Lapierre Signs with Blues

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Lapierre Signs with Blues

Post by Diehard1 »

Patience people. There's not much out there to go after anyway, why throw a bunch of cash and term at a guy who isn't a huge upgrade?

I'm looking forward to some youth on this team. We've had it too good for too long, I remember the days of the 90's when the team was up and coming. It was the best time to watch the team that I can remember.

Also keep in mind that nobody thought the signings of Sammy and Manny were much when they were completed. The eam went to the cup final that year.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote:Exactly Danny Boy. Small bottom six is getting no where.

10lbs and 4 inches Tant, tell that to your wife.
6'2" - 6'0" = 4???
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Diehard1 wrote: We've had it too good for too long,
Seriously?
I remember the days of the 90's when the team was up and coming. It was the best time to watch the team that I can remember.
I liked winning President's trophies, being the best team in the league and going to the Final. Setting records in every franchise category. But to each their own.
Also keep in mind that nobody thought the signings of Sammy and Manny were much when they were completed. The eam went to the cup final that year.
Sammy and Manny played absolutely no role in the playoffs the year we went to the Final. In fact they weren't even playing. Never mind the fact that they were big money signings compared to the scrubs we just aquired. Strange examples to use.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:
Topper wrote:Exactly Danny Boy. Small bottom six is getting no where.

10lbs and 4 inches Tant, tell that to your wife.
6'2" - 6'0" = 4???
Since you have your shit in a knot (from Hockey DB)
5'11" 191lbs vs 6'2" 207lbs

3 inches and 16 lbs runtier.

As I say, so much for a tougher bottom six the way this deal went.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

or if you go by NHl.com 2 inches and 10 lbs. Hockeydb.com tends not to be updated much past draft height and weight.

I don't have anything in a knot. You complained about getting smaller and apparently believed it was drastically smaller. It's not. 2 inches and 10 lbs. Not a big deal.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

This chick told me it's not about the inches, it's how you use it.

Fuck that lying bitch.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If you look around, you'll find Brad as low as 178lb (probably draft) and the league numbers are always inflated for smaller players.

Stiil doesn't counter the lack of toughness.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: We've had it too good for too long,
Seriously?
I remember the days of the 90's when the team was up and coming. It was the best time to watch the team that I can remember.
I liked winning President's trophies, being the best team in the league and going to the Final. Setting records in every franchise category. But to each their own.
Sammy and Manny played absolutely no role in the playoffs the year we went to the Final. In fact they weren't even playing. Never mind the fact that they were big money signings compared to the scrubs we just aquired. Strange examples to use.
I'm sorry, I forgot that there are a bunch of teams that win the President's trophy every year - right? It doesn't happen, so if that's what you're expecting prepare to be disappointed.

Sammy and Manny both played in the playoffs that year, but also had big roles during the season to help in those President's trophies that you love so much. My point is that nobody thought a damn thing when they we signed them, and they played big role that year. Would you prefer I used the Higgins trade? He played a big role that playoffs, and again nobody thought a damn thing about that tade when it happened. Lapierre trade too.

Now St. Loo signs Roy - they've got major cap issues, no way they can sign both Pietrangelo and Stewart while keeping everyone they have. If I'm Gillis the offer sheet for Stewart is a real possibility.

It's the beginning of July. Last time I checked the season started in October. Let's at least wait a couple of weeks before we shit all ove Gillis as per usual. If nothing else is done I will join in the shitstorm, but I'm willing to at least wait to see what happens.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

keep up the good work Diehard1, I'll by you a banana split.

ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Diehard1 wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot that there are a bunch of teams that win the President's trophy every year - right? It doesn't happen, so if that's what you're expecting prepare to be disappointed.

