2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote:Disagree coco, they were stymied in the neutral zone with turnovers between their own blueline and centre. The transition through the neutral zone stunk most of the year.
A great deal of that can be attributed to only having one or two NHL calibre centres dressed for a given game and missing wingers like Booth who are good with the puck through the neutral zone.

There was a lot of bank it out to the neutral zone and dumping it in to the offensive zone without good puck retrieval.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Hey Mëds you oughta change your name to Murray Pessimism,

What's with the gloom? There's Chicago and LA that this team split games with last year and there's everyone else.

Listening to you one woukd think Gilly sat on his ass with a sad sack non playoff team last year...
Out in 5 to LA. No change.

Out in 4 to San Jose. Slight changes, mostly behind the bench.

Our two most inconsistent players, Bieksa and Edler, are still here. If the new coach can get these guys playing the way we know the CAN play, then this team will still be very good. If they are still as inconsistent as they have been, then the team will be one of the wild cards.

There were injuries and distractions, no question that they played a part, but I just don't think this team is a lock for a top 3 spot.
That's why I think you should change your name to Murray for this coming season :)
seriuosly though, in out division is LA and San Jose and we split games with them last year, rounding out our division are Anaheim, Phoenix, Edmonton and Calgary... It doesn't look like we're minnows swimming in a big pool to me. I don't buy that because we blew a tire in the playoffs means that we all of a sudden suck. There are plenty of teams that have cycled up and down.
I guess we'll see though, it's proverbially why they play the games...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

No Blum...
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Agent Gerry Johannson says #Canucks are out on John Blum but still poking around Marc Fistric.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

coco_canuck wrote:
Topper wrote:Disagree coco, they were stymied in the neutral zone with turnovers between their own blueline and centre. The transition through the neutral zone stunk most of the year.
A great deal of that can be attributed to only having one or two NHL calibre centres dressed for a given game and missing wingers like Booth who are good with the puck through the neutral zone.

There was a lot of bank it out to the neutral zone and dumping it in to the offensive zone without good puck retrieval.
I attribute it mainly to the shortage of right handed defenders (or lefties who can play that side).
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Apparently Gillis & Co are kicking Mark Fistric’s tires. Fistric is a big, physical, aggressive bottom pairing d-man. His cap hit last year was $1.5M. Being a defenseman the Canucks covet, ff course he shoots left, but does anybody know if he can play his off side?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Our two most inconsistent players, Bieksa and Edler, are still here. If the new coach can get these guys playing the way we know the CAN play, then this team will still be very good. If they are still as inconsistent as they have been, then the team will be one of the wild cards.

There were injuries and distractions, no question that they played a part, but I just don't think this team is a lock for a top 3 spot.
That's why I think you should change your name to Murray for this coming season :)
seriuosly though, in out division is LA and San Jose and we split games with them last year, rounding out our division are Anaheim, Phoenix, Edmonton and Calgary... It doesn't look like we're minnows swimming in a big pool to me. I don't buy that because we blew a tire in the playoffs means that we all of a sudden suck. There are plenty of teams that have cycled up and down.
The Murray comment.....whoosh. Don't get it.

If you think we split with San Jose last year you should go look again.....0-2-1. 1 of a possible 6 points.

Like I said, I don't think this team is a top 6 in the West anymore.....at least I don't think it's a given like it has been the last few seasons. That's all. The SHOULD make the playoffs. It won't shock me if they don't.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote: I attribute it mainly to the shortage of right handed defenders (or lefties who can play that side).
That's fair.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

The Murray comment.....whoosh. Don't get it.

If you think we split with San Jose last year you should go look again.....0-2-1. 1 of a possible 6 points.

Like I said, I don't think this team is a top 6 in the West anymore.....at least I don't think it's a given like it has been the last few seasons. That's all. The SHOULD make the playoffs. It won't shock me if they don't.
Okay I kinda forgot they only got to a shoot out with SJ once but they did finish ahead of them in the standings.
I agree that by now nothing the Canucks do is particularly shocking, however it's only the post season that's been an issue the past 5 years so I'm expecting a same old same old start to the season and its way to early to tell what the team will look like or play like come next April

Murray pessimism... http://ceo.ca/murray-pezim/
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Okay, how about Dustin Penner? :drink:

Canucks need more size in their top 9 and Penner sticks up for his teammates.

He'd easily pop 20+ goals here if given time with the twins on the PP.

Rumour has it he's been offered less than $3mil on a one year contract.

To keep the cap-hit low, I say offer him a 6-year deal at $2.5mil per. :mex:

If he is crappy after 4 years or so, just buy him out.

He lives in California, so perhaps Vancouver is close enough, right time zone enough?

And yeah, Canucks will be spending about 50 days of the season in California....

YAY OR NAY?
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Frikken eh yay....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:Okay, how about Dustin Penner? :drink:

Canucks need more size in their top 9 and Penner sticks up for his teammates.

He'd easily pop 20+ goals here if given time with the twins on the PP.

Rumour has it he's been offered less than $3mil on a one year contract.

To keep the cap-hit low, I say offer him a 6-year deal at $2.5mil per. :mex:

If he is crappy after 4 years or so, just buy him out.

He lives in California, so perhaps Vancouver is close enough, right time zone enough?

And yeah, Canucks will be spending about 50 days of the season in California....

YAY OR NAY?
A team with both Kassian and Penner in the line-up might be too much in the area of "Big Wingers who are infamous at disappearing on a regular basis" for one team to handle.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

a third line of:

Penner - Schroeder - Kassian

I like that shit.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: A team with both Kassian and Penner in the line-up might be too much in the area of "Big Wingers who are infamous at disappearing on a regular basis" for one team to handle.
That's where Torts comes in (you smurf-lover you). :P
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

SKYO wrote:a third line of:

Penner - Schroeder - Kassian

I like that shit.
Hmmm, shades of Momesso, Ronning, Sandlak. Great line except for Ronning's blind passes from behind the net.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Penner is ok and he's proably better than most of the wingers we have. He has a nice physical package, but he's a bit like Taylor Pyatt... a gentle giant. :(