Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Strangelove wrote: Looking over their lineup I have convinced myself the Leaves are going to completely SUCK this year.
Hmm. Looks to me like they're going to do better than the Canucks this year.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Tiger wrote:so , I am a generation older than you and Doc RD.. and remember the Zoot Suit riots . East end against west .. led by the "Commercial gang but including all the street gangs in the East end fighting the West end led by the Alma Dukes.. Hockey connection ? John Ferguson age about 14.. 15 from east hastings was part of the "gang" was a rink rat and a good lacrosse player ..
all wearing "Strides" or "Drape pants" black denims made by On Wo or Modernize tailors on Pender street.. No chinese involved.. The big connection was Joe Filippone.. who sponsored boxing in the East End.. I was just old enough to get in trouble ;).. and made the best "zipguns" in my dads basement :)..
In my minds eye, I can see it now...

Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Time to get back on topic..... there's gotta be something going on in the hockey world.

Remember we have a Bar and Grill for non-hockey talk...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I was editing my post when it was deleted to add that the Leaves continue their plunge to cap hell trying to sign the unwashed by nailing down Fraser.

Sharks sign Pavelski at $5mil/6yrs
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mark Fraser contract appears to be 1-way worth $1.275. Heck of a lot of money for a guy that you likely want as a #8.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

darren wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Looking over their lineup I have convinced myself the Leaves are going to completely SUCK this year.
The Leaves have lost a lot of depth!

FORWARDS:

Replacing MacArthur + Grabovski with Clarkson + Bolland is a minor upgrade

... but they lost important depth players Komarov + Frattin (13-14 MPG)

... planning to fill the void with rookies like Colborne/Ashton/D'Amigo? ... career AHLer Smith? Image

DEFENSE:

Okay, I just figured out they're gonna buyout Liles within the next 48 ours (window after Fraser signing).

That will give them the cash they need to re-sign Kadri + Franson with not much left over.

Liles (I'm assuming he's gone) is overpaid but he provided top-4 minutes when needed.

Kostka is gone, he provided 22 MPG... even if he *was* benched for 13 games.

O'Byrne is gone, a solid depth dee.

Komisarek, obviously WAY overpaid but has always been available to call up from the Marlies as injury insurance.

Gone.

So who replaces those guys?

Gardiner looks like a solid young player but a rookie who they pretty much HAVE to play in the top-4 all year.

Ranger is a headcase who returns to the NHL after a 4 year year sabbatical (is he still an NHLer?)

I see they signed journeyman Brennan to a one-way deal after Florida cut him loose.

And they still have desperation-time Holzer.

(Morgan Rielly needs another year in juniors IMPO)

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser – Ranger
Brennan – Holzer

Hmmm only Franson + Holzer are RHS.

Gardiner and Franson have yet to prove they can play in the top-4 for an entire year

(I admit I have faith in them, but hey you never know).

Ranger, like I say could flame-out.... or have another meltdown. :eh:

If any one of Fraser/Brennan/Holzer are called upon to fill in Top 4 for any length of time they're hooped.

So yeah, they've lost a lot of depth on both offense and defense = a few good injuries: Fuggetaboutit.

GOALTENDING:

They're not going to get better goaltending than they did last season - Bernier or no Bernier.

Reimer/Scrivens were 9th in save percentage (even if it was a fluke in a shortened season).

LUCK FACTOR:

Speaking of fluky and last season, they are not likely to repeat that run of ridiculously good luck.

Worst shot differential in the league?

Horrible possession numbers?

And they STILL make they playoffs?? :crazy:

Being number one in shooting percentage saved them - NOT going to happen again.

Saaaay... you're not some kind of Leaf-loving Leiweke-koolaid-swilling sickoid are ya Darren? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tiger wrote:RD said :
Doc

so , I am a generation older than you and Doc RD.. and remember the Zoot Suit riots . East end against west .. led by the "Commercial gang but including all the street gangs in the East end fighting the West end led by the Alma Dukes.. Hockey connection ? John Ferguson age about 14.. 15 from east hastings was part of the "gang" was a rink rat and a good lacrosse player ..
all wearing "Strides" or "Drape pants" black denims made by On Wo or Modernize tailors on Pender street.. No chinese involved.. The big connection was Joe Filippone.. who sponsored boxing in the East End.. I was just old enough to get in trouble ;).. and made the best "zipguns" in my dads basement :)..
Interesting story. Never heard that about Joe Filippone. The Filippone's of Joe's generation were friends with me grandad and that generation of my family. Jim Filippone, Joe's Brother was a close friend of my grandfather. My old man used to box at the Astoria there on Hastings, down in the basement where the likes of Dale Walters trained. Don't recall him ever talking about Joe promoting boxers though.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

