Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:10 am

Guys like Lapierre should be prime candidates to feel the squeeze in the cap crunch - if he gets $3m per from some team out there his agent should be using that as his calling card (like Player Agent Mike Gillis with that ridonk contract he got for Bobby Holik).

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by black ace » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 am

I dont think Lapierre will be back. Canucks need to change the way everyone views the organization and letting him go is part of it.

I doubt his replacement will be as good but his baggage is too much.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ukcanuck » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 am

Lapiere...
An in your face agitator who ducks and runs and pisses the other team off,
like we have a glut of those.

Perhaps with a new coach who doesn't find it necessary to overly respect the other team and who doesn't speak French
Maybe lapiere has a place?

just musing here.

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:47 pm

So we have Tom Gilbert being bought out by Minnesota, Filip Kuba getting a not-compliance buy out from Florida, Nathan Gerbe also getting a not-compliance buy out in Buffalo, Carlo Coliaiacovo getting a compliance buy out in Detroit.. Chicago is using their buyouts on Olesz and Montador, and of course the guys we already know about (Vinny, Briere, Bryz, Ballard, Komisarek, Kaberle)..

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by ESQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:31 am

Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933

Knowing Nonis, he'll clear cap space with this move, then fail to sign anyone to fill that cap space :lol:

User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Southern_Canuck » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:48 am

ESQ wrote:Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933

Knowing Nonis, he'll clear cap space with this move, then fail to sign anyone to fill that cap space :lol:
Better yet - he'll use the space to overpay Bozak!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Aaronp18 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 am

ESQ wrote:Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933
I don't understand how this 48 hour thing works.

Wouldn't that push the Leaves past the deadline for the compliance buyout period if he was just put on unconditional waivers today?

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Lancer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:04 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
ESQ wrote:Grabovski on waivers in Toronto http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426933
I don't understand how this 48 hour thing works.

Wouldn't that push the Leaves past the deadline for the compliance buyout period if he was just put on unconditional waivers today?
It's Toronto, so you know the league won't care. Pretty sure they could buy the guy out two weeks from now with impunity if they wanted to.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:18 am

I'd be surprised if Nonis didn't have David Clarkson on the brain being a TO kid and how he seems to fill many of their (similarly to our) needs.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Yep. In three years they'll be wondering why they're paying him $6m and change for another three years to play on the third line..

User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am

...indeed, there is always the point of no return on these things where the contract becomes so unpalatable.

Clarkson at 29, 3 years at 5 million per...awesome!!

Clarkson at 32 3 MORE years at 5 million...perhaps not as much so...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4171
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm

The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13251
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.

Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4171
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:The Canucks should be looking at using their second CBO on Booth.

I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.

We really need to upgrade our top-six scoring and if Burrows is staying then the Boothster is the odd man out.

Trading Edler or Bieksa is an option as well, but only if we replace them with another high-end defenceman.... we would be so thin on the back end if we replace them with a scrub.

Next year they can. This year they can't because he is still on LTIR. Now they could use a regular buy out once the season starts but the buy out would count against the cap. But they still would gain around 3 million in cap and would keep on compliance buy out for next year if they need it.
Jesus, he's still on LTIR?

They should keep him on it for the first half of the season and sign a UFA then...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9375
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Rumsfeld wrote: I'd love to believe he's going to be motivated and can have a comeback 25-goal season and stay healthy.... but given his performance last year there's not a helluva lot of reason to think it will happen. He did have some chemistry with Kassian but he doesn't complement Kesler at all.
iirc the Booth - Kesler - Higgins line was playing really well together, but AV never seemed to want to leave that line as is, always trying to keep Higgins on the 3rd line, or Booth/RK got injured, if that line can stay together and be healthy, Booth should have a monster season. *hope
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Post Reply