Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Yep. In three years they'll be wondering why they're paying him $6m and change for another three years to play on the third line..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am

...indeed, there is always the point of no return on these things where the contract becomes so unpalatable.

Clarkson at 29, 3 years at 5 million per...awesome!!

Clarkson at 32 3 MORE years at 5 million...perhaps not as much so...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm

The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.



Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.



Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.


Jesus, he's still on LTIR?

They should keep him on it for the first half of the season and sign a UFA then...
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby SKYO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.


iirc the Booth - Kesler - Higgins line was playing really well together, but AV never seemed to want to leave that line as is, always trying to keep Higgins on the 3rd line, or Booth/RK got injured, if that line can stay together and be healthy, Booth should have a monster season. *hope
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 pm

SKYO wrote:iirc the Booth - Kesler - Higgins line was playing really well together,

Great short term memory Skyo. What nanosecond were all three healthy?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby SKYO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:iirc the Booth - Kesler - Higgins line was playing really well together,

Great short term memory Skyo. What nanosecond were all three healthy?


Yeah unfortunately health is the main concern regarding Kesler and Booth.


For the bored canucks fans out there haha, here is a coupla interesting articles of the AMEX line.


"Booth knows Kesler and fellow American Higgins very well. He was a teammate of Higgins’ for part of last season with the Panthers and grew up playing minor hockey in the Detroit area with Kesler.

Kesler and Booth go way back. They played a couple of years of minor hockey together in their early teens and then were teammates on the U.S. developmental squad and played on the same world junior team.

“I’ve been on so many championships with him,” Booth said. “I’m really looking forward to it because he’s a champion and a great leader.”

“He has scored 30 in this league before so obviously he’s a pretty good player,” added Kesler.

“He just brings that speed and grit and it’s another deadly shot on our line.”

Higgins was Booth’s teammate in Florida last season before he was dealt to the Canucks at the trade deadline. He thinks Booth’s speed may be his biggest asset to the line.

“He’s super fast,” Higgins said. “He’s going to leave me behind, that’s for sure. He’s that fast. He’s a powerful skater, he’s low to the ice and generates a lot of speed very quickly, so it’s tough for a defence to handle that kind of speed.”

Higgins, whose career seemed to be resuscitated when he joined the Canucks, thinks Booth will also benefit from playing with better players than he did in Florida.

“That’s the fun part of playing with this team,” Higgins said.

“You realize when you come here after playing a couple of games, it’s like, wow, you have the puck a lot and you enjoy having the puck and you can make some plays and he is certainly capable of doing that. So we are excited.”
~Brad Ziemer
Vancouver Sun
http://bit.ly/17PDiOf

----

Some observations this year: http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/20/tale-o ... n-the-wing

It's no secret that the Vancouver Canucks have missed the services of their two best play-driving forwards, Ryan Kesler and David Booth, this season. The two American power forwards have combined to play just 19 games thus far this season, leaving a big void on the second line.

To the surprise of no one, the Canucks have had a tough time finding the back of the net as a result. While the team has actually been able to sustain a dominant puck-possession game, but it just currently doesn't boast the offensive artillery to capitalize on it.

So we know just how much the Canucks as a team have missed them. But one player in particular has missed their services the most, and has found himself in a world of hurt as a result.

In November, I wrote a glowing article about Chris Higgins where I did everything but personally shine his abs. His play had warranted it.

Every team needs a Higgins of their own to get the job done under the radar. He was able to register 43 points in 71 games, fired 2.3 shots on goal/game, and led the Canucks in scoring chances/60 when adusted for zone starts. He was able to register 43 points in 71 games, fired 2.3 shots on goal/game, and led the Canucks in scoring chances/60 when adusted for zone starts. He played a large chunk of his 5v5 minutes with some combination of Ryan Kesler (56.0%), Jannik Hansen (41.3%), and David Booth (26.8%).

When the AMEX line was in action, they crushed to the tune of a corsi rate exceeding 60%. A thing of beauty, really.

Unfortunately for Higgins, his running mates have left him hanging this season. His most common linemates have been Hansen (55.9%), Kassian (28.4%), and Lapierre (27.2%). Let's take a look at how he has fared:

Image
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NzVanFan and 2 guests

cron