Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ODB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Cornuck wrote:Get back on topic or suspensions will be handed out.

Like a lot of people, I'm fucking tired of seeing this shit fill up a hockey thread. Go to the Bar and settle it amongst yourselves.
Like
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

User avatar
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ODB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Patrice Bergeron signs an 8 year deal @ a cap hit of $6.5M.

Damn the Sedin's look better and better every day.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427561
No kidding, if you compare Schneider's contract to Rask's... :lol:
I wonder if Lou trades his first this year to the Canucks if he knows Kovalchuk is retiring? The penalty for fracking with old CBA was the loss of their 1st round pick in either 2013 or 2014. Lou opted to keep his pick this year (well ya, it was a 10 ten pick) and then traded it to us.

Kovalchuk and Clarkson accounted for nearly 40% of the Devils goals last season. It's not too far fetched to assume that team is going to struggle this year unless Lou can add some scoring. It looks like they will be losing a high 1st rounder.

Kovalchuk, the gift that keeps on giving...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17721
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm

ODB wrote: I wonder if Lou trades his first this year to the Canucks if he knows Kovalchuk is retiring? The penalty for fracking with old CBA was the loss of their 1st round pick in either 2013 or 2014.
Actually it was 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 (plus a 3rd in 2011).... but yeah.

If you're right... perhaps Joisey drafts 30th overall next year... if you see wot I mean. :wink:
ODB wrote: Kovalchuk and Clarkson accounted for nearly 40% of the Devils goals last season. It's not too far fetched to assume that team is going to struggle this year unless Lou can add some scoring.
Clowe easily replaces Clarkson IMHO (Hallowed) and Ryder + whatever-they-spend-the-extra-capspace-on replaces Kovy.

Well maybe not quite but I have a feeling they'll have much better goaltending this year. :thumbs:

I bet the Devs are glad to be out from under that massive contract.

BTW, Kovy and Clarkson were scraping the bottom in forward plus/minus along with our ole pal Bernier last year.

As per usual.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Devs make the playoffs.

All depends on Cory's performance IMHO.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13421
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 pm

From all reports Lou knew Kovie wanted to go home. He had to talk him into returning after the lockout and allowed him to report late so he could play in the KHL All Star game. I think Lou knew it was going down but as he is want to do he kept a tight lid on it. There are some rumours out there that Elias is quite upset because had he known July 5th that this was going to happen he may not have re-signed there.

I think Lou knew what was going to happen and kept in under raps until the time suite him for the news to get out. I think the promise of not preventing Kovie form playing in the KHL went a long way in helping keep this story from leaking.

I don't for one second believe this was a surprise to him or came out of the blue. It was a managed situation. As it should be if a GM is doing his job.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17721
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:From all reports Lou knew Kovie wanted to go home. He had to talk him into returning after the lockout and allowed him to report late so he could play in the KHL All Star game. I think Lou knew it was going down but as he is want to do he kept a tight lid on it. There are some rumours out there that Elias is quite upset because had he known July 5th that this was going to happen he may not have re-signed there.

I think Lou knew what was going to happen and kept in under raps until the time suite him for the news to get out. I think the promise of not preventing Kovie form playing in the KHL went a long way in helping keep this story from leaking.

I don't for one second believe this was a surprise to him or came out of the blue. It was a managed situation. As it should be if a GM is doing his job.
Agreed with everything but the Elias part.

IMHO Elias either knew all along or strongly suspected it.

It'll be interesting to see what Lou does with the extra spending room.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9905
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Patrice Bergeron signs an 8 year deal @ a cap hit of $6.5M.

Damn the Sedin's look better and better every day.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427561
Bo knows
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Lancer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Strangelove wrote:It'll be interesting to see what Lou does with the extra spending room.
I don't know how much cap room he has under the current ownership, seeing as they defaulted on a loan payment and are having serious cash-flow problems. NJ may be on the downward swing with Kovie going, Clarkson gone and a hope and a prayer coming from the farm. God knows their prospect development system is solid, but I wager it's a non-playoff season for them in 2013-14.

Having said that, the ownership finances side may have sorted itself out by then and Lou may be a player next summer but the latest moves this off-season cry poverty. It`s a franchise worth watching in a Nashville Predators kind of way with ownership.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5950
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Cornuck wrote:Get back on topic or suspensions will be handed out.

