Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Southern_Canuck »

herb wrote:A few things to keep in mind going forward are that there is no way our power play cannot improve, Kesler (the straw who stirs the drink) will start the year healthy and Edler and Bieksa are capable of being much better than they were.
Hahaha - that is so true!

Not many people talking about it, but as you point out it will be almost impossible to have a worse power play than how the Canucks finished the year.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dangler wrote:The Sedins best years are behind them,the teams success will be predicated on Booths,Hansens and Kassians contributions, Kesler's health,and a rookie or 3 making the squad. Sedin regression is here.
We will see how much, if any, they regress, but I can guarantee you that Booth, Hansen and Kassian will not outscore them. For better or for worse they are still the forwards this team is built around.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Not many people talking about it, but as you point out it will be almost impossible to have a worse power play than how the Canucks finished the year.

S_C
Our impotent power play easily cost us a handful of games last year, and that was only a 48 game season. There is no reason that this roster should be ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the league in that respect.

Keeping the PK strong and getting the PP back into the top 1/3 of the league absolutely need to be priorities. We do that and we’ll be OK in the regular season.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

It occurs to me that Gillis isn’t the only one with the prerogative and incentive to make Bold moves to improve the Canucks – Tortorella has that option, too. Consider the following (though I doubt he will):

Henrik and Daniel Sedin are genetically identical, meaning that they have exactly the same athletic potential. Which one played which position was entirely a matter of chance growing up, and of course if they wanted to be on the same line, only one could play centre. Although he is not exactly every poster on this board’s cup of meat, Henrik Sedin has been, both statistically and in the estimation of his peers, one of the top centres in the world for the past five or so seasons.

Therefore (bold move): move Daniel to centre.

The twins will embrace the move enthusiastically, because it will allow direct, head-to-oversized-head statistical comparisons for their friendly fraternal rivalry. Of course there will be learning curve, but the upcoming season will be a long enough to allow for that. As I see it, there is almost no chance that Daniel will make anything less than an above-average NHL centre, and a good chance that he will be an excellent one. Assuming Daniel does at least make it to average, the move accomplishes the following useful things:

>Suddenly very deep at centre. If Schroeder makes the team at all, he does it as a lower-middle-class man’s Martin St. Louis (which I think he has a chance of doing).
>Henrik shoots more, improving his overall effectiveness.
>Balanced scoring. Kesler’s line can focus on the shut-down / counterpunch role in which he truly excels, relieving the need to find a “third” line centre, even as his line leads the team in ice time (the other teams will probably want to play their top line centres a lot).
>Only one “soft” Sedin on the ice at a time on the ice to protect, helping to improve overall forward “stiffness” factor.

They could be re-united for power plays, when the extra room has (historically) provided the greatest chance for Sedin-ery to flourish.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The twins are great players despite what some would have you believe. That said Danny is a winger. You don't just start playing centre at 32 ...not to mention they are both pretty weak defensively at this point so do you want two shitty defensive centres eating up 36 - 40 minutes a game, really ??

I agree with splitting them up for an extended perios because they are too damned complacent playing every fucking shift together and often over pass the damned puck. You would have two elite playmakers on the top 2 lines.

Burrows Hank Kassian
Danny Kesler Booth
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:It occurs to me that Gillis isn’t the only one with the prerogative and incentive to make Bold moves to improve the Canucks – Tortorella has that option, too. Consider the following (though I doubt he will):

Henrik and Daniel Sedin are genetically identical, meaning that they have exactly the same athletic potential. Which one played which position was entirely a matter of chance growing up, and of course if they wanted to be on the same line, only one could play centre. Although he is not exactly every poster on this board’s cup of meat, Henrik Sedin has been, both statistically and in the estimation of his peers, one of the top centres in the world for the past five or so seasons.

