL games when we have injuries.

Heck, given that we have used 13 defensemen in previous years, it is a safe bet that the #7 guy will get his fair share of games just as an injury replacement.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

dbr wrote:
Tiger wrote:OK.. put me in the 1/2 empty camp..
No shit? :lol:

From this thread alone:
Tiger wrote: I seem to remember the last time we got a coach from the Rangers.. ? :(...didn't quite work out ..
Tiger wrote:Well other than the Sharks this year .. the Kings last year .. the Bruins in 2011 and Chicago 2010 maybe they have been solid defensively ? :D
And some gems from around the board..
Tiger wrote: I'd call it "bad drugs" doc.. we will be extremely lucky if we win the division
Maybe we make the playoffs because of weaker teams like Calgary but even that is not a cinch bet..
Tiger wrote:Hopefully they won't be our #1 line after this season.,.
Predictions for 3 centers ( all soft players all poor defensively )
H Sedin... 70 pts..and more penalty minutes
CoHo.... 60 ...
Gagner ... 70 pts ...

Ooops this is far off topic !! so . goaltender predictions..
Schneider ... top 5
Luongo .. doesn't make the top 10..
Tiger wrote:He [Tortorella] took on a losing proposition ... a No Win situation

About the only thing to be excited about this season is going to be the press conferences when Torts finally loses his cool..
Tiger wrote:Goodbye to the upcoming season..
Tell us how you really feel.

At this rate, soon you're going to be telling us that the Canucks couldn't even score with a Thai prostitute and a pocket full of cash..
hmm dbr.. did a hooker turn you down? ..
So I still stand by my posts.. Maybe if you put the whole sentences in they might make a bit more sense .. but on the other hand you have said nothing to refute my opinions .I am not terribly upset with the prospect of a worse season than last year as it is part of a rebuilding cycle. Hopefully some of the young guns will learn a bit more and look good by the end of the season.. So ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Tiger wrote: hmm dbr.. did a hooker turn you down? ..
So I still stand by my posts.. Maybe if you put the whole sentences in they might make a bit more sense .. but on the other hand you have said nothing to refute my opinions .I am not terribly upset with the prospect of a worse season than last year as it is part of a rebuilding cycle. Hopefully some of the young guns will learn a bit more and look good by the end of the season.. So ?
*LOL* Yeah, I dunno what's with some of the posters here, post something that contradicts their views and they freak out. :lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If Torts plays the kids then I am happy, this team is still very good and will make the playoffs.

What can set this team over the edge is if Kassian can get 40 points and play a little more power forward.

I also really want to see the D get the green light to take more risks and get the points.

Again if this happens then I can see a lot of positive if not then hang MG from the tallest rafter.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tiger wrote: hmm dbr.. did a hooker turn you down? ..
No Tiger, I've never had occasion to get turned down by a whore, I just figured since you're in Thailand I'd use an analogy you can probably relate to.
Well you'll notice I didn't really say a single thing about hockey in my post.

My point was more to point out the amusement value in the fact that you've been bemoaning virtually everything about the team all over the board for weeks, even in this very thread, and then came in to offer up "uhh yeah, so you guys can count me as a pessimist" :lol:

Hell you might be right about everything, I don't personally think so but that's neither here nor there, it's still funny as shit that you think anyone (or in fairness, anyone who reads your posts) has any doubt as to which side of the line you're on..
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:*LOL* Yeah, I dunno what's with some of the posters here, post something that contradicts their views and they freak out. :lol:
Nobody's freaking out here, Todd... although I have to admit the chinese water torture-like quality of your steady stream of misspellings, intentional and otherwise, might make me snap one day :crazy:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Okay, what about Ryan O'Byrne as our #6?

Huge, right hand shot, BC boy, kills penalties and opposing players. :mex:

ROB is an SOB.

Thoughts?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doc has a long infatuation with ex leaves...........goes back to Sitler and Parent
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I hated him for the 3 months he was a Leaf. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Until Tanev is signed I don't see MG doing anything else.
The only HW the Canucks need