Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:With only 5 million left in cap space and still needing to get Tanev and Weise under contract I don't think we will see the Canucks add much depth until those two deals are done. With our luck the arbitrator will award Dale 2.5 million and we can't walk away. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No No No i'm not saying he is anywhere near worth that, just with our luck we get a stupid arbitration award. :evil:
For some strange reasons, Weise reminds me a lot of Oreskovich. Two big guys that can skate and seems to have some skills but can never finish nor win a fight... I would rather trade him for a bag of pucks.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

We need somebody to fill that Alberts role. Whether or not it’s Alberts I don’t really care. Alberts was fine in the shortened season, but he has looked exposed at times. At 32 years old, I’m not sure how much room for improvement he has.

Personally, I’d take a shot at Fistric as that bottom pairing 5/6 guy. He has size, a mean streak and dishes out some punishing hits. He’s definitely a “defensive” defenseman and is capable of killing penalties. From some past articles I’ve read, apparently he can play the right side as well, which as we all know has been a weakness these past few years. He’s pretty much an ideal package for a third pairing guy.

Safe to assume filling out the bottom of the defensive depth chart is an August priority. Lots of UFAs still available
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Fistric is more physical but from what I've seen of him he's also worse at making reads and gap control, two things Alberts has impoved upon in the last couple seasons.

I'd be fine with either.

A back-up goalie is probably necessary as well, Lack is coming off a huge layoff.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Fistric is more physical but from what I've seen of him he's also worse at making reads and gap control, two things Alberts has impoved upon in the last couple seasons.

I'd be fine with either.

A back-up goalie is probably necessary as well, Lack is coming off a huge layoff.
I don’t know a whole lot about Fistric other than he is physical. He seems to have had some injuries that last little while as well, while Alberts has been durable.

I’m fine with Alberts, to be honest. It seemed this past year when he got into the lineup with more consistency that his play improved. Maybe it was confidence. He is huge, physical and sound defensively.

Is Joe Cannata finished at University? I could be wrong, but I thought he was listed as a senior last year. If so, that means we already have four pro goalies which would mean one of Lack or Eriksson will be Luongo’s backup.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah, what I saw of Fistric is that he's one of those guys who chases the hit and gets out of position, shitty foot speed etc.

That said, we need some guys who like to bang so it's a wash as far as I'm concerned. Alberts took years to figure out AV's system and now he'll be starting from scratch with Torts...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Also, with the Canucks looking to add a bottom pairing guy plus the aquisition of Weber, I think it's safe to say the Canucks are looking at Corrado to develop in the AHL this year and come up in case of injuries.... which is IMO an excellent decision. They should put the kid on the Gary Roberts summer meal plan while they're at it.

Edler Garrison
Bieksa Hamhuis
Tanev Alberts/Fistric -- Weber Corrado
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Agreed that is the correct decision regarding Corrado. Let him be the #1 in Utica, play loads of time on the PP and PK and he can be the first injury call up. I like what I’ve seen from the kid, but I’d like to see him play a ton.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:Is Joe Cannata finished at University? I could be wrong, but I thought he was listed as a senior last year. If so, that means we already have four pro goalies which would mean one of Lack or Eriksson will be Luongo’s backup.
Finished in 2012, last year was his first pro season.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:
herb wrote:Is Joe Cannata finished at University? I could be wrong, but I thought he was listed as a senior last year. If so, that means we already have four pro goalies which would mean one of Lack or Eriksson will be Luongo’s backup.
Finished in 2012, last year was his first pro season.
Which I infer means the Canucks are not signing another goalie unless one of Cannata, Lack or Eriksson is released or traded.

A veteran may be brought in on a PTO I guess.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Considering our situation, I'd say it's an incredibly risky propostion to have a totally inexperienced goaltender playing 20-30 games for your Vancouver Canucks.

That's a lot of points at stake... :crazy:

Give Lack a few games sure, and let Ericsson try his hand in the AHL, but man that would be pretty stupid to throw one of them in there with zero NHL experience. We've seen Luongo wear down before when he plays too many games.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:Also, with the Canucks looking to add a bottom pairing guy plus the aquisition of Weber, I think it's safe to say the Canucks are looking at Corrado to develop in the AHL this year and come up in case of injuries.... which is IMO an excellent decision. They should put the kid on the Gary Roberts summer meal plan while they're at it.

Edler Garrison
Bieksa Hamhuis
Tanev Alberts/Fistric -- Weber Corrado

Corrado played very well up here last season. I'd say give him at least 20 games at some point to get some more experience. He's young, but his games last season impressed a lot, and he has earned another serious look. But, I wouldn't want to rely on him for our #6. I am a fan of not bringing guys up too fast, and burning them out.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!