Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 pm

LOL

Nah I'm pretty sure that'll be vic on his first consensual date.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 pm

No Doc, that pic is from the first game of the season.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Topper wrote:No Doc, that pic is from the first game of the season.


Ah yes, the all-important first game of the regular season. Can he ever be forgiven? Time will tell.

It's more like what you guys will be doing when you realize valiant Rumsfeld was right, and fought the lonely good fight on this here message board despite overwhelming (though vastly inferior) odds.

Should happen, I dunno... around mid-April?
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I'm still convinced the idea of Cory having "panic attacks" is a nyth, much like Bigfoot or the female orgasm.

His first playoff game was intense and he cramped up. Maybe the pressure got to him a little, it happens to every player at some point in the NHL. Now we're throwing him under the bus for one game but Luongo gets a mulligan for multiple bed-shittings and a crappy regular season?

Ridiculous...

*thoughtfully watches meds chew on the couch*


What? Hey, c'mon.....it smells like pork rinds.

Strangelove wrote:Oh it's DAMN true!

*smacks Meds with rolled-up newspaper*


*shakes head*

Thanks Doc, needed the reset.

*pisses on passed out Rummy
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?

with a lousy press gallery that Vancouvers got ? Not much hope . and the first biggie will be .. Why aren't we winning games?
He will probably treat that one diplomatically ( Not good to blame the boss ya knpw? ).. I figure he'll lose his cool in the locker room about 60 days in.. and blow up the press in 90 ..
He took on a losing proposition.. the team has not been improved.. he lost 1/2 of his goaltending ( which was the main reason the Canucks won a lot of games).. and the division is going to a lot tougher this year.. a No Win situation

About the only thing to be excited about this season is going to be the press conferences when Torts finally loses his cool..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby sagebrush » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 am

It's going to be tough sledding for a while. Much will depend on Luongo, right side D, whether guys like Kassian & Hansen can take it to the next level, & prospects progress. Once again, the local media will push for answers on what will constitute a successful season.

In theory, Torts will be Gillis advocate, but Torts & Gillis are under different pressures. Torts is smart enough to know he can use the media to his advantage while Gillis tries to save his own ass.

The potential machinations are diabolical. Gonna be plenty to hold our interest this season, without the need for hyperbole from flatulent forum posters.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:21 am

Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?

He took on a losing proposition.. the team has not been improved.. he lost 1/2 of his goaltending ( which was the main reason the Canucks won a lot of games).. and the division is going to a lot tougher this year.. a No Win situation


Am I the only one that thinks a healthy Kesler, Booth and Bieksa, the loss of a distraction (goaltending controversy), a full 82-game season, and a new voice behind the bench might actually have a positive impact??

You're bitching like we're the fucking Flames, Tiger. Only one goalie can play at a time, and one of them was bound to be traded, so losing 1/2 of the goaltending was in the cards for whoever coaches the team.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Tiger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?

He took on a losing proposition.. the team has not been improved.. he lost 1/2 of his goaltending ( which was the main reason the Canucks won a lot of games).. and the division is going to a lot tougher this year.. a No Win situation


Am I the only one that thinks a healthy Kesler, Booth and Bieksa, the loss of a distraction (goaltending controversy), a full 82-game season, and a new voice behind the bench might actually have a positive impact??

You're bitching like we're the fucking Flames, Tiger. Only one goalie can play at a time, and one of them was bound to be traded, so losing 1/2 of the goaltending was in the cards for whoever coaches the team.


Yep I noticed that they only put 1 goaltender on the ice in a game.. amazing isn't it ? However I think we are still saddled with the wrong 1/2 .. Maybe you haven't noticed in the last few years Luongo is a slow starter every season. Don't expect any difference this season. I also happened to notice that the twins are not improving with age.. A healthy 2nd line and a new coach may offset a slower 1st line but a tougher division will make the going a bit tougher.. There have been no additions to the team that look like game breakers and our D didn't get any better.. So put on your rose colored glasses if you like.. But this years edition is not a Stanley cup winner and I doubt it will win the division ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am

Kellan Lain has signed a 2 year, $600,000k per year deal with the #Canucks @TEAM1040 as per capgeek

I think our 4th line should be set now with either
Sestito, Richardson(C), Lain(C), Gaunce(C), and Weise.

Lain might have to switch to wing if Richardson is the key cog for the 4th line.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby ESQ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Love to see a link to that.


http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/02/116665/

Something very strange - I googled Cory Schneider Panic Attacks and there were several hits to the Botchford article on Jan. 17, 2013, but all the links were dead and the article didn't show up on any news site. So it looks like someone removed the article. But here is the text of the original article :http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/17/cory-schneider-says-his-game-six-cramp-in-chicago-in-2011-was-the-result-of-anxiety

Its very important to note the date there. Schneider didn't come out and say this until January 17, 2013. After he'd signed his big-money extension and supposedly been given the reins.

Two days later, in his first game as The Starter, he gives up 5 goals on 14 shots.

Topper wrote:laughably close with the King Richard and Kaptain Kirk effects

Definitely true with Richard, though I considered Kirk to have been a top goalie of his era (or is that just my own nostalgia?).

At any event, I wouldn't trade this team today for the 1982 Canucks.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Tciso » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am

SKYO wrote:Kellan Lain has signed a 2 year, $600,000k per year deal with the #Canucks @TEAM1040 as per capgeek

I think our 4th line should be set now with either
Sestito, Richardson(C), Lain(C), Gaunce(C), and Weise.

Lain might have to switch to wing if Richardson is the key cog for the 4th line.


How do we end up with two Kellans in the system? Lain and Tochkin. One more, and we will have a complete Kellan Line. :D

Lain is a big boy, and I hope he can transition from college to the NHL. but, he could easily spend the year in the AHL. But, I'd love to see him make the team, and provide a true big body on the 4th line.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

Dave Gagner has described Lain as a “big, strong, detailed player; wins face-offs, finishes checks, plays with an edge, is hard on his opponents and skates well too.”

That sounds pretty much ideal for the 4th line.

His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am

herb wrote:His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!

bean pole from the pics I've seen.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:16 am

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!

bean pole from the pics I've seen.


Yup, but so is Kesler and he’s been a pretty successful NHL centre (albeit with injury concerns).

Lain will be 24 when camp opens. He’s no longer a kid and I hope he is taking the physical fitness side of things seriously this summer and comes to camp in the kind of shape and with the kind of mass that he’ll need over a 80+ game AHL/NHL season.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

cron