Jovo trade?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will Jovo be traded?

yes
19%
no
81%

Total votes: 26

magnum44
CC Veteran

Jovo trade?

Post by magnum44 »

There are some rumours swirling around that Jovo may be traded. Before the season it was thought that Florida was interested and with Jovo taking up a sizeable amount of cap room on a team that is up against the cap ceiling and set to become a UFA at the end of the year does DN try and deal him now when he could get max value, free up some financial wiggle room, and put his stamp on "Burke's team" or is Jovo too important to the teams Cup chances this year, even if we do lose him for nothing after the season. Does the recent signing of Doig, defensive depth in the system and the unexpectedly good play of Salo, Allen and Baumgartner factor in to making Jovo a tradeable asset? Is the team making an all out run for the cup this year or trying to balance current and future potential? With disparate minds like Fred and Gallagher both ruminating on this issue I thought it would be a good subject for discussion.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Just when you thought is was safe to back to the forum....

I thought the trade rumours would have put to rest for a while.

I don't see this happening until late in the season - and by then if we're still as successful as we are now, would Nonis mess with the chemistry?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

I just don't see this happening at all. Sounds like another typical rumour coming out of Florida. The team is 8-1-1 and Jovo is a huge part of it and I believe he has 10 points. Unless Jovo "asks" for a trade this season or the Canucks start to tank, then he is going nowhere. In fact, I can almost see DN trying to sign him next season, going over the cap and then trying to trade him for a tangible player (much like Ottawa did this year with Hossa and the Heatley deal).
Media_Man
AHL Prospect

Post by Media_Man »

From what I know, Dave Nonis and Jovo's agent Pat Morris haven't even discussed a new extension yet. And I can't see Nonis letting a hot commodity like Jovanovski, go for free, when he can get something for him in return. I know the team wants to retain his rights, but Jovanovski's life is in the East. Growing up in Ontario, his wife being from Miami, and both make their home in Boca Raton, where his wife spends at least half the time during the hockey season. She, being the ultimate trophy wife, may have something to say about this. If they don't get Jovanovski's name on a new deal by the trade deadline, look for Jovanovski to be traded, or get the hell out of dodge as an UFA.
I only report the facts!!!!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

NO
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Jovo's last contract was signed under the old CBA. Will he really get that much of a raise on $4 million per, that we couldn't afford him next year? Seeing that Ohlund signed in the $3.5 range, I would think Jovo's worth isn't astronomically higher than that.

If he does absolutely need to be moved, I would hope it was a trade-and-sign type deal. If he isn't signed and was going to be moved near the deadline, I couldn't see us getting more than a pick and a prospect. However, if he is signed and then traded, we could ask for a player of similar value.
Though if we could pry a Bouwmeester or Luongo (unlikely) from Keenan in exchange, I wouldn't be too upset. 8-)
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I think that Jovo will resign at some point in the year at the expense of someone like Ruutu. A borderline player being payed more then the league minimum. I don't think Jovo will be overly greedy, but I think he will ask for at least 4.5 mill per. If we do end up resigning him it will probably be for a number of years.
As for a trade, I can't envision one happening anytime soon. If Jovo does ask too much, I think Nonis will just let him become a UFA and sign a few average players with that money and let Ohlund step into the #1 D spot. As much as I like Jovo, if he starts demanding 6 mill plus, I would be happy to let him go and strengthen our lower lines.
But on the flip side to that, it would suck to have to play against him.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

It's not so much is Jovo going to get the same as Ohlund, the guys probably worth it. But are some of the other players, just like Cooke going to demand raises and I'm thinking of the Sedins and maybe carter assuming his game picks up as we move in to the season. Right now we have few altenatives to sign any of these guys because we're Capped out. I might be wrong but looks to me like the Sedins are going to enjoy the results of the new NHL more than many so i assume we want to keep them,, but at what price and who do we dump to make Cap room. I wonder if Goren can fill the role to some degree that Bertuzzi plays or move Jovo as the others move in Bieska, Skinner Mojiz and maybe the new kid from the Q there appears to me to be a surplus or good depth in the organisation at D so we move a high paid D and the likely player is Jovo for either a pick or a body
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Fred are you seriously suggesting we go with Lee Goren on the first line next year...?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Man why bother, if the Cap stays the same next season guess what we're over the top think about it.

What is the alternative it's no use dumping a low guy.... it doesn't make any difference so pick a name and decide what or how your going to solve the problem.

Now then what's your suggestion ? we can't keep every one. I watch the St L / Caolina games the rinks are empty and I although I haven't seen Atlanta or Columbus but I suspect their numbers are down to.

Bert up to now is playing less than spectacular and Naslund is still putting up good numbers
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Carolina had 13,000 against the Bruins last night.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

simply put with the numbers he has posted so far if he can sustain them there is no way in hell he is being traded unless we get luongo...then id be happy cloutier should be the one on the trading block
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

So Ok what do you recommend dump the Sedins, Jovo, Bertuzzi some thing has to give unless there are great leaps forward in the Cap numbers
cheers
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

If the club is "going for it" this year - and there seems to be every reason to assume that is the case so far - then trading Jovo would be sheer cockeyed fricken madness.

"Getting something for him" would basically be waiving the white flag on the season.

Contenders acquire players at the deadline.

Pretenders "get something" for their upcoming FAs.

What category do you hope the 'Nucks will be in this Spring?
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
cupboundnucks
AHL Prospect

Post by cupboundnucks »

Now i have no source for this..but i heard from a few unreliable places lol that the cap will be pushed up to 42 /42.5 million nxt year?? i dunno if that is true..but if it is..i say dont trade jovo ....

jovo is about 4 million
and will most probably expect a raise...(near a million maybe?) ..he's already getting a point a game or sumthin..and he's still pretty young.

that being said...i am a jovo fan! and it would hurt to see him leave
but......he's got decent trade value..and i wouldnt be to upset of we scored a young dman like jay.bo. and a pick.... that would make it easier for us to re sign the twins..who will expect and deserve a raise.
linden will most probably take a paycut... i doubt carter will earn must more than he is making now...

soooo if nonis knew for certain that the cap would stay the same or maybe decrease then he should trade jovo for something equal in value just less expensive...
If he finds out that the cap might be increased then he should keep the wildman :)

hmmm ppl say turco wants to be traded or sumtin?? maybe package jovo up with clouts and send'm for marty and zubov haha i dunno how much marty earns a year but ive always had a soft spot for him :)
94-95
"hey i jus got off work..did the nucks win the cup?"
"YEA THEY DID "
"no just kidding"