2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by tantalum »

Penner is a good playoff player as he seems to try. In the regular season he is pretty much a waste of a roster spot.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Penned was a complete floater on every team he played for until he ended up on LA and Sutter took the reigns. Since then he's been a completely different player, particularly in the playoffs.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Might work out here, Penner may like that Cafe Crepe place in Vancouver.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:Might work out here, Penner may like that Cafe Crepe place in Vancouver.
And Tortorella is probably as much of an asshole as Sutter is.....so maybe he'd be motivated. You know he would show up for every game against the Kings if they let him go.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Might work out here, Penner may like that Cafe Crepe place in Vancouver.
And Tortorella is probably as much of an asshole as Sutter is.....so maybe he'd be motivated. You know he would show up for every game against the Kings if they let him go.
If we can play a motivated Penner and Kassian in our top 6 it would be a huge advantage.

Big if though.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd rather not go after Penner unless it is a one year deal. I really think the team, the fans, the management are primed for a re-set, or re-tool. Let the kids play.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'd rather not go after Penner unless it is a one year deal. I really think the team, the fans, the management are primed for a re-set, or re-tool. Let the kids play.
I would seriously love to see the following for the first nine games.....if possible.

Daniel - Hand - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian
Weise - Richardson - Hansen

Let the kids play, and let them play together. Let us get a glimpse of the future.....if it works.

How awesome would it be if both of our 1st round picks could crack the line up this year and actually have some real chemistry with Kassian!

You could shuffle the lines a bit too, with Kassian getting time with the Sedins, Hanen skating with either Higgin and Kesler or Burrows and Kesler in a shutdown role at times. Give the kids some sheltered minutes and offensive zone starts to build some confidence, have they learn the defensive side of the game in practice etc. But above all, spend time with them between shifts and give them specific objectives and assignments. Take a page from Babcock's book this season. And if it's not working at the 9 game mark, then send Shinkaruk and Horvat back to junior for the year.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

On a 2-year deal, who'd you rather: Penner or Morrow?

If both could fit under the cap it would be similar to Sammy + Torres - veteran wingers, could move up and down the line-up. There's a hole at center though, as Schroeder or Richardson won't replace pre-injury Manny.

Some people here some on the side of "cheap vets to fill in until Horvat/Shink are ready, while others (like HW) would rather see prospects cycled through the lineup in the hopes that someone sticks, or at least furthers their development.

I'd prefer Morrow myself, in spite of losing a step he's an ideal 3rd liner - scoring touch, hits, fights, total effort at all times, can play PP and PK.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Sutter has scratched Penner many many many times. Sutter has motivated him more than others but Penner is still a lazy player in the regular season.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Mëds wrote:
I would laugh my ass off if Lu had amazing #s in October.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Benjo wrote:
Mëds wrote:

I hope Luo comes here with a "screw you all" attitude and plays for himself. He has put too much pressure on himself to be THE player for this team and to live up to everyone's impossible standards. Now it's time for him to loosen up and play like he doesn't give a damn. Then his numbers will shoot up.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benjo wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Oh, not saying this helps our GA numbers at all. LOL!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote:On a 2-year deal, who'd you rather: Penner or Morrow?

If both could fit under the cap it would be similar to Sammy + Torres - veteran wingers, could move up and down the line-up. There's a hole at center though, as Schroeder or Richardson won't replace pre-injury Manny.

Some people here some on the side of "cheap vets to fill in until Horvat/Shink are ready, while others (like HW) would rather see prospects cycled through the lineup in the hopes that someone sticks, or at least furthers their development.

I'd prefer Morrow myself, in spite of losing a step he's an ideal 3rd liner - scoring touch, hits, fights, total effort at all times, can play PP and PK.
Morrow would be the 5th best forward here which would put him on the 2nd line.

No way he comes here as Gillis has hitched his wagon to Father Booth and the biter. No cap space.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ESQ wrote:On a 2-year deal, who'd you rather: Penner or Morrow?

Morrow would be the 5th best forward here which would put him on the 2nd line.

No way he comes here as Gillis has hitched his wagon to Father Booth and the biter. No cap space.
It all depends in what Morrow wants - if he would take $2 to $2.5 million it's doable. If he's healthy I really like his game, but he's very brittle as the years of hard playing have taken their toll.

I really wonder if Horvat has a chance to make the team - he's been lauded for his defensive game (among the best if not the best in the draft) and he's supposedly a huge kid, built like a tank. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick as the 3rd line center. Wouldn't be a bad thing with Higgins and Hansen on his wings, two vets to help the kid along while he figures it out.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Diehard1 wrote: I really wonder if Horvat has a chance to make the team - he's been lauded for his defensive game (among the best if not the best in the draft) and he's supposedly a huge kid, built like a tank. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick as the 3rd line center. Wouldn't be a bad thing with Higgins and Hansen on his wings, two vets to help the kid along while he figures it out.
I highly doubt it. Most of the time, the defensive side of the game is the hardest to learn. I could understand if the kid could score, it's a calculated trade-off (offense worth more than defensive liability). But asking him to come right out of Junior and try to out-battle professionals in a bottom-6 role is potentially confidence shattering.

I think Richardson and Lain will be the bottom-2 centres this season. It's nice to restock the prospect pool with Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado etc. But we shouldn't get carried away into thinking they are NHL-ready right out of the draft. I would guess we'll see Jensen and Corrado next season at points. Gaunce and maybe Horvat getting a sniff the following year (2014-15).