Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby tantalum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Stoll rushed to hospital after having seizure. He is fine and expected to be released. No cause given at this time and they likely won't be able to actually determine one I'm guessing.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/LosAngeles/2013/07/03/20948331.html
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:06 pm

ORCA wrote:Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.


Uhhhh....if you're into gunts I guess she wouldn't have the kind of body you're interested in.

Anyway, wtf is with these guys who want to play their extremely short pro sports careers in “quieter” markets?

Sounds like Horton spent the day checking out Columbus.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:15 pm

herb wrote:
ORCA wrote:Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.


Uhhhh....if you're into gunts I guess she wouldn't have the kind of body you're interested in.

Anyway, wtf is with these guys who want to play their extremely short pro sports careers in “quieter” markets?

Sounds like Horton spent the day checking out Columbus.



apparently sarcasm was not evident enough.

Re: Work Preferences

Some people don't like to be bothered every time they walk down the street. They are 'matter-of-fact' about their career, about not being a super-star, and the money they make and role they play would not change much no matter where they play.

Also, cost of living has a lot to do with it. I would wager that Nathan Horton's salary would carry him and Ms. Plante a lot further in Columbus (as you've said) than it would in Boston.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:28 pm

ORCA wrote:apparently sarcasm was not evident enough.

Re: Work Preferences

Some people don't like to be bothered every time they walk down the street. They are 'matter-of-fact' about their career, about not being a super-star, and the money they make and role they play would not change much no matter where they play.

Also, cost of living has a lot to do with it. I would wager that Nathan Horton's salary would carry him and Ms. Plante a lot further in Columbus (as you've said) than it would in Boston.


Sarcasm fail on my part…

I get wanting to live in a smaller market to a certain point, but these guys have such short careers. Seems like a waste when they’ll have 50 years to get away from it all once they retire.

Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

If cost of living was a big factor, you’d see every UFA clamouring to sign in Texas (a no income tax state). Most of these guys want to live the life. They live in big houses, drive flash cars, etc.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:42 pm

herb wrote:Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

If cost of living was a big factor, you’d see every UFA clamouring to sign in Texas (a no income tax state). Most of these guys want to live the life. They live in big houses, drive flash cars, etc.


Absolutely true. Most want to, and most do.

Some hate the pressure and media circus.
Some people who value their "luxury" differently than others. Call it some innate sense of responsibility, or whatever. Some people just really value their private life.

I dunno... its hard to say what I'd do with a medium sized NHL contract for 10-12 years of my life. I'm sure I'd have my fun, but I'd be painfully aware of the end and sock a lot of it away.... at least enough for an education.

Speaking of... why don't more of these guys take summer courses in preparation for the afterlife? Craig MacT did it and now he can fuck up a whole hockey team single handedly. Imagine what others could do...
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 pm

ORCA wrote:
herb wrote:Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

If cost of living was a big factor, you’d see every UFA clamouring to sign in Texas (a no income tax state). Most of these guys want to live the life. They live in big houses, drive flash cars, etc.


Absolutely true. Most want to, and most do.

Some hate the pressure and media circus.
Some people who value their "luxury" differently than others. Call it some innate sense of responsibility, or whatever. Some people just really value their private life.

I dunno... its hard to say what I'd do with a medium sized NHL contract for 10-12 years of my life. I'm sure I'd have my fun, but I'd be painfully aware of the end and sock a lot of it away.... at least enough for an education.

Speaking of... why don't more of these guys take summer courses in preparation for the afterlife? Craig MacT did it and now he can fuck up a whole hockey team single handedly. Imagine what others could do...


Ya but Mac T got a head start when he was in prison. Not a fair comparison. I mean he had all that free time.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby SKYO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am

Big trade in the works

Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. :shock:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:15 am

SKYO wrote:Big trade in the works

Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. :shock:


I guess that would take away their appetite for Alfredsson, no?

That still leaves Detroit as a suitor, but I find it hard to believe Alfredsson would play anywhere but Ottawa. No doubt exercising some dubious leverage for his last contract.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 am

Twitter is abuzz with news that the Bruins are moving Seguin to Dallas for Loui Eriksson in a five player deal.

I have no idea why Boston would consider moving a 21 year old centre who is already nearly a 30 goal, 70 point guy. I like Eriksson, but come on…
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 am

herb wrote:Twitter is abuzz with news that the Bruins are moving Seguin to Dallas for Loui Eriksson in a five player deal.

I have no idea why Boston would consider moving a 21 year old centre who is already nearly a 30 goal, 70 point guy. I like Eriksson, but come on…


I suspect this has personal issues written all over it. I've seen some of Chiarelli's comments regarding Seguin's commitment to being a pro, and suspect that they are not happy with how this kid is trending. Couple that with, perhaps, an underwhelming playoffs this past spring and you may see a trade similar to the Richards/Carter trades - an organization trading a young star player with whom they have issues regarding off-ice habits.

Again, just a suspicion. Otherwise, you're quite right.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ORCA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 am

TO DAL: Seguin, C. Kelly

TO BOS: Eriksson, Fiddler, Eakin

Source: Pierre LeBrun's twitter feed
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:48 am

...apparently Jim Nill is not afraid of bold moves.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51 am

Big trade- seems to adress needs for both clubs.

Hopefully Eye Bags has his chubby paws near the reset button because I still think it needs to be pushed a couple more times.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3146
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

herb wrote:Twitter is abuzz with news that the Bruins are moving Seguin to Dallas for Loui Eriksson in a five player deal.

I have no idea why Boston would consider moving a 21 year old centre who is already nearly a 30 goal, 70 point guy. I like Eriksson, but come on…


Ummm...one could argue the reason YOUR BOSTON BRUINS lost the Stanley Cup Championship was the poor playoff performance of the young Tyler Seguin....
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5185
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hopefully Eye Bags has his chubby paws...



...seriously, have u ever seen a dude sweat so much just standing there

I mean Dave Nonis thinks GMMG eats to many cheeseburgers.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hockey Widow and 2 guests