Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby rats19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 pm

You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 am

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
Mondi wrote:As a man who deals exclusively in common sense

You are a lunatic.

Mondi wrote:the great SL's

Referring to Strangelove as great proves it.

You may very well be right Mr Topper.

In my professional opinion only a lunatic or a genius would refer to the Great Strangelove as great.

Speaking of my professional opinion

… only a lunatic or a genius would believe the Great Strangelove to be an actual psychiatrist.

But hey, what do I know right...

I'll tell you what I know!

Dale Tallon is a lunatic if he starts the season with Markstrom and Clemmensen in net, that's wot!

And there aren't many options left for Dale...

Take a look at that new division, Markstrom and Clemmensen would be the worst tandem by far IMPO.

A match made in heaven. Gotta wonder what Tallon was waiting for. He could have had Luongo for next to nothing. If they were worried about the cap re-capture I am sure the Canucks would have granted the Panthers permission to talk to Luongo about his plans for retirement. Luongo has shown himself to be a stand up guy. To go home I am sure he would have assured the Panthers that he wouldn't retire early and that something could be worked out when the time came. But even then it is not something they would need to worry about for at least 6-7 years. Maybe the last two years of his contract but if you look at the goalies who have played well into their 40's I see Luongo as that type of athlete.

It really is too bad for all concerned. Florida sure could use a guy like Luongo, Luongo would be thrilled to be back in Florida, the Canucks would have been free of him and CS would be ready to take over the reigns.

As it is CS will spilt duty with Marty for at least this year, possibly next. The NJD seem to be a team on the downward trend. A bad situation could have looked a whole lot better if Tallon had just played nice.

I can see the Canucks moving Luongo next year IF one of our young goalies looks ready to take over. The worst situation we could find ourselves in is another CS situation 2-3 years from now. But maybe ownership is willing to buy him out but not with a compliance buy out. A way to still spend to the cap but not over it. Who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

So am I reading the new CBA right in that a team cannot walk away from an arbitration decision below 3.5 million?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby BingoTough » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I can see the Canucks moving Luongo next year IF one of our young goalies looks ready to take over. The worst situation we could find ourselves in is another CS situation 2-3 years from now. But maybe ownership is willing to buy him out but not with a compliance buy out. A way to still spend to the cap but not over it. Who knows.

Worst is probably that the hacks have it right and Lou is on a downward trend (or that he demands a trade per his contract) with neither Lack nor Erickson able to fill in as a legit #1. I don't think we've seen any evidence to suggest they have the same potential. It's probably more likely that players come from Europe as pros into the AHL and are then never able to crack the NHL lineup.

But I do think Lou's major driver is to play with a team that gives him a chance to win, and lets him play a lot of games. If Vancouver's going to offer that, I think it's probably better than the panthers who will never get a sniff. Mrs. Lou can learn to live in Vancouver for another 10 years with the promise of moving to Florida afterwards. Honestly, having been out of Vancouver for 13+ years, living away from your family isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. It isn't like Lou can't afford to fly the family up to BC multiple times per year.
I wonder if they'll disallow the whole game because of the distinct ass-kicking motion the Canucks used on the Kings? - Brian CC

Congratulations on the new job dave, try not to fuck it up this time eh? - UKCanuck
BingoTough
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 am

Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Whether they bounce off his ass, he cant see them or it's everybody elses fault.....maybe 'ol Davester Tallon knows what everyone else does... I'm telling ya....it's no secret
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Whether they bounce off his ass, he cant see them or it's everybody elses fault.....maybe 'ol Davester Tallon knows what everyone else does... I'm telling ya....it's no secret

Jesus Christ UDL, you make it sound like it's Luongo's skills that are worthless. It's the contract, FFS.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 am

rats19 wrote:anyone find themselves??

http://www.gigapixel.com/mobile/?id=79995

:look:

Cool, yes I did. Wow, my beard was serious. I recall how freaking hot it was under that sun...and that before the game even started the testosterone levels in the crowd were clearly running too high. I texted my bro in the first period saying, win or lose, there's going to be trouble here. Crazy

Thanks for posting that.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

Has the VPD found you yet?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Maybe...Dale had front row seats to 2 of those infamous meltdowns and saw enough for him to determine our beloved Luo ain't worth diddly.

Jesus Christ UDL, you make it sound like it's Luongo's skills that are worthless. It's the contract, FFS.

I maintain that it has nothing to do with his skills OR his contract and EVERYTHING to do with his propensity to melt down in the big games. Not all the big games either...It seems to be limited to the BIGGEST of games

Does anyone feel that IF he didn't have those chokefest playoff performances that 5 point anything a year is all that much for a top goaltender in this league?

No he isn't the sole reason we lost anything. Yes it is unfortunate that his team didn't do a better job when he would struggle. Yes he is a very good goaltender 95% of the time.

It's just that the 5% happens to be specifically when it matters te most.

Sorry if my point seems a bit "anti-Canuck" It is summer after all and given what's happened over the past year and a half with all this I'm extremely disappointed in what happened. CS was huge loss IMHO and we really will miss him. That said Horvat appears to fill a huge hole in the organizations weakest position. Gillis really had nowhere else to go with all this.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby $lacker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

I maintain that it has nothing to do with his skills OR his contract and EVERYTHING to do with his propensity to melt down in the big games. Not all the big games either...It seems to be limited to the BIGGEST of games

Not a chance UDL. If Lu had been on a normal contract with 3-5 years left on it he would have commanded a decent return for the Canucks. And the BIGGEST of games? Really? Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 am

$lacker wrote:Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.

The only difference being that in the Gold Medal game, he had players in front of hm that could actually SCORE.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

The biggest two games of Luongos's career....game 7 against Chicago in round 1, Game 7 against Boston in the SCF, elimination round against Slovakia, and the Gold Medal game against Team USA.

Didn't melt down in any of those games.

Seems his meltdowns are in big games, but not the BIGGEST.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

Cornuck wrote:
$lacker wrote:Guess we keep forgetting that Gold medal that hangs around his neck where he not only had the weight of Vancouver, but the whole of Canada on his shoulders.

The only difference being that in the Gold Medal game, he had players in front of hm that could actually SCORE.

And they were up against a very good American team that had some pretty good goal scoring ability themselves.....

3-2 in OT.

They they really didn't do a helluvalot of that scoring stuff.....did they.....

;)
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:26 am

To be fair, the "Luongo's meltdowns" have a lot to do with AV. If AV pulled him, we would not be discussing about it at all.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am

Lots of excuses made for Luongo, its always something. But, this player has saved his worst games in his career for the biggest games in his career.

Even in some of the big wins (Game 7 WCQF 2011, Gold Medal Game 2010) he's found a way to give one up in the last minute of the third.

Luongo is 34. He has a contract until his mid 40s. Including with a NMC. He's got a history of meltdowns. He's been jacked around by Bold Moves Mike. And now, we want him to comeback and steal games? Without an NHL calibre backup?

Pump his tires all you want, the situation in net does not look great.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat