Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry

But...Luongos numbers are fine, actually they're excellent. This isn't my point.

Do you deny the fact that he's a huge question mark in any series? Do you really feel confident in his abilities to carry a team, even when they aren't necessarily the best team on the ice? This is what a true superstar goalie should be capable of. Hell, Luongo was that goalie. Somewhere along the way(Chicago probably) his confidence was eroded. Somehow he fell from a top tender to a mentally fragile one.

Is this even in dispute any more?
If you need air...call it in
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

My point is that it is in dispute for nearly EVERY goaltender that has EVER played the game. There is a reason it can be the most important position on the team. So yes there is always that doubt and always will be. But don't you think Chicago fans have that same doubt with Crawford? And they will continue to do so despite his fantastic numbers this spring. Up until the cup finals it was very much in debate if Thomas could be that guy. Heck the next season he started off with 3 bad games in the eventual series loss to the Caps. Is Quick a flash in the pan because he had a terrible regular season and series against Chicago?

On any given day and any given series a goaltender can struggle. Rarely are they completely stellar all the way through a playoff run...they will all typically have 5 or 6 poor to very poor games. The fact that Luongo's numbers are excellent despite the handful of meltdowns (and it is only a handful through 60+ playoff games), means his playoff goaltending is quite simply fine.

And really these same things already exist for Schneider. And once again i would have liked to see Schneider stay for hockey reasons but superb, mentally tough goaltender is not one of them. because we don't know if he is.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry

But...Luongos numbers are fine, actually they're excellent. This isn't my point.

Do you deny the fact that he's a huge question mark in any series? Do you really feel confident in his abilities to carry a team, even when they aren't necessarily the best team on the ice? This is what a true superstar goalie should be capable of. Hell, Luongo was that goalie. Somewhere along the way(Chicago probably) his confidence was eroded. Somehow he fell from a top tender to a mentally fragile one.

Is this even in dispute any more?
He's a question mark in any game. Not a series. Expect him to have 2 meltdowns in the playoffs. Pray they aren't in an elimination game. I don't consider game 7 against Boston to be a meltdown. The first goal was utterly bad. The team sold him out after that. One goal is not a meltdown. Meltdowns are what we saw in Boston and Chicago.

I don't think there has been a Canuck goaltender since McLean who didn't have me nervous in the playoffs.....it's not always the goaltenders, it's the damned puck luck of the Canucks. Look how many pucks got by Luongo against Nashville that went in off of a defender or bounced in off of him from behind the goalline even though he was playing it perfectly. Canuck-luck is a bitch.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

tantalum wrote:My point is that it is in dispute for nearly EVERY goaltender that has EVER played the game. There is a reason it can be the most important position on the team. So yes there is always that doubt and always will be. But don't you think Chicago fans have that same doubt with Crawford? And they will continue to do so despite his fantastic numbers this spring. Up until the cup finals it was very much in debate if Thomas could be that guy. Heck the next season he started off with 3 bad games in the eventual series loss to the Caps. Is Quick a flash in the pan because he had a terrible regular season and series against Chicago?

On any given day and any given series a goaltender can struggle. Rarely are they completely stellar all the way through a playoff run...they will all typically have 5 or 6 poor to very poor games. The fact that Luongo's numbers are excellent despite the handful of meltdowns (and it is only a handful through 60+ playoff games), means his playoff goaltending is quite simply fine.

And really these same things already exist for Schneider. And once again i would have liked to see Schneider stay for hockey reasons but superb, mentally tough goaltender is not one of them. because we don't know if he is.
+1

Not meaning to pile on here UDL, but it really isn't Luongo that causes me anxiety, rather the rest of the team. If you are looking for mentally fragile go back a few years to the days of Cloutier. Luongo might have a bad game or two here and there but overall he is a great tender and one of the best all time for the Canucks. His overall performance in the playoffs has been solid, with, admittedly, some hiccups here and there. But as Tant noted, such are to be expected of pretty much any tender, even the great ones. It's pretty obvious how this town got the label of a goalie graveyard as quick as we are to blame the goalie for the team's inadequacies. Personally, I don't see it and we will need to have a damn sight better team for him to be my primary worry in the playoffs or any other time.

