2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by dangler »

we're witnessing the end of the Sedin era here in Canucksville Reefer 2.
The organisation knows they have to get a new 1st line soon,but between the salary cap,long term contracts and NMC/NTC's.we're stuck with the core for a little longer than most would prefer.
The good news is : it is a talented core that wants to win, Maybe torts can motivate success before he gets stale,
and there will be opportunities for a prospect or 3 to make the line-up and give the rest of the team some much needed inspiration.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:Having Booth healthy is like getting a shitty ufa.

fyp.... Too bad he got hurt. Would have liked to seen him bought out as well. Real bang up job on the roster today for Eye Bags. Gets a small 4th line centre and a runt of a D man who makes Tanev look like a punishing player. I guess one can say his hands were tied by having little cap space. Well, he's the one who tied the fucking knot.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Why was there a lockout?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:Why was there a lockout?
No shit.

Clarkson and Clowe are nearly getting paid Sedinery money. :but:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

CFP! wrote:
No shit.

Clarkson and Clowe are nearly getting paid Sedinery money. :but:
Cripes each Sedin could get $7M the way some GM are throwing money around on FA.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

fyp.... Too bad he got hurt. Would have liked to seen him bought out as well. Real bang up job on the roster today for Eye Bags. Gets a small 4th line centre and a runt of a D man who makes Tanev look like a punishing player. I guess one can say his hands were tied by having little cap space. Well, he's the one who tied the fucking knot.
I still have hope that he can be a 20 goal scorer healthy and playing with a healthy Kesler. If that proves out then his salary isn't out of line with I dunno ... clowe maybe?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Measure penises.

"I'm a grower not a show-er" could be heard uttered form the Bettman camp.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And that Swede in Ottawa, er er er er Detroit, broke the pact that all Swedes have, never leave your team. If MG wants the twins back he had better talk extension sooner rather than later.

Ya no kidding why was there a lockout? But the reality is that the cap did go down, the players percentage went down. All we saw was a redistribution of the pie. As far as the owners are concerned it is the overall bottom line that matters not the individual contracts.

But Clowe and Clarkson getting Kesler money and Iginla 6+ with bonuses, gawd....And BB with such venom talking about back diving contracts. What an ego head. I'm sorta glad we were cap strapped or we certainly would have been by the end of the day with worse contracts than we like to complain about now, if that makes sense.
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ukcanuck wrote:Having Booth healthy is like getting a new ufa.
Yep. I'm jumping back onto the Booth bandwagon as we speak. If Booth can play 70+ games, score 23+ goals, and play his usual power game, Booth cap hit is looking like more than fair value.

I think Ryder should kick himself for not having another agent. $7 million over 2 years for his production is a steal in today's UFA market.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:And that Swede in Ottawa, er er er er Detroit, broke the pact that all Swedes have, never leave your team. If MG wants the twins back he had better talk extension sooner rather than later.
Who was that guy? You know, the Swedish fellow. Pretty big, well respected center.....oh right.....Mats Sundin. I can't remember how and where he ended his career..... :P
Hockey Widow wrote: But Clowe and Clarkson getting Kesler money and Iginla 6+ with bonuses, gawd....And BB with such venom talking about back diving contracts. What an ego head. I'm sorta glad we were cap strapped or we certainly would have been by the end of the day with worse contracts than we like to complain about now, if that makes sense.
Iginla's contract is $1.8M per season. The bonuses can take it up to a maximum of $6M. He can get up to a $3.7M bonus for games played, and $500K for goals scored. If Iginla misses as many as 10 games they save half a million. I wonder if he'll be a healthy scratch or something. One thing that this contract makes me wonder is if we are going to see more of these low ball contracts that can add a heavy performance bonus. It's risky business if you are going to spend to the cap every year, but at the same time, how sweet would it have been to have had Booth and Raymond signed to contracts like that? $4.2M suddenly becomes $1.2M, and Raymond is only making $750K. :P

But I agree, I'm glad Gillis didn't have room to offer a guy like Valtteri Filppula $5M.

As for the Sedins, if they were UFA right now they would easily get the same money as Letang. Probably more if there was a team that could afford them both, I'm thinking most teams would be happy if they could have signed the Twins for $15M total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If they test the waters teams will make room. A lot of teams have one buy left and even more still have both. MG does not want to test their resolve to stay. If they feel the team is no longer a contender I can think of 16 teams that will have the money or can find it, several of those are contenders or would be with two players like Hank and Dank on them. Mg has to take this as a warning and they intend to bring them back he can't mess around.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I don't see any deal out there I wish the Canucks had made. That Clowe contract seems really crazy. He's a solid player, but after a great start with NYR, had injuries and was basically over the long haul maybe a 2nd line winger, likely 3rd. Clearly, the Canucks aren't involved cause we're cap screwed, but it is a blessing in disguise. As long as Roberto comes back and is on his game, I'll be interested to see what a Torts and youth injection does for the team. I think they'll still be a playoff team, 5-8 slot, and then we'll see.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Iggie and Alfie deals are obscene. No I in team until one skate is in the retirement home and you don't have an etching on the cup to show the grand kids.

Ribeiro to the broke 'Yotes is another eyebrow raiser.

Clowe, Clarkson (on a line with Lupil could be very good for the Leaves......but after that?) and a few others are high term or salary, but typical of free agent frenzy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
fyp.... Too bad he got hurt. Would have liked to seen him bought out as well.
How soon we forget that he scored 15G in 51 games two years ago with the Canucks. If that's the kind of production we get, that's worth 4.2m on the open market easily.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that we might want to keep that second buyout slot open for Burrows.
Last edited by darren on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Booth gets a ton of flack from Nuck fans, but aside from a few games when he came back from tearing his groin (ouch) this season he's been as advertised. He's physical, drives the net, takes a lot of shots and doesn't score on a lot of them. He's a guy who can drive a line, whether it's the 2nd or 3rd doesn't matter.

I don't see him a s a fit with Kes on a line, but that's ok given Higgy can play with Kes. Put Booth on the 3rd line with either Kassian or Hansen as the RW and he'll do just fine.

This is all assuming he's healthy of course - hopefully his bad luck is over in that regard.