The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by Jovocop »

FAN wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Murray would simply make the backend a lot bigger and nastier... As slow as Murray is, I would still take him over Albert or Fistric. Edler and Murray would be a perfect marriage. Two big guys who can hit hard. One brings offense and the other brings solid defense.
Sounds good on paper, but teams might be able to skate circles around that pairing.
Edler is a pretty good skater. Murray is a pylon but he is a huge pylon. It takes a bit of time to skate around him... ;)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:Image
Pretty much! :D
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

FAN wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Murray would simply make the backend a lot bigger and nastier... As slow as Murray is, I would still take him over Albert or Fistric. Edler and Murray would be a perfect marriage. Two big guys who can hit hard. One brings offense and the other brings solid defense.
Sounds good on paper, but teams might be able to skate circles around that pairing.
The Canucks have a very mobile group of defensemen but a little bit to the small size, except Edler. Adding a guy like Murray should not affect the overall speed of the group but definitely make the team a lot tougher to play against. The only challenges are whether Murray wants to be a Canuck and how much he wants.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Regardless of whether the glass is half empty or half full, the moves, or lack of moves, that Gillis has made this offseason are certainly more confidence inspiring than those made by Jay Feaster or Dave Nonis.

If nothing else, subscribing to a little schadenfreude helps somewhat.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:
FAN wrote:
The Canucks have a very mobile group of defensemen but a little bit to the small size, except Edler. Adding a guy like Murray should not affect the overall speed of the group but definitely make the team a lot tougher to play against. The only challenges are whether Murray wants to be a Canuck and how much he wants.
Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.
Hmmm, a big mook that can clear the crease during defensive zone face offs, and the last minute of the 3rd period when we are up by a goal. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd take him as our 6th defenseman, and swap him in and out with Corrado, if Corrado earns the 7th spot in the line up. But, what is he asking for $$ wise??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote:
SKYO wrote: Yup, especially around the net we have zero big crease clearers, team has some gritty dmen but they all definitely lack the size to battle with some of the big men in the league, in the playoffs this is even more prevalent.
Hmmm, a big mook that can clear the crease during defensive zone face offs, and the last minute of the 3rd period when we are up by a goal. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'd take him as our 6th defenseman, and swap him in and out with Corrado, if Corrado earns the 7th spot in the line up. But, what is he asking for $$ wise??
If Corrado "earns" the 7th spot in the lineup then he's also earned a ticket to the AHL. It's stupid to have a kid with no pro experience sitting in the press box when he could be leading the Comets' blue line.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:

His last contract was $2.5m. It's been a month and he is still not signed. As a 33-years old veteran, I believe that he is looking for a minimum 3-years deal. I am not quite sure a $7m for 3-yrs contract is enough.

Edler Murray
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
(Weber)

That is a pretty solid top six. Weber could slot in as a 7th defenseman.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

I don't know which is worse..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

Personally I'd have him see 3rd pairing minutes, albeit with decent PK time.

Yes he's slow but that's why we get him at ~$2mil per... and hey we NEED an asshole.

I'm not afraid of a 3-year-deal @ $2mil per.

If needs-be it's easily bought out as the salary-cap increases...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:A three year contract for Doug Murray and he's on our top pairing? :shock:

Looking at the pairings, there are no clear cut No.1. One can argue that Hamhuis and Bieksa is the1st pairing. With Garrison and Tanev as another pair, I could see all three pairings eat up equal minutes.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

If Wade Redden is healthy (not sure that he is), he might come cheap. I believe his off-season home is Kelowna, so might have an interest in being in Vancouver. If you can get him for 1 mill, and have him as a 5-8 slotted D-man, could be worth the gamble, minimum gamble at that. Before getting injured in the leaves series, Redden was fine during the reg season and first round. He's not a top 4 guy, so it shifts things around, but he's smart, capable, experienced...hey, if we're talking 3 years for Murray, I'd rather go one year for Redden and see how the younger D men develop...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Boston Canucker wrote:If Wade Redden is healthy (not sure that he is), he might come cheap. I believe his off-season home is Kelowna, so might have an interest in being in Vancouver. If you can get him for 1 mill, and have him as a 5-8 slotted D-man, could be worth the gamble, minimum gamble at that. Before getting injured in the leaves series, Redden was fine during the reg season and first round. He's not a top 4 guy, so it shifts things around, but he's smart, capable, experienced...hey, if we're talking 3 years for Murray, I'd rather go one year for Redden and see how the younger D men develop...
I thought the Canucks need more assholes, not another softie. As for the younger D men, I don't see any D prospects that has a similar style to Murray.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Murray is a lefty and he won't be able to play with Edler unless he can play the right side. So far we have:

Left
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler

Right
Bieksa
Tanev
Corrado
Weber