2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote: I still firmly believe that Kassian will be well worth the wait, but I think we still have a wait. I think he'll come into his own at 24-25 years old like Bert did.
He has done absolutely nothin at the NHL level despite playing with good players on a good team. He looked absolutely lost out there for most of last season and wasn't even playing well in a fourth line role.[/quote]

5 goals in 7 games while playing with good players. Demoted for no apparent reason. Playing with fringe NHL'ers and the odd 3rd liner for the remainder of the season. Granted, he was one of the youngsters in game shape after playing in the AHL while the NHL'ers were locked out. But all the same, his time with "good players" was limited to what? A handful of games and practice?

No argument that he looked lost out there on the third and fourth lines.....and on defense in general.
Rummy wrote: Bertuzzi showed flashes of amazing skill, soft hands, great passing and stickhandling before he broke out... have we really seen that from Kass?
Yes we have, just not as often as we did from Bert.....who btw was also playing with some pretty good players as frequently as Kassian was. The team itself just wasn't as good.....
Rummy wrote: This season he will be 23 and if he doesn't put it together I don't think it's a stretch to say he isn't the player we hoped he would be. I have very high hopes for him because I love what he brings as far as size and toughness with some skill, but if last year doesn't worry you a bit then you either weren't paying attention or you're wearing your rose-colored Corner shades. They're going like hotcakes this summer.
This is true. But those flashes are enough to buy him a full season here before we really start to give him the Canucks fan treatment.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

We'll see Mëds.

More than willing to give him a full season AND playoffs before I pass judgement.

*rattles scepter*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Kassian will be my sleeper pick in most pools. I see him taking over 1st line RW duties alongside the twins. I don't know why but I think he will excel under Torterella. If he puts in the work, that is.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmm - the Oilers are cutting loose a couple of right-shooting defencemen... I know, I know, if they can't make a weak Oilers squad...

However, what if the stupid Oilers stunted their development?

Alex Plante 24 years old, 6'3", 225 lbs
Colten Teubert 23 years old, 6'4", 201 lbs

Both former first round picks, Plante selected 15th overall by Edmonton in 2007, and Teubert selected 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2008.

What do you think? Already busts, or is it bargain bin gold?

S_C
Don't know anything about Plante but Teubert hasn't progressed much at all from what I've heard.. still just a big shitty AHL defensemen with a great pedigree fading into the rearview mirror.

I'd be excited about the right handedness and size of a defensemen that I thought had some chance at a spot on the Canucks but if it's a major project player taking away ice time from other prospects in Utica I'll pass (we already have that in Yan Sauve).

It would be funny to see Teubert on the same team as Adam Polasek, though..
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmm - the Oilers are cutting loose a couple of right-shooting defencemen... I know, I know, if they can't make a weak Oilers squad...

However, what if the stupid Oilers stunted their development?

Alex Plante 24 years old, 6'3", 225 lbs
Colten Teubert 23 years old, 6'4", 201 lbs

Both former first round picks, Plante selected 15th overall by Edmonton in 2007, and Teubert selected 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2008.

What do you think? Already busts, or is it bargain bin gold?

S_C
Plante might be worth a look.. He's got the size and weight and not afraid to use his body.. He only played a total of 10 games in the NHL so to my mind is "unproven".. If MG can get him on a low cost 2 way contract he would add a little depth. Might be a decent call up..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I wonder whether the Grabovski camp is starting to get desperate at this point.

I know everyone has their heart set on one of the kids competing for a job up front but if you had to put money down on either Frank Corrado being ready for the third pairing or one of the Gaunce/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Schroeder set being ready for the third line, which would it be?

Nevermind that if you throw a kid onto the third line you are looking at him or Brad Richardson to fill Ryan Kesler's skates next him he hurts himself..

