The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Postby Tciso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:41 pm

SKYO wrote:Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.

Hmmm, a big mook that can clear the crease during defensive zone face offs, and the last minute of the 3rd period when we are up by a goal. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd take him as our 6th defenseman, and swap him in and out with Corrado, if Corrado earns the 7th spot in the line up. But, what is he asking for $$ wise??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Tciso wrote:
SKYO wrote:Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.

Hmmm, a big mook that can clear the crease during defensive zone face offs, and the last minute of the 3rd period when we are up by a goal. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd take him as our 6th defenseman, and swap him in and out with Corrado, if Corrado earns the 7th spot in the line up. But, what is he asking for $$ wise??

If Corrado "earns" the 7th spot in the lineup then he's also earned a ticket to the AHL. It's stupid to have a kid with no pro experience sitting in the press box when he could be leading the Comets' blue line.
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Tciso wrote:

His last contract was $2.5m. It's been a month and he is still not signed. As a 33-years old veteran, I believe that he is looking for a minimum 3-years deal. I am not quite sure a $7m for 3-yrs contract is enough.

Edler Murray
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
(Weber)

That is a pretty solid top six. Weber could slot in as a 7th defenseman.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:38 pm

A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

I don't know which is worse..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 pm

dbr wrote:A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

Personally I'd have him see 3rd pairing minutes, albeit with decent PK time.

Yes he's slow but that's why we get him at ~$2mil per... and hey we NEED an asshole.

I'm not afraid of a 3-year-deal @ $2mil per.

If needs-be it's easily bought out as the salary-cap increases...

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm

dbr wrote:A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

Looking at the pairings, there are no clear cut No.1. One can argue that Hamhuis and Bieksa is the1st pairing. With Garrison and Tanev as another pair, I could see all three pairings eat up equal minutes.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Boston Canucker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 pm

If Wade Redden is healthy (not sure that he is), he might come cheap. I believe his off-season home is Kelowna, so might have an interest in being in Vancouver. If you can get him for 1 mill, and have him as a 5-8 slotted D-man, could be worth the gamble, minimum gamble at that. Before getting injured in the Leafs series, Redden was fine during the reg season and first round. He's not a top 4 guy, so it shifts things around, but he's smart, capable, experienced...hey, if we're talking 3 years for Murray, I'd rather go one year for Redden and see how the younger D men develop...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:If Wade Redden is healthy (not sure that he is), he might come cheap. I believe his off-season home is Kelowna, so might have an interest in being in Vancouver. If you can get him for 1 mill, and have him as a 5-8 slotted D-man, could be worth the gamble, minimum gamble at that. Before getting injured in the Leafs series, Redden was fine during the reg season and first round. He's not a top 4 guy, so it shifts things around, but he's smart, capable, experienced...hey, if we're talking 3 years for Murray, I'd rather go one year for Redden and see how the younger D men develop...

I thought the Canucks need more assholes, not another softie. As for the younger D men, I don't see any D prospects that has a similar style to Murray.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Canuck-One » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side. So far we have:

Left
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler

Right
Bieksa
Tanev
Corrado
Weber
Canuck-One
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 pm

I'd rather have Alberts at half the salary and term than Murray, Murray might be significantly tougher than Alberts (which would be nice don't get me wrong) but he is not significantly better.

Anyway I doubt a guy sitting by the phone in late July is really going to command a medium/long term deal from anyone at this point, so I don't think Murray gets a deal like that (mayybe $2m for one year) although I guess there's no underestimating the prudence of the GMs building their teams via free agency.

I would take Murray at under $2m on a one year deal and let Chris Tanev do all the skating and passing with him on the third pairing.. ride the top four 22+ minutes each and let the third pairing crush fifteen soft minutes a night..

But Dougie would still be our sixth best defenseman, and well back of fifth.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Canuck-One wrote:Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side.

I just checked and you're right, he can't play the right side.

At all.

Damn, for some reason I thought he played the RS a fair amount.

Must've got him mixed up with someone else.

Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side.

At all.

So put him with Garrison, a lefty who can play the right side.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Murray-Garrison
Weber

The second pairing is fairly balanced providing Edler doesn't completely fall apart and Tanev continues his progression towards becoming a good, positionally sound, and smart, defensive guy.
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tiger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:41 pm

OK.. put me in the 1/2 empty camp..and the booze has been watered down :)
No reason to think this team will be better than last years and a lot of reasons we won't do as well..
Sedins... another year older and probably in decline..
A midget centering the 3rd line ( probably took lessons from D Roy ) :(
A weak D that isn't better than last years..
Less isn't more in goaltending .. no assurance that Luongo will do better than last year
2 teams that whipped our butts in the last 2 playoffs just joined "our" division..

Don't plan the parade..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 am

Strangelove wrote:

At all.

Hell no! Murray is perfectly suited for the bottom pairing left side so he can play beside Tanev or Corrado, if Tanev sits out the season in hopes of getting $2M per. :P

Garrison has to be brute forced to play on the right side of Edler.
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 am

Tiger wrote:OK.. put me in the 1/2 empty camp..

No shit? :lol:

From this thread alone:

Tiger wrote: I seem to remember the last time we got a coach from the Rangers.. ? :(...didn't quite work out ..

Tiger wrote:Well other than the Sharks this year .. the Kings last year .. the Bruins in 2011 and Chicago 2010 maybe they have been solid defensively ? :D

And some gems from around the board..

Tiger wrote: I'd call it "bad drugs" doc.. we will be extremely lucky if we win the division
Maybe we make the playoffs because of weaker teams like Calgary but even that is not a cinch bet..

Tiger wrote:Hopefully they won't be our #1 line after this season.,.
Predictions for 3 centers ( all soft players all poor defensively )
H Sedin... 70 pts..and more penalty minutes
CoHo.... 60 ...
Gagner ... 70 pts ...

Ooops this is far off topic !! so . goaltender predictions..
Schneider ... top 5
Luongo .. doesn't make the top 10..

Tiger wrote:He [Tortorella] took on a losing proposition ... a No Win situation

About the only thing to be excited about this season is going to be the press conferences when Torts finally loses his cool..

Tiger wrote:Goodbye to the upcoming season..

Tell us how you really feel.

At this rate, soon you're going to be telling us that the Canucks couldn't even score with a Thai prostitute and a pocket full of cash..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat