Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Rumsfeld »

Booth isn't scoring at anywhere near that pace anymore and possesses virtually none of the intangibles to his game that Brown does. If you take away his one good season in Florida his numbers look a lot shittier.

That said he's worthnothing right now and I have hopes he'll come to camp healthy and have a strong season. Where to play him though? He and Kesler have been terrible together and he's not exactly checking line material.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Rumsfeld wrote:Where to play him though? He and Kesler have been terrible together and he's not exactly checking line material.
I'm pretty sure Torts has him playing in the press box. It's make it or break it time.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote:Beware of the yellow snow!
Yup. Most teams use water to make ice, but these guys seem to be "marking their territory".
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Rumsfeld wrote:That said he's worthnothing right now and I have hopes he'll come to camp healthy and have a strong season. Where to play him though? He and Kesler have been terrible together and he's not exactly checking line material.
If you give any credence to advanced stats he is actually a positive influence on possession out there.. both in terms of his own numbers and in terms of his effect on other forwards playing with/without him (including Kesler).

I wouldn't put him out there shadowing Kopitar or anything like that but it would seem he can hold his own and keep things heading in the right direction.

Unfortunately he also seems to be one of those rare players that drives down shooting percentage when he's on the ice.

Anyway I don't really buy the idea that he can't play with Kesler, but if you were looking for another spot with him he might do well with a center like Jordan Schroeder in relatively soft matchups - physical presence, good territorial player, could benefit from a center who distributes well...

Who knows what the Canucks bottom six is going to look like but I think Booth has most of the right skills (some, not all) to be moved around to virtually any line and contribute there.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To me that is one of the keys with Booth, he needs a centre that will distribute the puck. Kesler can do that but he is more of a shoot first type of centre, and when his shot is on I have no problem with that. They did show glimpses of good chemistry and then Booth's injury problems began and they never seemed to get back to what appeared to be the makings of a good AMEX line. But playing with JS maybe a good fit for Booth.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:To me that is one of the keys with Booth, he needs a centre that will distribute the puck. Kesler can do that but he is more of a shoot first type of centre, and when his shot is on I have no problem with that. They did show glimpses of good chemistry and then Booth's injury problems began and they never seemed to get back to what appeared to be the makings of a good AMEX line. But playing with JS maybe a good fit for Booth.
That might be the only place he fits in, cuz if Kassian is with the twins, and Burr is with Kess and Higgins, our 3rd line will likely be Booth, JS and Hansen. If there is any chemistry, I like it a lot. But, a lot is riding on Kassian fitting with the twins, and Booth being able to fit in anywhere. I know Kassian can play with the twins, but for how long? His game fell off last season after he was demoted, and the rest of the league got their skating legs back. And, Booth has skills, but missed most of last season, and sucked during the games he was back. I don't hold that against Booth, as a lot of guys suck when coming back from injuries to the legs (groin and knees). Hopefully, he's 99% healthy this year.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Many have been in favour of dumping Booth for a bag of pucks due to his Twitter persona and contract. I would be fine moving Booth, but only if we bring in somebody who can bring more to the table than he can. Dumping him for the sake of dumping him makes no sense. He is overpaid, but not by an astronomical amount. He’s no Gomez, Komisarek or even Ballard. He is a useful player.

When Booth has been healthy here, he has scored at a 20+ goal pace, brought some physicality, he has “driven” play in the right direction and has been respectable defensively. He is a very good skater and a good forechecker. This team has traditionally been at its best when it implements an aggressive forecheck, and I think Booth can be a valuable piece in that.

The AMEX line was successful and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that unit reunited. Their Corsi rating, if you’re in to that sort of thing, was off the charts.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Booth and Kassian actually had some nice chemistry last season before Booth's annual season-ender. :scowl: It was one of the few times Kassian looked halfway decent last year outside of the first couple weeks of the season.

Maybe Torts could alternate Booth and Burrows on the Sedin and Kesler line to see if there's something worth exploring there. Man, does that second line ever need a playmaker though.*

*don't say Schroeder, I'll lose it
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Man, does that second line ever need a playmaker though.*

Yes it does. Too bad there wasn’t cap space and a vet like Demitra available.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:Booth and Kassian actually had some nice chemistry last season before Booth's annual season-ender. :scowl: It was one of the few times Kassian looked halfway decent last year outside of the first couple weeks of the season.

Maybe Torts could alternate Booth and Burrows on the Sedin and Kesler line to see if there's something worth exploring there. Man, does that second line ever need a playmaker though.*

SCHROEDER, SCHROEDER, SCHROEDER !!!

(waiting to hear Rummy's head explode)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Man, does that second line ever need a playmaker though.*

Yes it does. Too bad there wasn’t cap space and a vet like Demitra available.
The only decent option is Higgins, on a wing and a prayer that 2nd line of Booth-Kes-Higgins stay healthy though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Higgins is a third-liner. That's where he excels: checking and along the boards. He doesn't have the hands, the dishing ability or the shot to cut it up there and he's not getting any younger.

If Higgins is on your second line and you're healthy you're a pretty shallow team up front. I like Hansen and him flanking whoever centers the third line though.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote: SCHROEDER, SCHROEDER, SCHROEDER !!!

(waiting to hear Rummy's head explode)
That's ridiculous, why would my

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

things implode into a vacuum.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:Higgins is a third-liner. That's where he excels: checking and along the boards. He doesn't have the hands, the dishing ability or the shot to cut it up there and he's not getting any younger.

If Higgins is on your second line and you're healthy you're a pretty shallow team up front. I like Hansen and him flanking whoever centers the third line though.
Well we are a shallow team up front lol.

But it sounds like Torts wants Kass with the twins right off the bat and then re-unite Burr with RK full time, so yeah Higgins and Booth will fight it out for 2nd/3rd line LW duties.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.