Hansen - contract extension needed!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Hansen - contract extension needed!!!

Post by Topper »

Burrows hate?

I advocated trading Burrows over a year ago (looks Strangelove square in the eye, notices him bow his head to nervously look at his shuffling feet as he turns and slinks away) but it was nothing to do with hate.

Bigger, younger, faster.

Alex is a smart two way player, but he is getting on in years and I saw it as time to move him while his value was still high. He had just come off a strong veteran leadership role on team Canada at the WC when I first suggested trading him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Here's what concerns me with trading Burrows - When the Canucks were at their best they had 4 50-point scorers and 2 40 goal scorers. Our 40 goal guys are down, but may be able to crack 30. Our 50-point guys are all gone (Raymond, Sammy, Ehrhoff, Burrows).

Sammy hasn't been replaced. I don't know how Raymond is going to be replaced. Maybe Booth gets the touch back, maybe a FA works out, maybe Kassian ups his game....or you can rely on Burrows to score 25 goals.

After losing two key goal-scorers, I just don't see how Burrows is expendable. I'd trade him to upgrade scoring, sure, but who trades a young 25-goal scorer for Burrows?

Moving Burrows is an awesome move in a re-build, not so sure its a good move when you still want to push for a Cup.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Burrows brings too much to the table that the team needs that just can't be replaced for cheaper in trade - especially his ability to play with the Twins (to a point that no one else has been able to duplicate).

Back to the thread at hand - IIRC Hansen has progressed offensively every year, and there's no doubting that his trending can continue. He forechecks with speed, gets his face in the dirty areas and doesn't back down. He's never going to pummel anybody, nor will he set the league afire in scoring, but he fits well in a number of ways and is a good support player.

Just no NTC/NMC.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

In the era of Money Hockey, Hansen is a great fit if we can get him for $1.5-$2mil per season. His numbers are good for a 3rd liner, and he brings a ton of energy.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Lock up Hansen. No brainer.

Burrows = irreplaceable. You might be able to replace burrows numbers. But you can't replace his heart.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

griz wrote: Burrows = irreplaceable. You might be able to replace burrows numbers. But you can't replace his heart.
...would you trade Burrows straight up for David Clarkson?
DeLevering since 1999.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

donlever wrote:
griz wrote: Burrows = irreplaceable. You might be able to replace burrows numbers. But you can't replace his heart.
...would you trade Burrows straight up for David Clarkson?
Unless you were certain he could replace Burrows' chemistry with the Sedins, nope.

You also have to factor in what message that move would send to the dressing room. Like it or not, Burr is an integral part of the core. You punt him out, you may as well punt Kes and Bieksa while letting the Twins walk next year.

...unless that was your plan to begin with???

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...so tired of the mollycoddling of these guys.

If the Sedins can't succeed without Burrows our problems would appear bigger than they currently look.

It would seem the message you refer to has to change as well using the past two playoff performances as reference.

Put me in the trade Burrows find a way to sign Clarkson group.

With he and Kass in our top 9 we are well on our way to having the "stiffness" our new coaching staff would appear to desire.
DeLevering since 1999.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

donlever wrote:...so tired of the mollycoddling of these guys.

If the Sedins can't succeed without Burrows our problems would appear bigger than they currently look.

It would seem the message you refer to has to change as well using the past two playoff performances as reference.

With he and Kass in our top 9 we are well on our way to having the "stiffness" our new coaching staff would appear to desire.
Why does this sound like 97-98 all over again??? :?

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

....trading Burrows and signing Clarkson makes you think of 97-98?!

Are we hanging 14 in the rafters beside 16?
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Lancer wrote: Unless you were certain he could replace Burrows' chemistry with the Sedins, nope.
While Burrows success with the Sedin's should not be understated pretty much everyone that plays with them puts up career numbers. It's pretty safe to say that if we placed Kassian there full time he would succeed and possibly add more than Burrows can because of his style of play.

Burrows can bring back more youth to stock the cupboards further and perhaps even an additional roster player. Plus cap space to actually pursue a free agent or two.

If it makes the teams better, move him. It's that simple.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I would hang onto Burrows for now and deal the bible beater. Since his name hasn't come up in any rumors lately and that is the m.o. of Eye Bags maybe we can turf this loser and really open up some cap space.

Rumor is the leaves are ready to pony up 5 - 6 mill per year for Clarkson. A little rich for my blood. How about Clowe or iginla instead for less money . Sorry to derail this thread. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:...so tired of the mollycoddling of these guys.

The hallmark of great players is the ability to adjust your game to your age and experience...Yzerman did this to perfection...I agree with your sentiments...it is time they adjust to their line mate...Kassian looked awesome with them and challenged them to play differently because of the young energy he shit out all around our opponents net :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...yep, if Clarkson is 6 mill forget it, but if he is 5 he and Burrows pretty much offset don't they? And David is 3 years younger no?

Then if we can buy youth or picks in moving Alex our future develops even more so than it did last week.

Booth be pretty tough to trade right now I would think eh?
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah I don't think you're finding any takers for Booth unless you want to pay some of his salary, or throw in a draft pick or something.

I assume the Burrows or Hansen thing comes from the fact that you could actually find a taker for those two, maybe even someone willing to give up something of value in return.