Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 am

Benjo wrote:The decision for the Devils to keep the 29th pick at the 2012 draft looks pretty silly now that they could be a lottery team this season.
The pressure is going to be on for that Matteau kid, the 2014 draft is also supposed to be pretty deep and there's virtually no way the Devils (would) pick lower than they did in 2012.

Pretty stupid decision by the Devils, maybe they think Matteau is a real gem and maybe they're right but from the peanut gallery it looks awful. Even in 2012 it was pretty clear the Devils wouldn't exactly be likely to be drafting 29th or lower any time soon..

That being said if they actually spend some of the cash freed up by Kovalchuk's retirement they could end up with a pretty deep forward group. I'd bet if they put up a little over half what they've saved they could probably scoop up Grabovski and Brunner.. if they can roll four lines and play a tight system they've probably got an outside shot at a playoff spot - you've got to think Cory can give them better goaltending than either Brodeur or Hedberg have over the last couple of years..

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11738
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 am

Was Kovalchuk really a that special? His play definitely doesn't deserve the coin he was gettingI guarantee you Lou is happier now to be out if that contract. The Brodeur era is ending, perfect time for a rebuild in NJ. Poor Corey
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Benjo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:49 am

dbr wrote: That being said if they actually spend some of the cash freed up by Kovalchuk's retirement they could end up with a pretty deep forward group. I'd bet if they put up a little over half what they've saved they could probably scoop up Grabovski and Brunner.. if they can roll four lines and play a tight system they've probably got an outside shot at a playoff spot - you've got to think Cory can give them better goaltending than either Brodeur or Hedberg have over the last couple of years..
I definitely agree that the possibility is there for them to make the playoffs. They have the goaltending, some good D pieces and money to spend on scoring. I like what I hear about Deboer as well, he squeezed all he could out of sucky ass Florida Panthers teams and has already taken the Devils to the finals.

The loss of Kovalchuk and Clarkson are pretty huge though, if memory serves those 2 accounted for 40% of the Devils goals last year. Grabovski and Brunner would be good stop gap players but I don't see them equaling the production (not to mention the size) of Clarkson and Kovalchuk. Clowe was also a good pickup but his offense has dropped off enormously lately, you have to think the Devils are praying every night that he can get it back.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9806
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:29 am

RoyalDude wrote:Was Kovalchuk really a that special? His play definitely doesn't deserve the coin he was gettingI guarantee you Lou is happier now to be out if that contract. The Brodeur era is ending, perfect time for a rebuild in NJ. Poor Corey
Never saw much Atlanta or NJ, but from what I saw, yes, Kovie is that special. Everyone knew of his shot, but he is also a very very smart two way player. Hossa comes to mind but Kovie is a gear or two above that.

Motivation in the stereotypical Soviet hockey player sense appears to be an issue.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5923
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 am

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Was Kovalchuk really a that special? His play definitely doesn't deserve the coin he was gettingI guarantee you Lou is happier now to be out if that contract. The Brodeur era is ending, perfect time for a rebuild in NJ. Poor Corey
Never saw much Atlanta or NJ, but from what I saw, yes, Kovie is that special. Everyone knew of his shot, but he is also a very very smart two way player. Hossa comes to mind but Kovie is a gear or two above that.

Motivation in the stereotypical Soviet hockey player sense appears to be an issue.
No question about how smart he was out there. Especially offensively. His heart was only in it about 60 percent of the time though. That kinda negated the gears he was above other players.

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 am

Islanders lock up Josh Bailey, five years at a $3.3m/per cap hit.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by tantalum » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 am

Gotta reach the cap floor somehow I guess. $3.3 mil for a 30 point 3rd line center. And it's not just the money but 5 years for a guy who quite honestly would stand the risk of being an after thought at this point in many organizations.

Quite shocked he got 600k more per year than Nielsen.

edit: apparently he has been playing wing the last year or so. Still, seems a somewhat strange to shell out that much money and eat up that many UFA years when he really hasn't established any consistency to his game. Is this a case of the cheap islanders shooting themselves in the foot by putting him in the NHL at 18 years old? UFA status comes early for those guys.

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Zedlee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 am

tantalum wrote:Gotta reach the cap floor somehow I guess. $3.3 mil for a 30 point 3rd line center. And it's not just the money but 5 years for a guy who quite honestly would stand the risk of being an after thought at this point in many organizations.