Anyway that decision would be entirely predicated on a player of Grabovski's calibre (ie. vastly better than Alberts or Doug Murray) being willing to sign a short term deal at a low cap hit.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

dbr wrote:I wonder whether the Grabovski camp is starting to get desperate at this point.

I know everyone has their heart set on one of the kids competing for a job up front but if you had to put money down on either Frank Corrado being ready for the third pairing or one of the Gaunce/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Schroeder set being ready for the third line, which would it be?

Nevermind that if you throw a kid onto the third line you are looking at him or Brad Richardson to fill Ryan Kesler's skates next him he hurts himself..

Anyway that decision would be entirely predicated on a player of Grabovski's calibre (ie. vastly better than Alberts or Doug Murray) being willing to sign a short term deal at a low cap hit.
If you could get Grabovski for $2 million then I think it's a no-brainer. Would add tremendous depth to the line-up and give Torts the ability to move players in and out of the top 6. A one year deal would give Grabo a chance to put up good points this season and go into UFA next year when the cap is expected to go up.

That being said, he did complain about playing on third line last year, so he probably doesn't view the Canuck's center ice depth as a "good thing".
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I dunno about Grabbo. I think his off ice issues may be a bit too much for MG. He does have that top six talent but it would definitely mean moving Kesler to the third line and would close the door for JS. For the right price on a one year deal I guess he is worth a try but he was 0 points and a minus 10 in the playoffs last year. Not exactly the type we need when the going gets tough.

I also think that MG is committed this year to letting a couple of the young kids get opportunities to make the team and play meaningful minutes with the club. This is the year that fan expectations are all over the place so maybe this is the year to do that. Its also the year to see if Booth can contribute in a meaningful way.

MayRay would be a better pick up because we know he can at least play in all three zones and can kill penalties and I would not re-sign him at the risk of taking a spot from one of the kids.

Any extra money is better spent solidifying the D and perhaps a solid back up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dbr wrote: I know everyone has their heart set on one of the kids competing for a job up front but if you had to put money down on either Frank Corrado being ready for the third pairing or one of the Gaunce/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Schroeder set being ready for the third line, which would it be?

Have to say I really don't get the Canucks thinking on this one.....

The only prospect likely ready or capable of playing a role for this team is Corrado, and yet Gillis seems to be looking at a defenseman to play in the 6th spot.

Now normally I would have no problem with that strategy if it didn't require one of our other prospects to step up early and grab the 3rd line centre role. I just don't see anyone being ready to do that

If Grabo is willing to do a short term deal the Canucks should be all over it.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Betting on Corrado being ready to play bottom pairing minutes is a much safer bet than one of Gaunce/Horvat/Shinkaruk/Schroeder being capable of playing as a quality 3rd line centre.

Grabo at $2M would be an absolute god send.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

I don't think that signing Grabo at $2million precludes the Canucks from having one of those rookies take a center spot from a salary cap point of view, the question then becomes how much ice time will the rookie get and is it worth having them in the NHL vs AHL/Junior etc. It sure improves our forward depth immensely, especially when the inevitable RK17 injury occurs.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($2.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Dale Weise ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Chris Tanev ($1.500m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,909,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $553,056
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:I dunno about Grabbo. I think his off ice issues may be a bit too much for MG. He does have that top six talent but it would definitely mean moving Kesler to the third line and would close the door for JS.
$lacker wrote: It sure improves our forward depth immensely, especially when the inevitable RK17 injury occurs.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not ready to give up on Schroeder, but signing another center doesn't mean JS won't get a sniff in the Bigs this year. This move would basically have JS take Ebbett's spot from last year, which is fine by me.\

Its interesting though - with the cap expected to rise to $80 million in 4 years, and the shadiness of Barry and the Alfredsson situation, I wonder if a guy like Grabovski is getting good advice. He should be pushing for a short-term deal in this cap-crunch year, not holding out for term.

Looking at the number of silly contracts handed out summer of 2012, hitting FA in 1-2 years when the cap is $70 million would be ideal.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Don't see Grabs as a good fit here.

