Heritage Classic Thread (March 2, 2014 vs Ottawa)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Heritage Classic Thread (March 2, 2014 vs Ottawa)

Post by 5thhorseman »

Geez, March 2nd is hardly bound to be a cold day! What, does Bettman think we live in igloos 12 months a year?

As for the fans who get to go to a game for once, I hope they have the foresight to borrow a pair of binoculars. I can't think of a better way to turn people off the game than trying to spot the puck at that distance!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

5thhorseman wrote:Geez, March 2nd is hardly bound to be a cold day! What, does Bettman think we live in igloos 12 months a year?

As for the fans who get to go to a game for once, I hope they have the foresight to borrow a pair of binoculars. I can't think of a better way to turn people off the game than trying to spot the puck at that distance!
It is just another event for most "fans". I don't think they care much about the actual game... ;)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Meh. We could riot...

That would make the event special!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:If by "fans" you mean...owners?
Nope, the "fans" who show up at Rogers Arena talking and texting on the phones instead of watching the game. "Fans" who can actually afford to go all the time but don't really care much about hockey...
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Jovocop wrote:It is just another event for most "fans". I don't think they care much about the actual game... ;)
Agreed. The whole thing is just a gimmick, in my view. There's nothing "Heritage" or "Classic" about it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can't frickin' wait! :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If it's cheap enough for a dad to take his kids to their first NHL game, then it will have some use.

If the team is smart, they'll create a 'hockey carnival' atmosphere and give the fans something to get excited about, because the game isn't going to be that good.

The hockey will suck on the slushy ice. Players will take it easy to avoid injury. Anyone expecting to watch the game will need binoculars (or a telescope).
5thhorseman wrote:There's nothing "Heritage" or "Classic" about it.
^ Couldn't agree more.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

You mean you guys haven't figured out that going to games is all about being there and being seen?

I don't see why its a bad thing. They will have as much temperature control as they possibly can. Of course its a gimmick, but its a neat spectacle and IMO after a season like the last one, the NHL needs spectacles to sell its product again.

Just look at it as a big outdoor game, and hopefully geared toward kids/family, and nothing more.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

ORCA wrote:Just look at it as a big outdoor game, and hopefully geared toward kids/family, and nothing more.
Yeah, I can see that, but when my kid figures out when the hockey season starts (he's 3 and still thinks the Canucks are playing) it's doubtful whether I would introduce him to the game in this way. If theres' lots of side attractions, especially the participatory kind, I can see it being a good thing.

As for living up to the Heritage Classic name, give me a game without advertising on every available surface, canned music at every break, and beer at 80's prices!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Brought to you by the same people who thought it was a good idea to hold the winter Olympics in Vancouver. Having said that it was a smashing success, these spring Olympics we had, but the same mentality.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Cornuck wrote:If it's cheap enough for a dad to take his kids to their first NHL game, then it will have some use.

If the team is smart, they'll create a 'hockey carnival' atmosphere and give the fans something to get excited about, because the game isn't going to be that good.
Are you joking? The cheapest seat for the 2011 Heritage Classic in Calgary was $100. Hopefully there will be a 'hockey carnival' atmosphere as you've said, and something for families to do outside the stadium for cheap, because no family is going to be able to afford seats.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

My first reaction? "What a stupid idea." So within ten minutes my son bounds up and says "Have you heard? The Heritage Classic is going to be at BC Place Stadium - we're getting tickets right?"

I have binoculars, but only one pair. Maybe they'll sell cheap plastic ones featuring the stick and rink logo for $65.00 to go along with the $10 beer and $150.00 nosebleed seats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BurningBeard wrote:
Cornuck wrote:If it's cheap enough for a dad to take his kids to their first NHL game, then it will have some use.

Are you joking? The cheapest seat for the 2011 Heritage Classic in Calgary was $100.
Fuck that idea then. Fuck the NHL too for that matter. :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

Are you joking? The cheapest seat for the 2011 Heritage Classic in Calgary was $100.
Fuck that idea then. Fuck the NHL too for that matter. :?
But they had another lockout ...... yknow to keep costs down ...... cause the league wasn't making enough money.

:bang:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess I'm the only one who thinks havinga hockey game in that shitty, greasy bubble is a bad idea. :scowl:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”