Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

So am I reading the new CBA right in that a team cannot walk away from an arbitration decision below 3.5 million?
The only HW the Canucks need
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Hockey Widow wrote: I can see the Canucks moving Luongo next year IF one of our young goalies looks ready to take over. The worst situation we could find ourselves in is another CS situation 2-3 years from now. But maybe ownership is willing to buy him out but not with a compliance buy out. A way to still spend to the cap but not over it. Who knows.
Worst is probably that the hacks have it right and Lou is on a downward trend (or that he demands a trade per his contract) with neither Lack nor Erickson able to fill in as a legit #1. I don't think we've seen any evidence to suggest they have the same potential. It's probably more likely that players come from Europe as pros into the AHL and are then never able to crack the NHL lineup.

But I do think Lou's major driver is to play with a team that gives him a chance to win, and lets him play a lot of games. If Vancouver's going to offer that, I think it's probably better than the panthers who will never get a sniff. Mrs. Lou can learn to live in Vancouver for another 10 years with the promise of moving to Florida afterwards. Honestly, having been out of Vancouver for 13+ years, living away from your family isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. It isn't like Lou can't afford to fly the family up to BC multiple times per year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Whether they bounce off his ass, he cant see them or it's everybody elses fault.....maybe 'ol Davester Tallon knows what everyone else does... I'm telling ya....it's no secret
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Whether they bounce off his ass, he cant see them or it's everybody elses fault.....maybe 'ol Davester Tallon knows what everyone else does... I'm telling ya....it's no secret
Jesus Christ UDL, you make it sound like it's Luongo's skills that are worthless. It's the contract, FFS.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

rats19 wrote:anyone find themselves??

http://www.gigapixel.com/mobile/?id=79995

:look:
Cool, yes I did. Wow, my beard was serious. I recall how freaking hot it was under that sun...and that before the game even started the testosterone levels in the crowd were clearly running too high. I texted my bro in the first period saying, win or lose, there's going to be trouble here. Crazy

Thanks for posting that.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Has the VPD found you yet?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Jesus Christ UDL, you make it sound like it's Luongo's skills that are worthless. It's the contract, FFS.
I maintain that it has nothing to do with his skills OR his contract and EVERYTHING to do with his propensity to melt down in the big games. Not all the big games either...It seems to be limited to the BIGGEST of games

Does anyone feel that IF he didn't have those chokefest playoff performances that 5 point anything a year is all that much for a top goaltender in this league?

No he isn't the sole reason we lost anything. Yes it is unfortunate that his team didn't do a better job when he would struggle. Yes he is a very good goaltender 95% of the time.

It's just that the 5% happens to be specifically when it matters te most.

Sorry if my point seems a bit "anti-Canuck" It is summer after all and given what's happened over the past year and a half with all this I'm extremely disappointed in what happened. CS was huge loss IMHO and we really will miss him. That said Horvat appears to fill a huge hole in the organizations weakest position. Gillis really had nowhere else to go with all this.
If you need air...call it in
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

I maintain that it has nothing to do with his skills OR his contract and EVERYTHING to do with his propensity to melt down in the big games. Not all the big games either...It seems to be limited to the BIGGEST of games
Not a chance UDL. If Lu had been on a normal contract with 3-5 years left on it he would have commanded a decent return for the Canucks. And the BIGGEST of games? Really? Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

$lacker wrote:Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.
The only difference being that in the Gold Medal game, he had players in front of hm that could actually SCORE.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

The biggest two games of Luongos's career....game 7 against Chicago in round 1, Game 7 against Boston in the SCF, elimination round against Slovakia, and the Gold Medal game against Team USA.

Didn't melt down in any of those games.

Seems his meltdowns are in big games, but not the BIGGEST.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
$lacker wrote:Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.
The only difference being that in the Gold Medal game, he had players in front of hm that could actually SCORE.
And they were up against a very good American team that had some pretty good goal scoring ability themselves.....

3-2 in OT.

They they really didn't do a helluvalot of that scoring stuff.....did they.....

;)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

To be fair, the "Luongo's meltdowns" have a lot to do with AV. If AV pulled him, we would not be discussing about it at all.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote:
Boom and there it is, the teams biggest weakness is not goaltending it's the lack of scoring, and so far the only option for MG is to keep every player we have now and fill the rest in with some rookies, along with maybe one more trade. All while hoping Booth and Kesler stay relatively injury free for our 2nd line.

But I hear your complaints UDL, Lu does wear his heart on his sleeve and can succumb to depression like play when he has an off game, but more often than not he plays really well, the best goaltending this team has ever had in it's entirety.

Yes it is unfortunate Burkie really wanted his new rule implented to force a steal of a deal to land Lu, but shit happens and Schneider was forced to be traded instead, so we just have to make the best of it.

I think when push comes to shove Lu will bounce back and be stellar once again for the next five years or so, he can still play even better imo.

I'd compare Lu to Eddie the Eagle in that he gets better with age to a certain point obviously. Luongo is entering his prime years right now with his wealth of experience and knowledge of the game without being too old just yet.

Ed Belfour
1999 Stanley Cup - 34 yrs old - Dallas Stars
2006 - 41 yrs old - last season with Panthers - retirement.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote:
Even in some of the big wins (Game 7 WCQF 2011, Gold Medal Game 2010) he's found a way to give one up in the last minute of the third.
That statement is horse shit and you know it.

In G7R1 had the tables been reversed and Kesler scored a short handed goal with under a minute left to send the game into OT, NOBODY would be saying Crawford let in a weak goal, rather they'd be talking about the great goal by RK17. Towes (as much as I hate to say it) scored a brilliant never-quit goal to send it into OT.

In OT with Burrows in the box, Towes sets up Sharp almost point blank and Luongo stops the shot. Don't hear you talking about that one...

In the GMG, same thing, he gets left alone against two Americans in the final minute but there is no fault on the d-men in the game, it's all Lou's fault. No mention of the point blank save he made in the OT when Neidermayer gave the puck up, nor of the decision Lou made the keep the play alive which resulted in the puck being played down to the American zone and in the net.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Topper wrote:Has the VPD found you yet?
I was on the train back to burbs as the 3rd period started...an old guy knows when to split the scene when the young 'uns are about to get into it; wasn't about to become collateral damage. Plus, the 3rd period was too depressing to stick around for...