Like a lot of people, I'm fucking tired of seeing this shit fill up a hockey thread. Go to the Bar and settle it amongst yourselves.
I second that. It's been a long long while since there was a good old fashioned war.....and isn't that what the Bar and Grill is for? Creeper (RIP) would certainly think so.

After all.....
Arachnid wrote:
.....it's [gonna be] a looooong hot summer."
.....but winter is coming. (fuck me but that has been one of the best shows in years)

Ummmm.... Back on point.....somehow......


Oh I know!!!

Jersey is screwed, poor Schneids, from back to back Presidents and a SCF appearance to A depleted Devils squad.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Per » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:13 am

tantalum wrote:yes he likely just wants to play at home. But it also means he doesn't want to achieve the pinnacle that there is to achieve in his chosen profession. That's fine. It's a choice he has made. No problem with that at all. We all make those choices. But Russian, Canadian or whatever, it also means it isn't the type of competitive nature you hope to have on your team.
Actually, it may be the exact opposite of this. Kovalchuk was raised in Russia. Now what is the pinnacle to achieve for a Russian hockey player? Right; the Olympic gold. Now look at the track record: 2010 Canada, 2006 Sweden, 2002 Canada. You have to go back to 1998 to find a Russian gold.

In 2014 the Olympic tournament will be held in Russia. What better way to improve your chances, than to prepare at home and become an integral part of the core of the team that is forged together through repeated practice sessions for the national team spread out over the season?

My guess is that the desire to win the 2014 Olympic tournament may be a huge part of why Kovie decided to break his contract. He is sacrificing his current career to pursue his childhood dream, to reach the ultimate pinnacle in hockey, the Olympic gold. This is probably the best shot he will ever get at it.

And if so, don't be surprised if he dons the New Jersey jersey again next season.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7950
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 am

Per wrote:
My guess is that the desire to win the 2014 Olympic tournament may be a huge part of why Kovie decided to break his contract. He is sacrificing his current career to pursue his childhood dream, to reach the ultimate pinnacle in hockey, the Olympic gold. This is probably the best shot he will ever get at it.

And if so, don't be surprised if he dons the New Jersey jersey again next season.
I think that certainly plays a part. However, I don't think there's any real reason to stay in New Jersey. The team is in financial trouble, the fans/media are critical of him if he doesn't score 45 goals/year, and he makes less money than playing at home.

People will say he's left behind tens of millions. But his new contract will likely be $15-$20M per season, and who knows what kind of taxes he'll have to pay (if any).

Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so surprised. As long as he's okay with playing against inferior opponents in a lesser league, why wouldn't you want to play in your home country for more money?

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17721
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Per wrote: ....don't be surprised if he dons the New Jersey jersey again next season.
:lol:

Ummmm NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

His contract is poof gonzo alonzo.

The Devs still retain his NHL rights and would have to sign him to a new contract.

As Tant said, at that point the NHL would punish the Devs for Cap Circumvention.

Instead the Devs would no doubt choose to block Kovy's return to the NHL.

Until he's 35 at least, at which point he becomes a UFA.

Also, there have been hundreds of death-threats coming from Joisy of late....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17721
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so surprised. As long as he's okay with playing against inferior opponents in a lesser league...
People are surprised because a top player is okay with playing against inferior opponents in a lesser league. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so surprised. As long as he's okay with playing against inferior opponents in a lesser league...
People are surprised because a top player is okay with playing against inferior opponents in a lesser league. :mex:
For more money, and likely less physical contact too? Krazy, I say :D Krazy like a fox
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3676
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Per » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 am

It's now official that Kovalchuk has signed a four year contract with SKA St Petersburg.
Supposedly he may earn as much as 20 million USD per year...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Benjo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 am

Kovalchuk in New Jersey - 45% tax + 16-17% escrow which he may or may not get back depending on league revenues. (numbers are according to Elliotte Friedman's twitter)

Kovalchuk in Russia - 13% tax and he can be with family. (also according to Elliotte Friedman).


The decision for the Devils to keep the 29th pick at the 2012 draft looks pretty silly now that they could be a lottery team this season.

Post Reply