With respect to RFAs, would love to see the team send out an offer sheet on Stewart, but doubt we have the cap space to actually make an offer the Blues won't match.
Last edited by DonCherry4PM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

DonCherry4PM wrote: With respect to RFAs, would love to see the team send out an offer sheet on Stewart, but doubt we have the cap space to actually make an offer the Blues won't match.
Before MG sends out any offer sheet, he should sign Tanev first to avoid Backes / Bernier 2.0.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 4m
RT @TGfireandice: Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement. This is not a fake.

Pretty crazy...

EDIT: Official release: http://ow.ly/mSwLM
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Anyone know what the cap implications are on this one?
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:Anyone know what the cap implications are on this one?
Corey Johnson ‏@cjohnson202 6m
Oh, so the devils only will have a cap hit of 250k for kovalchuk until 2025. Actually better for the devils that he retired now....
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Wow. NHL Bizarro world. This has been one of the strangest off seasons in recent memory. Alfredsson a Red Wing, Iggy a Bruin, Horton a Blue Jacket, Lecavalier a Flyer... now Kovalchuk walking away from 77 million dollars.

I'm sure he'll play in the KHL at some point and make some good dough there - but 77 millions dollars. Not sure I could do that.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

use this link and you'll see why he and the Devils have decided it's best for him to retire now!

http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/

He retires this offseason and the cap recapture is only $250K per year until 2025.

If he retired in 2019 the cap recapture penalty would be roughly $4.3M per year.

Because he was paid $6M per year the first 2 years of his deal and then $11M last year the cap hit of his contract was $6.7M so there isn't a large difference between his accrued salary and the cap hit the Devils we on the hook for.

So if he goes and plays a year in the KHL doesn't his current NHL contract then become void next season? Then he is free to un-retire and sign wherever he likes??

Sneaky Luo!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

He isn't walking away from $77 million( - taxes). He is likely walking toward $77 mil (or more) - less taxes.

It sure helps the Devils he does it now but if his heart isn't in it then his heart isn't in it.

I'm guessing trying to un-retire and join the NHL again will cause the NHL to invoke the mighty "if we think it is cap circumvention it IS cap circumvention" hammer.

My guess is we'll here he has signed a very large very long term deal in the KHL within the next few days.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Wow...Kovalchuk retires...what a shock. Guess with the money in the KHL now, other guys could follow.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

So what would it take for Luongo to retire?

His cap recapture penalty if he retired right now would be ~$825K til 2021-22.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Zedlee wrote:Wow...Kovalchuk retires...what a shock. Guess with the money in the KHL now, other guys could follow.
Only the guys whose competitive nature are less than desired in a NHL player.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:So what would it take for Luongo to retire?

His cap recapture penalty if he retired right now would be ~$825K til 2021-22.

Certainly better for us than his 5.3, better than a buyout for the owner, but the big difference is Kovie will play agin in the KHL. Luongo does not have those options, we he does I guess, if he wants to live in Russia.

If a player retires while under contract his rights are still owned by the club from which he retired. They can grant permission to him to release him but thats not a guaranteed thing, plus he has to sit out a minimum of one year.

I'm sure NJD will grant Kovie permission. They know he will not come back, they get out from under his contract and free up a ton of cap space and the cap recapture is minimal.

If Luongo retires we get the cap recapture of just under 900K but would have to release him in order for him to sign another NHL contract. Since he is under contract I'm not sure about waivers in that scenario.

Kovie is doing this because he wants to go home. He is tired of N. America and the NHL. He can make a tom of tax free coin with the KHL, play in the Olympics and raise his family in his country. He isn't trying to get out of a bad contract to be a FA. That is a huge difference with respect to what Luongo would be trying to do. So while it is an option for Luongo it would be risky. I actually have a ton of respect for Kovie for doing this now. He wanted to do it after the lockout but was talked into coming back for the shortened season. He is making a personal decision which will also end up being a good business decision.

NJD lost a lot when you consider the assets they gave up to trade for him, the loss of a first round pick for the first contract that was voided by the NHL, the loss of cap space that prevented them from retaining some FA and now the lost opportunity this FA period to sign big name or two. The cap penalty though is easy to swallow and moving forward they have a ton of cap room.
The only HW the Canucks need