RD said :
Jim Filippone, Joe's Brother was a close friend of my grandfather. My old man used to box at the Astoria there on Hastings, down in the basement where the likes of Dale Walters trained.
Jim won the golden gloves in 41.. then ran Eagle time delivery and Diamond taxi ( yep good bootleg booze ) they opened up Eagle time boxing club in the basement of the "offices" before the Penthouse was open on the same site.. they helped a lot of young kids in sports , mainly boxing at that time and then opened a boxing club on Commercial ( I forget the name ).. ok hockey related? Penthouse Club.. home away from home for visiting hockey teams ;) . I met Stan Makita there .. the night before they were playing the Canucks ( maybe 71 ? ) .. They went out and beat the Canucks next night .. :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Strangelove wrote:
darren wrote:

So yeah, they've lost a lot of depth on both offense and defense = a few good injuries: Fuggetaboutit.

Saaaay... you're not some kind of Leaf-loving Leiweke-koolaid-swilling sickoid are ya Darren? :mrgreen:
That was a pessimistic view of the leaves...maybe accurate....Would you be willing to conduct a similar analysis of our Vancouver Canucks? Goaltending and defensive depth? Players added and subtracted? Age? Prediliction for injury? Results last year? Those are topics we should best avoid. I stand by my prediction... the leaves do better than the Canucks this year.

I'm not a Leaf fan trolling if that's what you're asking :shock: I've been cheering for the Canucks since their first line was Dan Quinn between Linden and somebody-or-other Capuano. But I'm not a Leaf-hater as a general extension of being a Toronto hater either (I live here after all). If the leaves do well and the Canucks do poorly I will quite happily jump on their bandwagon... and I confess I will enjoy the wails of anguish coming from this board.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

darren wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
darren wrote:
Looking over their lineup I have convinced myself the Leaves are going to completely SUCK this year.

That was a pessimistic view of the leaves...maybe accurate....Would you be willing to conduct a similar analysis of our Vancouver Canucks? Goaltending and defensive depth? Players added and subtracted? Age? Prediliction for injury? Results last year? Those are topics we should best avoid. I stand by my prediction... the leaves do better than the Canucks this year.

I'm not a Leaf fan trolling if that's what you're asking :shock: I've been cheering for the Canucks since their first line was Dan Quinn between Linden and somebody-or-other Capuano. But I'm not a Leaf-hater as a general extension of being a Toronto hater either (I live here after all). If the leaves do well and the Canucks do poorly I will quite happily jump on their bandwagon... and I confess I will enjoy the wails of anguish coming from this board.[/quote]

Not a Leaf fan but I look forward to the Canucks sucking and the leaves doing well......ok, not a Leaf fan.

I've lived in Toronto for 12 years and I still cheer for the Nucks only, thou im not a Leaf hater either. If you think the leaves will be better than the Nucksthismyear you've definitely been smoking some of BC's finest, because they just aren't a good team.

I still laugh at everyone thinking doom and gloom for the Nucks, so much so that the worst team to make the playoffs (statistically speaking) since 2003 is going to be better than them. Good luck with that one.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Interesting, a reasonably cap hit for veteran depth.
Florida Panthers ‏@FlaPanthers
#FlaPanthers have signed center Scott Gomez to a one-year contract. READ RELEASE: http://ow.ly/nvhCP

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Scott Gomez gets 900k for on 1 year deal from #Panthers.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

darren wrote:That was a pessimistic view of the leaves...maybe accurate....Would you be willing to conduct a similar analysis of our Vancouver Canucks? Goaltending and defensive depth? Players added and subtracted? Age? Prediliction for injury? Results last year? Those are topics we should best avoid. I stand by my prediction... the leaves do better than the Canucks this year.

I'm not a Leaf fan trolling if that's what you're asking :shock: I've been cheering for the Canucks since their first line was Dan Quinn between Linden and somebody-or-other Capuano. But I'm not a Leaf-hater as a general extension of being a Toronto hater either (I live here after all). If the leaves do well and the Canucks do poorly I will quite happily jump on their bandwagon... and I confess I will enjoy the wails of anguish coming from this board.
Merc. :roll:

Watch them ankles jumping between bandwagons.

...and Torontonians wonder why the rest of the country despises them, while the rest of the world largely ignores them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:Interesting, a reasonably cap hit for veteran depth.
#FlaPanthers have signed center Scott Gomez to a one-year contract. READ RELEASE: http://ow.ly/nvhCP

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Where players go to retire eventually.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

WHy not? Florida desperately needs some offense. Gomez will be a good 3rd liner for them for damned cheap. And, he'll likely have 3 or 4 dominating games throughout the year, where he shows flashes of his former self.

Jovocop wrote:Interesting, a reasonably cap hit for veteran depth.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!