Quite shocked he got 600k more per year than Nielsen.

edit: apparently he has been playing wing the last year or so. Still, seems a somewhat strange to shell out that much money and eat up that many UFA years when he really hasn't established any consistency to his game. Is this a case of the cheap islanders shooting themselves in the foot by putting him in the NHL at 18 years old? UFA status comes early for those guys.
Q. Who was drafted one spot after Bailey?

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 am

tantalum wrote:Gotta reach the cap floor somehow I guess. $3.3 mil for a 30 point 3rd line center. And it's not just the money but 5 years for a guy who quite honestly would stand the risk of being an after thought at this point in many organizations.

Quite shocked he got 600k more per year than Nielsen.

edit: apparently he has been playing wing the last year or so. Still, seems a somewhat strange to shell out that much money and eat up that many UFA years when he really hasn't established any consistency to his game. Is this a case of the cheap islanders shooting themselves in the foot by putting him in the NHL at 18 years old? UFA status comes early for those guys.
I'm going to guess this is another Islanders special along the same lines as the deals they signed Nielsen (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5) Okposo (1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4.5) and Grabner (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)..

Before the compliance buy out period I would have said they will probably ride these guys on cheap salaries and mid level cap hits until they start earning over their cap hit, then dump them for whatever they can - but they actually used a compliance buy out on Dipietro so I guess they may actually be willing to spend more than the minimum amount required by the CBA.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:50 pm

dbr wrote: I'm going to guess this is another Islanders special along the same lines as the deals they signed Nielsen (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5) Okposo (1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4.5) and Grabner (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)..
Nice guess Dave but it looks like Bailey will be getting $3.3mil per.

http://capgeek.com/player/1084

No way Bailey was gonna let Snow dick him around like he did those others.

Not with him giving up 3 years of Unrestricted Free Agency in this deal.

I see Islander fans saying Bailey probably plays LW with Tavares at even strength.

So icetime + assists should begin to rise.

Also I think Bailey will be centring the second PK unit but I could be wrong.

This might turn out to be a decent contract in the long run (the kid is only 23 atm).

Looking over the Islanders salaries at capgeek, never though I'd say this, but Snow is doing a good job of late.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Southern_Canuck » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:11 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Was Kovalchuk really a that special? His play definitely doesn't deserve the coin he was gettingI guarantee you Lou is happier now to be out if that contract. The Brodeur era is ending, perfect time for a rebuild in NJ. Poor Corey
Hahaha - every time Washington came to town, suddenly Kovalchuk was a superstar - uncharacteristically hitting players on the forecheck, chasing down pucks, etc - it was unbelievable. Every bit as much of a difference maker as Ovechkin in those games - Kovalchuk did not like being ranked below Ovechkin among Russians.

Problem was that he didn't provide the same effort against Florida, Tampa, and Carolina, and so on... if Atlanta could have played Washington every game, Kovalchuk would have been in the Crosby vs. Ovechkin discussion.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Vader » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Hextall returns to Philly as assistant GM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427791

Can't help but wonder if Holmgren's on thin ice....

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Jacob Markstrom signed to a two-year extension.

Interesting that the first year is a 2-way.

Also Tallon said they're not handing the #1 spot to Markstrom.

That means the #1 goalie in Florida next season will be one of:

Clemmensen, Markstrom....... or Luongo! :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote: I'm going to guess this is another Islanders special along the same lines as the deals they signed Nielsen (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5) Okposo (1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4.5) and Grabner (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)..
Nice guess Dave but it looks like Bailey will be getting $3.3mil per.

http://capgeek.com/player/1084

No way Bailey was gonna let Snow dick him around like he did those others.
Don't be so sure. Note that on the page you linked, capgeek places the note "the above contract sources an external media report for its details. It will be confirmed shortly." Also in the Islanders chart Bailey's deal is listed in italics.

I've seen this with other deals and I believe what it means is that the site is missing the particulars of the contract.

Still could just be $3.3m per all the way through.. but my guess isn't necessarily wrong yet.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427860

Ducks sign Penner.

One year @ $2mil.

Yup, he wanted to stay in California alright. :drink:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427859

Kings replace Penner with... Carcillo?? :eh:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Post Reply