Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr »

Guys like Lapierre should be prime candidates to feel the squeeze in the cap crunch - if he gets $3m per from some team out there his agent should be using that as his calling card (like Player Agent Mike Gillis with that ridonk contract he got for Bobby Holik).
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

I dont think Lapierre will be back. Canucks need to change the way everyone views the organization and letting him go is part of it.

I doubt his replacement will be as good but his baggage is too much.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Lapiere...
An in your face agitator who ducks and runs and pisses the other team off,
like we have a glut of those.

Perhaps with a new coach who doesn't find it necessary to overly respect the other team and who doesn't speak French
Maybe lapiere has a place?

just musing here.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So we have Tom Gilbert being bought out by Minnesota, Filip Kuba getting a not-compliance buy out from Florida, Nathan Gerbe also getting a not-compliance buy out in Buffalo, Carlo Coliaiacovo getting a compliance buy out in Detroit.. Chicago is using their buyouts on Olesz and Montador, and of course the guys we already know about (Vinny, Briere, Bryz, Ballard, Komisarek, Kaberle)..
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933

Knowing Nonis, he'll clear cap space with this move, then fail to sign anyone to fill that cap space :lol:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

ESQ wrote:Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933

Knowing Nonis, he'll clear cap space with this move, then fail to sign anyone to fill that cap space :lol:
Better yet - he'll use the space to overpay Bozak!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ESQ wrote:Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933
I don't understand how this 48 hour thing works.

Wouldn't that push the leaves past the deadline for the compliance buyout period if he was just put on unconditional waivers today?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I don't understand how this 48 hour thing works.

Wouldn't that push the leaves past the deadline for the compliance buyout period if he was just put on unconditional waivers today?
It's Toronto, so you know the league won't care. Pretty sure they could buy the guy out two weeks from now with impunity if they wanted to.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I'd be surprised if Nonis didn't have David Clarkson on the brain being a TO kid and how he seems to fill many of their (similarly to our) needs.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yep. In three years they'll be wondering why they're paying him $6m and change for another three years to play on the third line..
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...indeed, there is always the point of no return on these things where the contract becomes so unpalatable.

Clarkson at 29, 3 years at 5 million per...awesome!!

Clarkson at 32 3 MORE years at 5 million...perhaps not as much so...
DeLevering since 1999.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.

Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.
Jesus, he's still on LTIR?

They should keep him on it for the first half of the season and sign a UFA then...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote: I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.
iirc the Booth - Kesler - Higgins line was playing really well together, but AV never seemed to want to leave that line as is, always trying to keep Higgins on the 3rd line, or Booth/RK got injured, if that line can stay together and be healthy, Booth should have a monster season. *hope
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.