Where your theory has holes is that Daniel is a faster skater, they train together and the same way, but Henrik has said that Daniel has always been a stride or two faster since they were kids. Henrik has taken the same abuse that Danny has, but Daniel has had several injuries that have cost him weeks out of the lineup. No I'm not counting the concussion from Keith. They are twins, but they genetically identical still allows for variances in attributes and personality. Hank sets up Danny, Dank will take a shot. If Danny sets up Hank, Hank will take a shit before he tries a shot.....he'll try to make the pass back most times.

Look at their faces, look at when they smile. These identical genetics have given Daniel a more angular face and some nearly perfect teeth, Henrik has a rounder looking face and is a bit gap toothed.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:It occurs to me that Gillis isn’t the only one with the prerogative and incentive to make Bold moves to improve the Canucks – Tortorella has that option, too. Consider the following (though I doubt he will):

The twins will embrace the move enthusiastically, because it will allow direct, head-to-oversized-head statistical comparisons for their friendly fraternal rivalry. Of course there will be learning curve, but the upcoming season will be a long enough to allow for that. As I see it, there is almost no chance that Daniel will make anything less than an above-average NHL centre, and a good chance that he will be an excellent one. Assuming Daniel does at least make it to average, the move accomplishes the following useful things:

>Suddenly very deep at centre. If Schroeder makes the team at all, he does it as a lower-middle-class man’s Martin St. Louis (which I think he has a chance of doing).
>Henrik shoots more, improving his overall effectiveness.
>Balanced scoring. Kesler’s line can focus on the shut-down / counterpunch role in which he truly excels, relieving the need to find a “third” line centre, even as his line leads the team in ice time (the other teams will probably want to play their top line centres a lot).
>Only one “soft” Sedin on the ice at a time on the ice to protect, helping to improve overall forward “stiffness” factor.

They could be re-united for power plays, when the extra room has (historically) provided the greatest chance for Sedin-ery to flourish.
Sure thing Doctor Frankenstein ..(mod edit)
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Ok Topper... that's pretty damn offensive and entirely innappropriate to this board.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hejduk not going to be re-signed by the Av's, MG should sign him to a one year deal using the 7.5% cap allowance, to finally get that extra sniper to help our putrid secondary scoring.

http://thehockeywriters.com/colorado-av ... Writers%29
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

wafflecombine wrote:Ok Topper... that's pretty damn offensive and entirely innappropriate to this board.
8.7 on the Rikster Scale.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Hejduk not going to be re-signed by the Av's, MG should sign him to a one year deal using the 7.5% cap allowance, to finally get that extra sniper to help our putrid secondary scoring.

http://thehockeywriters.com/colorado-av ... Writers%29
I absolutely detest Hejduk.

Anyone remember him celebrating every single goal in the blowout-Bertuzzi-snaps-on-Moore game? :roll:

Besides, he's done like dinner....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

wafflecombine wrote:Ok Topper... that's pretty damn offensive and entirely innappropriate to this board.
Did the all the soap notl get rinsed from your brown suit?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:

I understand what you are suggesting Ronning but I disagree with how it might be implemented. while I am sure Daniel would embrace the challenge of being a centre, its not a simple skill set you can jump into and succeed at. That's why centres are so covetted throughout the league. Because of his natural ability he might make a servicable centre but I think we can find solutions down the middle at a much lower cap hit.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Kassian needs to start looking like an NHL forward this season or I'm going to be pretty fucking disappointed watching Hodgson get a PPG on Sportscenter.

:evil:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Rumsfeld wrote:Kassian needs to start looking like an NHL forward this season or I'm going to be pretty fucking disappointed watching Hodgson get a PPG on Sportscenter.

:evil:
You're confusing. This quote was made by you in the other thread re: Luongo vs Schneider:

"It's the same bullshit this board pulled after the Hodgson trade. A kid you were all creaming your underoos about is suddenly not very good and we're lucky to be rid of him."

Just curious, what would possess you to have a 'handle' (Rumsfeld) that comes from the biggest DICK ever in north american politics/history??
cc oldtimer