match the kesler offer??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should the Canucks exercise their right to match Kesler's offer from the Flyers?

Heck yes
57%
Hell no
43%

Total votes: 49

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Re:

Post by rats19 »

Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
To be fair, most people thought Burke was nuts to draft Kesler instead of Tambellini... :lol:
This wasn't about the draft..offer sheet from clarkypoo at resign time..
I understood. I was just saying that not many people thought that Kesler was anything more than a third line centre from the day he was drafted until the offer sheet from Clarke.
OK gotcha... Was kind of relevant I suppose... If he carried his feelings from the draft to his post..I see the correlation, thnx
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Re:

Post by dbr »

rats19 wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:I know the Canucks have invested quite a bit in Kesler, but at this point I'd prefer the cap space and the second rounder.

As I recall, his projected career upside was 'elite' third liner. I think that's just too much money for that kind of player under the current CBA.
Wee bit of the ghosts wisdom...
Well in fairness, Kesler doesn't have ubermensch elite first liner DNA like Daniel does.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: match the kesler offer??

Post by vic »

And Kelser was rated as the best 23rd overall draft pick of all time on the NHL's official site...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsindex.htm?vi ... draft&pg=1

Interesting that Mike Richards who was taking directly after Kesler was rated as the best 24th overall draft pick of all time.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

As were Parise, Brown and Perry who all appear on the list as well.

It's not too surprising, 2003 was one of the deepest drafts ever..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: I was just saying that not many people thought that Kesler was anything more than a third line centre from the day he was drafted until the offer sheet from Clarke.
So what you're saying is... Clarkie is a genius! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Holy crap rats...

Bored that your dragging up ancient topics?? Like we don't beat everything to death around here already!! :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Holy crap rats...

Bored that your dragging up ancient topics?? Like we don't beat everything to death around here already!! :lol:
Digging up ghosts...lol
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

" :whistle: Ghostriders In The Sky"
It's not too surprising, 2003 was one of the deepest drafts ever..
Is it coincidence that it took place at the Gaylord Entertainment Center? :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I voted " heck yes" because I had the use if hindsight.. But back in 06 there was no such thing and 40% said " hell no"
This is about a guy who when healthy and motivated can single handedly take over a game..
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I looked back at the 2007 draft 2nd round. Turns out Philly's 2nd round pick was 31st overall, traded to Buffalo for Martin Biron.

The pick was used to select T.J. Brennan. Twelve spots later went PK Subban. The Canucks had 61st overall which they traded to LA for Sopel, who selected Wayne Simmonds. The Canucks' lone pick in the second round was Taylor Ellington at 33rd.

I don't know if even today I'd trade Kesler straight up for PK, but it would be a close call. Right-shooting centers don't grow on trees, but neither do PPG right-shooting defensemen. Plus, we could one day have a Brothers defensive pairing!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ESQ wrote:Plus, we could one day have a Brothers defensive pairing!
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I could see a day and I don't think too far away where Kesler is traded for a
good young player. The sedins will leave the league as Canucks but definitely see the likes
of Kesler and Bieksa in other uni's. if the Canucks game keeps dipping those two guys will get traded, maybe Burrows. They could fetch us good assets to kick start the Horvat era of Canuck hockey
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If we are bent on changing the culture of the team ( and I think culture includes how we get along with the refs), I think we HAVE to trade Burrows..

With luck, Kassian can take his spot, and if Kassian can make some some space for them, they could maintain a 65-70 point average for another couple years..

Still need a second line playmaker to play with Booth an Kesler in the trade though.... Those 2 shooters need someone to get them the puck I the offensive zone
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:I could see a day and I don't think too far away where Kesler is traded for a
good young player. The sedins will leave the league as Canucks but definitely see the likes
of Kesler and Bieksa in other uni's. if the Canucks game keeps dipping those two guys will get traded, maybe Burrows. They could fetch us good assets to kick start the Horvat era of Canuck hockey
Just for the sake of the discussion, however unlikely this would ever happen yeah Kesler no doubt could get us a Mike Richards deal/value (Simmonds and Schenn) for sure, looking at teams who would love RK, half the league, there are plenty of options to get this done.

But more than likely I see Booth getting dealt with first next offseason, and there's still the Edler remote chance that he gets traded for an injection of youth/cap space.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Actually, after the sedins are up after next season, I won't mind if we just trade Kes. Get something good for him while he's still worth something. :D