2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:We know that improvements and change for the Canucks will have to come via trade or promotion from within.
On the plus side, we do know that this organization won’t be saddled with any more long term, big money contracts after today!

Anybody have any thoughts on defenseman Ryan O’Byrne? Local guy (Victoria), massive sonovabitch, plays the right side…
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on defenseman Ryan O’Byrne? Local guy (Victoria), massive sonovabitch, plays the right side…
Not that I'm an expert on the guy, but he seems like one of those "dog days of August" type of signing.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:
$lacker wrote: Agreed.... it's been a while since we haven't at least been IN on some of the bigger names.

Maybe Gillis will surprise us and land Iginla or something... give us something to talk about :)
You mean like Garrison last year and Hamhuis not that long ago. And Sundin in Gillis' first year.
Demitra, Samuelsson, Malhotra…
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I have to agree Lancer. No one really signed to day that I would have liked the deal. Either the cap is a little too rich or the term stinks. Some players who would be nice to see on the team but shaking my head at some of these deals.

Komisarek for 1 year at $750,000 would have been a nice depth pick up though but he didn't want to come west. Barbie as a back up would have been nice but as Donnie pointed out he will get more games in Edmonton.
The only HW the Canucks need
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

herb wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
$lacker wrote: Agreed.... it's been a while since we haven't at least been IN on some of the bigger names.

Maybe Gillis will surprise us and land Iginla or something... give us something to talk about :)
You mean like Garrison last year and Hamhuis not that long ago. And Sundin in Gillis' first year.
Demitra, Samuelsson, Malhotra…
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Lancer wrote:
herb wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on defenseman Ryan O’Byrne? Local guy (Victoria), massive sonovabitch, plays the right side…
Not that I'm an expert on the guy, but he seems like one of those "dog days of August" type of signing.[/quote]

I do not disagree, just wondering about the player. I’ve seen him play, but I can’t recall what he’s like other than he’s a 6/7th kind of a guy. An Alberts/O’Byrne 3rd pairing would be huge…let Corrado rip it up in Utica and be an injury call up.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:
Lancer wrote:
herb wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on defenseman Ryan O’Byrne? Local guy (Victoria), massive sonovabitch, plays the right side…
Not that I'm an expert on the guy, but he seems like one of those "dog days of August" type of signing.

I do not disagree, just wondering about the player. I’ve seen him play, but I can’t recall what he’s like other than he’s a 6/7th kind of a guy. An Alberts/O’Byrne 3rd pairing would be huge…let Corrado rip it up in Utica and be an injury call up.
You never know, AA may re-sign in Van (without a complaint from me) but failing that, O'Byrne may be a good insurance policy as 7th D.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote:Not really Donny……
Yeah not really talking about the Hortons and Clowes herb.

Moreso the Gordons and LaBarberas which would have been nice pieces to fill in around what we really have.

Gisele Bundchen would be nice but I could live with Bridget Moynahan.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

$lacker wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
I’m not sure I get your point….you’re upset the Canucks didn’t sign Horton for 7 freaking years or two goal Ryan Clowe for 5? I’m not sure exactly what big names we’re really missing out on here…
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

herb wrote:
$lacker wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
I’m not sure I get your point….you’re upset the Canucks didn’t sign Horton for 7 freaking years or two goal Ryan Clowe for 5? I’m not sure exactly what big names we’re really missing out on here…
I was agreeing with Donny and saying that it feels odd not being in on some of the big names. Didn't say I thought the Canucks SHOULD be in on them, just that it has a different feel from other years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

According to Botchford we've signed Dan Cleary to a two year deal.

edit: actually according to Botch, two hours ago it was "Cleary to the canucks 2 year deal" .. nothing since.

edit 2: that is not Jason Botchford's twitter account.
Last edited by dbr on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

$lacker wrote:I was agreeing with Donny and saying that it feels odd not being in on some of the big names. Didn't say I thought the Canucks SHOULD be in on them, just that it has a different feel from other years.
Sorry for the lack of insight on my part…I have a freaking head cold in July, a shit ton of work to do that I don’t want to do and the Canucks have no god damn cap space…I agree it’s odd not being in on the action! Looks like we’ll be digging into the lost and found to round out our roster this time ‘round…

Hearing on the twat(ter) that the Canucks are talking to Blum.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

herb wrote:
$lacker wrote:I was agreeing with Donny and saying that it feels odd not being in on some of the big names. Didn't say I thought the Canucks SHOULD be in on them, just that it has a different feel from other years.
Sorry for the lack of insight on my part…I have a freaking head cold in July, a shit ton of work to do that I don’t want to do and the Canucks have no god damn cap space…I agree it’s odd not being in on the action! Looks like we’ll be digging into the lost and found to round out our roster this time ‘round…

Hearing on the twat(ter) that the Canucks are talking to Blum.
All good.

Cleary would be a decent signing... hopefully for not more than 1.5mill.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Talk about over payment. Reports leaves close to a 7 year close to 6 million per for Clarkson.

Again FA day shows why you must lock up your RFA and UFA as soon as you can.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:According to Botchford we've signed Dan Cleary to a two year deal.

edit: actually according to Botch, two hours ago it was "Cleary to the canucks 2 year deal" .. nothing since.
That's an odd signing, considering Cleary's 34 years old and more of a 3rd-line winger than a 3rd-line centre.

I mean, nice pick-up (depending on cap hit) if he was a year younger and we weren't so sotcked with 3rd line wingers and all.

I guess we'll see... :?

Hate the League.