Sammy and Manny both played in the playoffs that year, but also had big roles during the season to help in those President's trophies that you love so much. My point is that nobody thought a damn thing when they we signed them, and they played big role that year. Would you prefer I used the Higgins trade? He played a big role that playoffs, and again nobody thought a damn thing about that tade when it happened.
You're right. Nobody thought Manny Malhotra was one of the best faceoff men in the league. That's certainly not why we completely dominated FO stats across the board in that year. :crazy:

Sammy was certainly not acquired as a supporting scorer that absolutely loved to shoot the puck from all kinds of places (granted he stopped that for some reason).

Chris Higgins is another guy we definitely did not sign based on any kind of reputation of a solid 2 way player with tendencies to go on explosive scoring streaks.

These guys got signed, and performed - to a degree - in exactly the way they were advertised. Who is this Nobody person, and why isn't he doing his homework? :|
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I remember Richardson being very effective against us in the playoffs, if he plays like that on a regular basis I don't care if he's smaller than Lappy.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

ORCA wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Sammy and Manny both played in the playoffs that year, but also had big roles during the season to help in those President's trophies that you love so much. My point is that nobody thought a damn thing when they we signed them, and they played big role that year. Would you prefer I used the Higgins trade? He played a big role that playoffs, and again nobody thought a damn thing about that tade when it happened.
You're right. Nobody thought Manny Malhotra was one of the best faceoff men in the league. That's certainly not why we completely dominated FO stats across the board in that year. :crazy:

Sammy was certainly not acquired as a supporting scorer that absolutely loved to shoot the puck from all kinds of places (granted he stopped that for some reason).

Chris Higgins is another guy we definitely did not sign based on any kind of reputation of a solid 2 way player with tendencies to go on explosive scoring streaks.

These guys got signed, and performed - to a degree - in exactly the way they were advertised. Who is this Nobody person, and why isn't he doing his homework? :|
From the content of this post I'm guessing you weren't watching much hockey back then other than the Canucks. Higgins was awful in Florida, everyone thought he had lost it. Sammy was an under the radar signing, and everyone thought Gillis overpaid for Manny.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Diehard1 wrote:
ORCA wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Who is this Nobody person, and why isn't he doing his homework? :|
From the content of this post I'm guessing you weren't watching much hockey back then other than the Canucks. Higgins was awful in Florida, everyone thought he had lost it. Sammy was an under the radar signing, and everyone thought Gillis overpaid for Manny.

Again, who's nobody? Or who's everybody?

I think we're on the same side of the coin here...I agree they stepped in - hardly as blockbuster deals - and had big contributions towards the Canucks' success, but I don't think that "everyone" pass those signings over like it was nothing.

Perhaps moreso in the case of Chris Higgins, but I don't think you can put Malholtra in this discription. A smart, 2 way depth centre with an exceptional face off record doesn't go unnoticed by anyone.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

The size and toughness the Canucks lack in the top six will only be answered by players like Gaunce, Horvat and Lain making the team and being impact players.

As I said in the other thread, I'm not sure if any of those guys are ready for everyday roles just yet, but until they are ready, this team isn't a real contender.

Richardson is an effective 4th line C and Santorelli brings depth to slightly improve the forward depth of the team, but they're not difference makers.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

ORCA wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Who is this Nobody person, and why isn't he doing his homework? :|
[/quote]

Again, who's nobody? Or who's everybody?

I think we're on the same side of the coin here...I agree they stepped in - hardly as blockbuster deals - and had big contributions towards the Canucks' success, but I don't think that "everyone" pass those signings over like it was nothing.

Perhaps moreso in the case of Chris Higgins, but I don't think you can put Malholtra in this discription. A smart, 2 way depth centre with an exceptional face off record doesn't go unnoticed by anyone.[/quote]

Got it - think I misunderstood your last post. You understand my point, just trying to say we shouldn't judge signings or the lack thereof until we see what happens. I'm underwhelmed so far, though I wouldn't have wanted Clarkson or a few other guys at the deals they received either.

Lots of good players left, Gillis isn't done.