He's a top 6 centre and we have those two spots filled.

Grabs hates the Leaves enough to sign with a team in their division.

And he has the skill + drive to thoroughly punish them 7 times per year. :)

Do it Grabs!

BTW I don't think Grabs is desperate and he would have a dozen teams fighting over him if willing to take $2mil.

Pretty sure he is mulling over offers in the $3m+ range.

He has a lot of pride and will be out to prove the Leaves wrong.

Actually, Washington may be the team he choo-choo-chooses.
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

A couple more things on the Grabo front:

From Puck Daddy today:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 31851.html
"If term was the focus earlier in the process, it no longer is. Greenstin told us on Tuesday that Grabovski would likely take a 1-year contract with whichever NHL team signs him, which is the desire for both the player and his agent."

And SI yesterday:
http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/20/brad-boyes ... nhl_t11_a0

Mikhail Grabovski
An inflated sense of worth is all that’s keeping him from getting a new deal . . . at least in the opinion of one NHL GM. “He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” the GM told Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. “And once everybody who wanted a center signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.” That’s probably true, to an extent. You can’t blame Grabovski for wanting to double-dip—after all, he signed the first contract in good faith—and the next team doesn’t have an inherent right to get him at a discount simply because he’s got a load of cash coming to him. So as misguided as the GM’s indignation might be, it’s fair to say that it’s a factor. But the bigger issue for Grabovski, 29, is whether there’s a team out there that shares his belief that he can center a second line. The past few seasons with the Maple leaves exposed his weakness as a playmaker, and after scoring nine goals in 2013 there are questions about his ability to finish . . . and no one can miss his minus-10 rating in seven playoff games last spring. Grabovski isn’t as bad as that number suggests, but it reinforces questions of where he fits, and what a team thinks that role is worth. If an NHL team does bite, I’m betting it’ll be Vancouver.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:I dunno about Grabbo. I think his off ice issues may be a bit too much for MG.
Am I missing something beyond the barfight during the Olympics (Zack Kassian has one of those under his belt) or the burned bridges in TO?
He does have that top six talent but it would definitely mean moving Kesler to the third line and would close the door for JS.
Well Kesler can play the wing and will probably see the IR at some point (and should see it sooner than in years previous rather than playing through injuries, IMO anyway). Grabovski has played with another center, Jay McClement who I do not believe lines up at the wing, so he may be able to move as well.

Lastly Schroeder should be able to do the same - the deal he signed indicates he is willing to be flexible off the ice if it keeps him on the roster, there's no reason he shouldn't be willing to accept any role the team has in mind for him.
For the right price on a one year deal I guess he is worth a try but he was 0 points and a minus 10 in the playoffs last year. Not exactly the type we need when the going gets tough.
Did not watch the leaves playoff series this year so I can't speak to Grabovski's play there.

That being said he was arguably miscast all year long and for a player with several years preceding this one with a strong track record as a two-way contributor I'd say an abysmal playoffs following a season where he could not play his way up the lineup (despite his play actually meriting it) is not the end of the world.

I mean it is a red flag to be sure. But we wouldn't be talking about signing him in late August if he didn't have a red flag on him. He still had a strong season in terms of possession data with the toughest matchups of any leaves forward, and he has a few seasons prior as their best forward from a possession standpoint. Whether you consider him the second line center or the third line center is immaterial to me, the bottom line is that he is a center who can play hockey at the NHL level and we need a third one.
I also think that MG is committed this year to letting a couple of the young kids get opportunities to make the team and play meaningful minutes with the club. This is the year that fan expectations are all over the place so maybe this is the year to do that. Its also the year to see if Booth can contribute in a meaningful way.
Well I agree that's probably what's going to happen, I just don't think any of the forward prospects (other than Schroeder) are in a make or break year where they have to win a full time NHL job - I think that forcing them to win someone else's job is a good thing.