2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by FAN »

Diehard1 wrote:Booth gets a ton of flack from Nuck fans, but aside from a few games when he came back from tearing his groin (ouch) this season he's been as advertised. He's physical, drives the net, takes a lot of shots and doesn't score on a lot of them. He's a guy who can drive a line, whether it's the 2nd or 3rd doesn't matter.
As a Canuck, Booth hasn't been the same since Porter kneed him. Booth as advertised would be healthy enough to contribute 22-23 goals and 40 points.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

darren wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Having Booth healthy is like getting a shitty ufa.
fyp.... Too bad he got hurt. Would have liked to seen him bought out as well.
How soon we forget that he scored 15G in 51 games two years ago with the Canucks. If that's the kind of production we get, that's worth 4.2m on the open market easily.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that we might want to keep that second buyout slot open for Burrows.
I guess I'm just not a fan of the guy. Certain things he does like using his speed, driving the net, going to the dirty areas and playing somewhat physical are all a plus. His tunnel vision, lack of defensive awareness and incosistency are definite minuses. He is a player with a few warts for sure and he can't seem to stay healthy which is the biggest red flag for myself. He has had three major injuries in less than two seasons with Vancouver, not to mention he has concussion issues in his past.

I'm not sure if he would sign here but if it was my money I would much rather have Brenden Morrow at 4.2 million than David Booth. I'm sure I could find a couple of more players on the open market that could be a better fit for this team than Booth.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

If, and it may be a very big if, Booth stays healthy he is the guy the canucks need in the playoffs. He certainly has warts but players with warts seem to make $4 mil nowadays. I think we will see him back on his 20+ goal pace next season and if so the canucks will be better for it....if he can stay healthy.

On a personal level I don't like the guy (not a fan of the vocal religious types...don't care about the hunting). But as a guy with his tools he can be effective as a player.

Not sure Morrow is a $4+ mil player anymore but I'd take him on the team. Not quite old enough for the 35+ bonus unfortunately. Hey maybe they can sign him and between the two (Booth and Morrow) they might get 82 games total!

They MAY be able to fit him in at the $2.5-3 mil mark but it would be tough and would be relying on LTIR room the entire year.
Last edited by tantalum on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

On Booth, I don't know. I'm of the view that this team has a top six forward problem and he's more likely to play like one than Morrow or the other guys in that pay grade.

If you could buy out Booth and use the remaining space we have already to bring in a $5-6m player that's an upgrade but even those guys won't be consistent producers.

One player I would definitely rather have that's left out there is Grabovski as he'd give us three very solid centres, but it puts Chris Higgins in your top six in all likelihood and Grabovski is smaller and older than Booth.

Still, it would give the team numerous options and far more versatility. And given MG was a compliance buyout at $5.5m per he will probably end up on a significantly cheaper deal and he's capable of being a bargain at that rate.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

you can't compliance buy out Booth until next summer. He's hurt.

I also think if you wanted to, he is still a guy that can be moved based on some of the recent signings. (Boyd gordon at $3 mil? seriosuly? he's never scored 30 point for goodness sakes).

But in order to do that you need to find that $5.5-6 mil player. Grabovski may be that type of guy but I still wonder about the wisdom of moving Kesler to the wing such a move would necessitate. Grabovski did well in his defensive matchups but he isn't a Selke winner. Not convinced Grabovski in the end would be any better quality wise though it would be a shakeup.

Seems to me that the apparent goal this year of getting the kids icetime while keeping the core intact is to get through the cap crunch and provide a better base from which to work from next season when the cap will skyrocket.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I still want to see what Boothy can do when 100%

We have never seen this in Canuck land.

He's out best bet IMESHO to have a bonafide game changer in the line up.
If you need air...call it in
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Canucks sign Mike Santorelli out of Florida. More depth at centre.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Groovypippin wrote:Canucks sign Mike Santorelli out of Florida. More depth at centre.
Had a 20 goal season once... with Booth! Put him on the second line and move Kesler to the wing.

Meh... local kid though... could give him a spark.
2011..... the one that got away.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Groovypippin wrote:Canucks sign Mike Santorelli out of Florida. More depth at centre.
Comets new #1 centre
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Had a 20 goal season once... with Booth! Put him on the second line and move Kesler to the wing.

Meh... local kid though... could give him a spark.
:o Another fuck'n Wop?!....well, they seem to be appeasing RoyalDude...how can he hate his own kind?! :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One thing that MG said yesterday I found interesting. He was asked if he was worried someone would offer sheet Tanev. He said his usual no we are not blah blah blah. But he did add that they have kept enough money back in reserve to be in a position to address any outcome. In other words they were aware enough that it could happen and wanted to make sure they had the coin to match an offer sheet. Just made me realize that the Tanev not being re-signed hampers them in two ways. One, do they need to replace him on D and 2 they can't spend all they have until he is locked up.

A number of players signed yesterday who would have looked good on the Canucks but I still can't my mind around cap and term.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So St. Louis takes both Lappy and Roy?!?! Strange signings for them I think.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Roy replaces McDonald
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Pouliot would of been a better add that Richardson but I think he may have left money on the table to play for the NYR.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote:you can't compliance buy out Booth until next summer. He's hurt.

I also think if you wanted to, he is still a guy that can be moved based on some of the recent signings. (Boyd gordon at $3 mil? seriosuly? he's never scored 30 point for goodness sakes).
I know tant. I literally did mean "if you could" as in if it were possible. If it is possible to trade Booth.. I'd think about that if there's another move lined up to bring in a more effective player.
But in order to do that you need to find that $5.5-6 mil player. Grabovski may be that type of guy but I still wonder about the wisdom of moving Kesler to the wing such a move would necessitate. Grabovski did well in his defensive matchups but he isn't a Selke winner. Not convinced Grabovski in the end would be any better quality wise though it would be a shakeup.
It's no guarantee. I don't think you necessarily have to move Kesler to the wing as you could potentially slide Grabovski or Schroeder over.. but even then I'm less stuck on the idea that Kesler has to play center than I used to be.

It'd be a fair bit of flexibility though. Grabovski and Schroeder could play together on a soft minutes offensive line with each one taking draws on their strong side, leaving Kesler to take on the tough matchups; Kesler could play on Schroeder's wing (or vice versa) and Grabovski could take on the tough matchups; the team could go with Grabovski, Kesler and Schroeder each centering their own line with Schroeder on the fourth line between a couple of big bruisers.

And of course if/when Kesler goes down the team can still ice three respectable lines.

Anyway I don't think it's realistic.. in fact I started down this road talking about how Grabovski is pretty much the only guy left I'd dump Booth for at this point.
Seems to me that the apparent goal this year of getting the kids icetime while keeping the core intact is to get through the cap crunch and provide a better base from which to work from next season when the cap will skyrocket.
Yeah. And fair enough. I thought before that this offseason would be a real crossroads and barring something like a big free agent signing it would appear that Gillis has made his choice and will hope the existing core still has enough to offer when some of the younger players begin to do more than tread water at the NHL level.