Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 am

donlever wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hopefully Eye Bags has his chubby paws...

...seriously, have u ever seen a dude sweat so much just standing there

I mean Dave Nonis thinks GMMG eats to many cheeseburgers.

He needs to mix in a salad with the gallon of red he drinks every night. It's a little fucked when the guy is just sitting in a chair and sweating like a cub scout at the Neverland ranch.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Hank » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 am

This is a crazy yet BOLD trade by Chiarelli. A young proven offensive centerman picked 2nd overall don't just grow on trees.

Loui Eriksson and Vern Fiddler? Really? He couldn't pry away Jamie Benn instead?

Jim Nill. Respek.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I expected Dallas to be very active this off season as they are one of the teams with cap space to do so.

Kessel and Kelly for Erickson, Fiddler, Eakin and Hamilton
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:09 pm

...seems as if Joe Morrow may be involved in the Star Bruin deal as well.

As an aside Patrick Elias is gonna rake in 16.5 mill for the next 3 years.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Seguin Peverley and Ryan Button for Erikkson Morrow Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Nice to see a huge trade for once! a true Blockbuster.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby ESQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Darren Dreger wrote:The Bruins traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

Terrible trade for Dallas. I don't get this one at all.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:29 pm

ESQ wrote:
Darren Dreger wrote:The Bruins traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

Terrible trade for Dallas. I don't get this one at all.

Unless Nill and Ruff can screw the kid's head on straight, I agree.

Wager this will be a trade that will be talked about a couple years down the road.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Too bad Boston got their hands on Eriksson. He looked really good with the twins at the world championship.
I was hoping he could be BC bound. :(
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Good for Ballard. Obviously there is one GM out there who still wants him, just not @ $4.2m per year.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Two-year, $3 million deal for Keith Ballard with #mnwild
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Now the trade between Boston/Dallas is a blockbuster.

Makes everything MG has done look like chump change. Also Boston is not worried about changing the core when needed, again not something MG would ever do.

Yes I understand these deals don't happen a lot and you need 2 teams to tangle, yada yada yada.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Seems to me that Seguin might have got a case of the Hodgson's or something. You know thinking he deserves promotion up through the lineup despite his play.

I also don't think he was a part of the core just yet and they clearly decided that they weren't sure he could be a part of the true core this upcoming season. With his $5.75 mil price tag not being part of the core simply wasn't an option.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Now the trade between Boston/Dallas is a blockbuster.

Makes everything MG has done look like chump change. Also Boston is not worried about changing the core when needed, again not something MG would ever do.

Yes I understand these deals don't happen a lot and you need 2 teams to tangle, yada yada yada.

Well Boston just traded a $5.7M 60 point guy with an attitude (allegedly) to Dallas and got a $4.2M 70 point guy who has a great reputation.

They also dumped a 3rd/4th line centerman who put up 2 points and was a -10 in the playoffs this year. Tossed in a former 3rd round pick and got 3 prospects in return, two of them being former 1st and 3rd round picks.

Boston also has the added bonus of having some very desirable assets throughout the lineup that were NOT already inked to deals that included NTC's. Even with this trade, the oldest player in their top 9 is Chris Kelly, and he's 32, Paille is 29, everyone else is 27 or younger. This trade does not hurt Boston's future, and when you consider Jagr's age, and Horton's departure, then you realize that Boston's key wingers on the right side are pretty weak. Lucic, Marchand, Paille, and Thronton fill out the left side, only 2 of those guys work in the top 6. They are going to have to re-sign Rask and probably need to add one more top 6 winger, and maybe a depth forward and NHL ready 6/7 guy on the blueline. They have $9M worth of cap space to work with right now, Rask will eat at least $4.5M of that, probably closer to $5.5M. They might just find themselves feeling a bit thin up front next year, even with Eriksson.

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - _______
Paille - Kelly - _______
Thornton - Campbell - _______

They have Soderberg, Caron, and a few others, that haven't seen much NHL action yet.

That's going to be a tough roster to fill out, and I'm thinking they are hoping that either Joe Morrow and Reilly Smith might be ready for spots. Caron and Morrow are both former 1st round picks, so they should be close to being ready to contribute.

The Bruins did what any smart team in their position would do, the made a small future sacrifice in letting Seguin go, gave up some depth, and got a return that adds to their speed and offense, and perhaps some young players who might be ready to replace the depth they lost, if not now then probably next year, and in the future both Morrow and Smith could potentially push for regular spots on the 2nd and 3rd line.

I WISH we had some of the signed depth that Gillis could have moved out like that, but we don't. Our bottom 6 was fairly undesirable outside of Hansen, and most of them were RFA/UFA.

Gillis bargaining chips were Schneider, Edler, Burrows, Hansen, and Tanev. Edler and Burrows aren't easy bargaining chips any more. So he missed that window of opportunity. He could have made a real splash with Edler and Hansen in a package, something akin to what the Bruins and Stars just did.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:05 pm

The Stars, meanwhile, have turned around and acquired Shawn Horcoff.

Next two years they can have Peverly-Horcoff-Cole as their $13.25m third line.. the "Cost Certainty" line
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby darren » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 am

tantalum wrote:Seems to me that Seguin might have got a case of the Hodgson's or something. You know thinking he deserves promotion up through the lineup despite his play.

I also don't think he was a part of the core just yet and they clearly decided that they weren't sure he could be a part of the true core this upcoming season. With his $5.75 mil price tag not being part of the core simply wasn't an option.

I guess people can stop ragging on the Leafs for the Kessel trade now.
darren
CC Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat