Lapierre Signs with Blues

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Lapierre Signs with Blues

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Oh Nooees, LapDawg no more! Another one of my favorite monickers gone. *LOL* It's over, there goes our chance for the Cup. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Lapierre Signs with Blues

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Oh Nooees, LapDawg no more! Another one of my favorite monickers gone. *LOL* It's over, there goes our chance for the Cup. :lol:
His schtick outshone his play. That won't fly with Torts. Put up or shut up, Lapierre couldn't do either.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Sticking out his fingers for a bite against Boston will go down as one of the funniest moments in Canuck lore...for me anyway.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I don't understand why Gillis didn't re-sign Lapierre. If it's either or, I don't see Richardson as an upgrade. I guess change was necessary.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

FAN wrote:I don't understand why Gillis didn't re-sign Lapierre. If it's either or, I don't see Richardson as an upgrade. I guess change was necessary.

I had heard he wanted a 3-4 year deal close to the 3 million range. I would suspect he was on very thin ice here. He was an AV guy, AV vouched for him at the trade deadline. With AV gone would suspect t that he was not a MG guy and they juts walk away after hearing the demands. The fact that they didn't counter speaks volumes to me. They just didn't want him back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

No doubt this is a part of that 'culture change' Gillis was talking about. I think they signed Richardson for slightly more than what Lappy got in St. Louis, which tells me this wasn't about money. They just didn't want him.

I didn't mind Lappy when he was a Canuck. As a fourth-liner, he was pretty much what you wanted. I liked the fact that he was trying to yap less.

I think he just couldn't shake his reputation, and I think Gillis is trying to change the image of the team in that regard.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Really not much of a loss either way, assuming Gillis has another 4th liner or two lined up. A guy like Sestito is fine as the 13th forward but shouldn't be playing a regular shift, barring a shock improvement in his game.

I liked what Lappy brought but a change was needed. I'd still like to see a high energy guy like Skille, or a banger brought in for the 4th line as well. It's still early in free agency and most teams are done, hopefully there will be a few bargain signings coming up to compete for spots on the team.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Yep this is the culture change part of things. Or at least the start of it.

They went with Richardson over LaPierre and reputation was likely a big reason. Well that and I think Richardson will prove to be the better player for this club. A more consistent effort from what I've seen through the years. In reality LaPierre outside of the cup run has struggled to contribute as a canuck. This past season he was terrible.

I do wonder what will happen with both Burrows and Kesler. Gillis made a comment at the end of the year about Burrows that was something like "he hasn't said a word when getting called for over two years and he still has the reputation. What more can be done?"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Canucks replaced him with a guy once beat up by Teemu Selanne.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The guy beat up by Teemu Selanne replaces the guy beat up/drew with Petr Prucha and Mike Comrie.

Richardson-Selanne fight wasn't really caught on camera so can't really call it one way or the other. Richardson definitely threw more though. People gave it to Selanne because well why not?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm not defending Lappy, but I'm not impressed with going smaller with Richardson.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote:I'm not defending Lappy, but I'm not impressed with going smaller with Richardson.
meh. It's 10 lbs and what he lacks in hitting compared to LaPierre he makes up for not running out of position to take the late hit. LaPierre hit but that was about it and his hits did not tend to benefit the team the past season or so. It will also be a benefit to the team that they don't have to kill the LaPierre reputation penalty every second game.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They both suck. Where's the scrotum factor ffs?
Beat up by Selanne? Serious?

Come on Gillis. Get some sleep and do your damn job
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Exactly Danny Boy. Small bottom six is getting no where.

10lbs and 4 inches Tant, tell that to your wife.

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:10lbs and 4 inches Tant,
:shock:

Thats some serious girth.
2011..... the one that got away.